Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand for 8-10 days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

All,

I will be spending ~9 days(end of May to early June) to tour New Zealand(flying into AKL). My plan is to rent a car and eventually get to Queenstown. This will be my first trip to New Zealand with the girlfriend(We are in our mid 20s).

I just booked the flights but have not dived into planning what to do/where to stay/ etc etc.

Some questions that come to mind is...

1) Will I be okay driving the whole way?(any snow conditions?)
2) What's the average night for hotels? Any recommendations in Auckland, Wellington, Queenstown?
3) What are the must dos along the way?

Thanks for the initial help. I'm going to start my research tomorrow and will sure have other questions.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the 9 days include travel time or on the ground in NZ?

For 9 days I would skip driving AKL-WLG. Spend time in AKL and to the north and fly to Queenstown. It will take a longer time to drive than you think.

Most rental car require you to drop of in WLG and pick up a new car in Picton after arrving by ferry. The ferrry trip is good

May June will be refreshing, especially in Queenstown Getting to skiing time.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I don't think you will run into snow. My Kiwi friends told me there is a saying about snow and skiing and the first part is "May no way, June, still too soon" but you will run into a lot of rain.

To drive from AKL to ZQN with stops along the way is quite aggressive in 9 days. You wil see when you get there, it really isn't much time. The country is very comparable to the size of California with the population of Colorado (4 mil).

In AKL, I suggest 2 nights max. There are much better places to go/see. And really, with the amount of time you will be there and depending on interests, I say skip it altogether. Wellington would be 2-3 nights, Queenstown I always talk my clients into 3-4 and they are so happy they did a longer stay, and in general, I would say most towns 2-3 nights is best.

There is just a lot more to do in the country than most give it credit for from hiking, biking, wine tasting, cultural activities, LOTR/Hobbit/other movie related things to do, etc.

I was there last May early in the month and had the best time.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Does the 9 days include travel time or on the ground in NZ?

For 9 days I would skip driving AKL-WLG. Spend time in AKL and to the north and fly to Queenstown. It will take a longer time to drive than you think.

Most rental car require you to drop of in WLG and pick up a new car in Picton after arrving by ferry. The ferrry trip is good

9 days will be ground time in NZ. I wanted a "tour" of NZ so I was thinking of driving the whole way down.

Originally Posted by Travel K
I don't think you will run into snow. My Kiwi friends told me there is a saying about snow and skiing and the first part is "May no way, June, still too soon" but you will run into a lot of rain.

To drive from AKL to ZQN with stops along the way is quite aggressive in 9 days. You wil see when you get there, it really isn't much time. The country is very comparable to the size of California with the population of Colorado (4 mil).

In AKL, I suggest 2 nights max. There are much better places to go/see. And really, with the amount of time you will be there and depending on interests, I say skip it altogether. Wellington would be 2-3 nights, Queenstown I always talk my clients into 3-4 and they are so happy they did a longer stay, and in general, I would say most towns 2-3 nights is best.

There is just a lot more to do in the country than most give it credit for from hiking, biking, wine tasting, cultural activities, LOTR/Hobbit/other movie related things to do, etc.

I was there last May early in the month and had the best time.
Yeah I think AKL should be fairly quick to go around. I'm not sure what there is to do in Queenstown yet...but I heard a lot of great things about it.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

What would be an average fare from QZN-SYD-AKL in early June? I'm seeing the roundtrip to cost roughly $300-$350 with Quantas/Emirates/Air NewZealand/Virgin Atlantic. Are there any low cost carriers? First time to this part of the world...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I assume you mean ZQN? Why go through Sydney to go to Auckland? Jetstar is a low cost carrier, but I would stick with the major carriers as I haven't heard good things about Jetstar. They might be fine though. Use google flights or ITA matrix to play with pricing for ideas.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Hi, and happy trip planning!

I too am in the midst of mapping out a trip to New Zealand next year. So, full disclosure, I am far from an expert. But, based on the research I have done thus far, it strikes me that 9 nights is simply not enough time to transit the entire length of the country by car without the constant pressure of having to move on quickly to meet the daily schedule. Also, while it is my understanding that NZ does not have a rainy season per se, clearly you will be heading into the colder season which may impact the portions of the country where you want to spend the bulk of your visit (the north island has much of more of a mediterranean climate transitioning to subtropical in the far north). So, a couple of thoughts in mind:

1. assuming you are arriving early morning from the US (your tag line indicates you are SFO based) then why not consider immediately connecting to an internal flight within NZ, leaving a brief stay in Auckland till the end.
2. given the limited time, it might make sense to concentrate most of the visit on either the North OR South Island but not both. The typography and climate are so different North to South that you should focus on those elements most appealing to you and then synch up the journey accordingly.
3. from what I have read many (but not everyone, and I am sure others on the board will point this out) have said Queenstown is a must do. And visiting Milford Sound is supposed to be a highlight. Weather is variable here, so everything I have read indicates that it is important to dedicate at least 3 nights to Queenstown in order to have at least one or two "reserve days" for visiting Milford Sound in case of inclement weather
4.Given variable weather in Queenstown and surrounds, it might be good to have a "buffer" day in Auckland to connect to your transpacific flight. So, that dovetails nicely in leaving Auckland for the end.
5. Many say the ferry across the Cook Strait can be beautiful. However it is not a quick trip (3-4 hours to Picton, much more to Christchurch), and Wellington (where the ferry departs) is known as "Windy Welly". So, if you are prone to seasickness (like me, for instance), flying from North to South may not only be the more efficient option given limited timing, but also may be more reliable/enjoyable as unless the winds are very high, planes are more likely to operate than the ferry.

With all that said, if you reserve at least 3 nights for Queenstown and 1 night for Auckland at the end, then you only have five nights remaining. Really not that many days if you think about all the options. And, btw, internal flights are not very expensive (competition between Jetstar and Air New Zealand appears to keep pricing highly affordable). So, I for one would encourage you to incorporate one, if not two short hops into your trip to cover ground efficiently. Then the motor journey can be much more focused on those sights you really want to see.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:06 pm

duplicate, post deleted

Last edited by wanderlustFL; Dec 1, 2015 at 5:09 pm Reason: duplicate post
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderlustFL
Hi, and happy trip planning!

I too am in the midst of mapping out a trip to New Zealand next year. So, full disclosure, I am far from an expert. But, based on the research I have done thus far, it strikes me that 9 nights is simply not enough time to transit the entire length of the country by car without the constant pressure of having to move on quickly to meet the daily schedule. Also, while it is my understanding that NZ does not have a rainy season per se, clearly you will be heading into the colder season which may impact the portions of the country where you want to spend the bulk of your visit (the north island has much of more of a mediterranean climate transitioning to subtropical in the far north). So, a couple of thoughts in mind:

1. assuming you are arriving early morning from the US (your tag line indicates you are SFO based) then why not consider immediately connecting to an internal flight within NZ, leaving a brief stay in Auckland till the end.
2. given the limited time, it might make sense to concentrate most of the visit on either the North OR South Island but not both. The typography and climate are so different North to South that you should focus on those elements most appealing to you and then synch up the journey accordingly.
3. from what I have read many (but not everyone, and I am sure others on the board will point this out) have said Queenstown is a must do. And visiting Milford Sound is supposed to be a highlight. Weather is variable here, so everything I have read indicates that it is important to dedicate at least 3 nights to Queenstown in order to have at least one or two "reserve days" for visiting Milford Sound in case of inclement weather
4.Given variable weather in Queenstown and surrounds, it might be good to have a "buffer" day in Auckland to connect to your transpacific flight. So, that dovetails nicely in leaving Auckland for the end.
5. Many say the ferry across the Cook Strait can be beautiful. However it is not a quick trip (3-4 hours to Picton, much more to Christchurch), and Wellington (where the ferry departs) is known as "Windy Welly". So, if you are prone to seasickness (like me, for instance), flying from North to South may not only be the more efficient option given limited timing, but also may be more reliable/enjoyable as unless the winds are very high, planes are more likely to operate than the ferry.

With all that said, if you reserve at least 3 nights for Queenstown and 1 night for Auckland at the end, then you only have five nights remaining. Really not that many days if you think about all the options. And, btw, internal flights are not very expensive (competition between Jetstar and Air New Zealand appears to keep pricing highly affordable). So, I for one would encourage you to incorporate one, if not two short hops into your trip to cover ground efficiently. Then the motor journey can be much more focused on those sights you really want to see.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.
Really appreciate the detailed comments. I will definitely keep a short hop in mind. I will keep you posted on my thoughts and may have questions later on. What do you suggest for lodging?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
4 weeks on the South Island

We spent four weeks driving around the South Island this June, & I can tell you WanderlustFL's comments are pretty much bang on. This comment - on the other hand is inaccurate:

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Specifically, we encountered no snow driving to/from Queenstown (from Dunedin). At most, what we saw was snow in the high mountain passes i.e. great scenery & lots of sheep en route!

I strongly recommend you go to Tea Anu and do the Milford Sound cruise. Incredible! For deals on tours and hotels, check out this WEB site and monitor it every couple of days for deals:

https://www.bookme.co.nz/

Also, I recommend you check out staying at hostels. They are pretty much self-catering, are Trip Advisor rated, and way cheaper than hotels. Also, @ that time of year, no need to book in advance:

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/hos...ns-hostels.htm

Last but not least, you MUST see Christchurch post the earthquake.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by emofeng
Really appreciate the detailed comments. I will definitely keep a short hop in mind. I will keep you posted on my thoughts and may have questions later on. What do you suggest for lodging?
In terms of lodging, it really depends on your budget. I like luxury boutique style properties, so my choices may not suite you. However, I have found at the high end that NZ prices are very much at the standard international level. The country is well know for its beautiful high end lodges, but I found the pricing (even with the advantaged USD) to be beyond my range (850+ per night, but that does include breakfast and dinner). In Queenstown for instance, I have heard very good things about the Matakauri Lodge. However, it is too rich for me. instead, I am staying at the Spire Hotel, which appears to very nice property, is centrally located and gets very good marks on trip advisor. In Auckland i am staying at Mollies (a highly rated tiny hotel). Also, I am going to Waiheke Island (a short 35 minute ferry ride from Auckland) and staying at the Boatshed. I sure others can weigh in with their recommendations.

Last edited by wanderlustFL; Dec 1, 2015 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
It's been a while so the details are a little fuzzy and we had a little more than 9 days - probably 11 or 12. Our desire was to see a lot of NZ without seeing most of it through the windshield of a rental car.

Our itinerary was:
1) Arrive AKL very early in the morning
2) Rent a car and drive immediately north to the Bay of Islands.
3) Spent a couple days in and around Pahia, Waitangi, Russell
4) Returned to AKL and flew to Queenstown, rented another car
5) Spent a few days in the Queenstown area including a bus/boat tour of Milford Sound
6) Drove up the west coast of the south island stopping at glaciers and other points of interest to Greymouth - think we spent a night in Haast and another in Greymouth.
7) Took the TransAlpine train to Christchurch, overnight stay, then flew to Rotorua, rented another car
8) Couple days in the Rotorua area
9) Drive to AKL, overnight stay and fly home

It was busy but not crazy. Got to see a lot of the highlights. Didn't have too many long driving days.

Tips:
- Unless it's a very busy season, you can make last minute hotel reservations at tourist information centers and usually save a few bucks over other booking methods. The hotel in Queenstown actually sent us to Tourist Information to save on the rate. We only had one night (in Christchurch) booked before we arrived in NZ.
- Rental cars with automatic transmissions were a lot more expensive than manual transmissions. You can save some $$$ if you drive a stick.
- Dress casual - pretty much everybody does.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emofeng
What would be an average fare from QZN-SYD-AKL in early June? I'm seeing the roundtrip to cost roughly $300-$350 with Quantas/Emirates/Air New Zealand/Virgin Atlantic. Are there any low cost carriers? First time to this part of the world...
Is that NZ$ or Au$ or US$ round trip? But is OK. Check the fares conditions caerefuly. Some fares do not include checked baggage.
Book on the com.au & co.nz and set country to Australia or NZ

However Quantas does not fly in this part on the world. But fear not:- Qantas does ^
And Virgin Atlantic does not fly in this part on the world. But Virgin Australia (VA) does ^

Airlines that fly Australia (CNS BNE OOL SYD MEL ADL PER) to/from New Zealand (AKL WLG CHC ZQN) are
- Air New Zealand (codeshares with VA) [Star Alliance]
- Virgin Australia (codeshares with Air NZ) (Delta partner)
- Jetstar (a low cost low quality carrier with low-medium-high priced fares owned by QF)
- Qantas (codeshares with EK) [OneWorld Alliance]
- Emirates (codeshares with QF)
- LAN (SYD AKL) [OneWorld Alliance]
- China Airlines (BNE SYD MEL: - AKL CHC) [Skyteam Alliance]
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I spent 10 days on South Island (after two days in Wellington for the ferry and train to Christchurch) and it wasn't enough IMO so nine days seems aggressive. I'd focus on one island for entire time. It's an amazing country and I can't wait to go back and explore more.

On the South Island I enjoyed Doubtful Sound and Milford with a scenic flight back to Queenstown. I have photos on philatravelgirl blog from both.

I did two nights Wellington, ferry to coastal train to Christchurch staying at The George for two nights then TransAlpine train to Greymouth to pick up the (then) Magic Bus (I let them do the driving) it's now called Kiwi Bus. Glacier Hiking and Kayaking at Franz Josef. Three nights Queenstown Crowne Plaza, 1 night Te Anu and then the Dunedin tour (cute penguins, coastal hikes) before flying to Sydney. Busy, adventurous, helicopters, flight planes, wine, etc - it's a great trip at all budgets
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

After my New Zealand trip, I'm trying to plan 4 nights in Sydney. I'm looking at end of May-Early June flight prices from google flights and I see that ZQN-SYD-AKL is roughly $400-450. Is this a fair price?

Should I book or wait for cheaper fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.