Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ for a week - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Motionsick Planespotters, Inc.
NZ for a week - what to do?

Hello Flyertalkers,

I've suddenly found myself with a week's holiday between finishing one job and starting another, and have decided to spend it in New Zealand. I have never been to NZ and am keen to make the most of my time there.

What sorts of things are worth doing? I won't be in a position to rent a car and have a strong dislike of Queenstown-style extreme sports, but any other suggestions gratefully considered.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Hello, Peach: depends on your interests and the time of year.

NZ really is a land of contrasts, scenically and experentially. While you certainly can partake of the wilder stuff, there are all sorts of other ways to experience places like Queenstown, and everywhere else.

If you're after a (relatively small, I hasten to add, from 27 floors up in Shanghai!) city experience, Auckland is worth some time.

The harbour is always pretty, there are day trips, or longer, to be had to the wineries and restaurants at Waiheke Island. Some good foodie stops and super fresh, yummy local produce prepared by really world-class chefs in the city, if that's your thing.

Either cheap - or expensive - depending on your perspective (still smarting from a 4,000 RMB dinner for 4 on the Bund last night & paying $55NZD for a bottle of Antipodes water...).

Up where I live - Ponsonby - there are loads of great cafés, boutiques and a really nice neighbourhood vibe, just a few minutes up the hill from the city. It's almost impossible to get a bad coffee.

Rotorua and Taupo - half way down the North Island - are tourist central. A 4-5 hour drive from Auckland or a short flight on a prop plane. Accom and food options variable and really...um...quaint. That's the kindest thing I can think to say about that.

Still, a lot of history and Kiwi cultural experiences to be had, as well as the whole thermal wonderland thing. Personally, I'd rather gouge my eyes out than spend time in either, but that's just me.

Oh, there are a couple of honking great mountains in the middle of the North island that would be a blast if you're a skier, or just pretty to look at, if not. But having just returned from Whistler I'd be a bit...meh..about the whole thing.

Wellington...small city, awesome spot. Totally different feel to Auckland, very compact and quite bohemian and artsy in places. Again, big on the cafe scene, and with an added arts/culture thing happening. Gorgeous harbour, easy city to get around, and much more 'alternative' than Auckland.

Have to admit, I haven't been to the Wairarapa region, just out of Wellington, since I was a baby, but it's renowned for its wineries, as is Marlborough, just across the Cook Strait at the top of the South Island.

You can ferry or fly between the Nth and Sth islands, and if you ferry, can take a rental car across the strait with you.

Top half of the South Island is also known for its wineries, breathtaking beaches, walks/tracks and scenery. You can drive down from Nelson/Marlborough through Kaikoura, legendary seafood, whale watching and wildlife spotting. Plus the fish'n'chips and lobster are to die for.

Christchurch...sigh...where do I start? It's my other home, I barely spend any time there because there's not much there for me any more, work wise, and sod all to do since it fell down in the quakes. No decent 5 star hotels (the only one we had had to be bulldozed...) except for one 'boutique' offering. Expensive..and surrounded by not much except car parks and building sites. Which pretty much describes the whole city.

Poor old chch. Worth a visit if from a disaster tourism perspective, but it's a long way off being truly open for business.

Still, it's the gateway to the rest of the South Island if you're interested in flying straight in, and a quick flight or 4-5 hour drive to the prettier, more engaging parts of the Sth Island: Fiordland, the Glaciers, Queenstown etc. Again, great wineries to be sampled en-route, especially through Central Otago.

Like I said, depends greatly on your interests and time of year. I am sure others will have things to add (or debate!).

Hope it helps as a thought starter.

FGNZ

Last edited by Flygirlnz; Jul 12, 2015 at 5:30 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: VAG
New Zealand with no car seems a bit of a shame. I wouldn't plan to go to NZ and just spend my time in the cities.

Perhaps a bus tour, if you can find a bus tour suitable for your demographic (ie very young or very old).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Motionsick Planespotters, Inc.
Thankyou very much Flygirlnz and Jorgen for your thoughtful comments. It sounds like Auckland and Wellington are the cities of choice! My interests veer towards culture/museums/historical places of interest, as well as enjoying the great outdoors. I'll definitely investigate bus tours - it would be a shame to miss so much awesome scenery.

Thankyou both again for your help
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
If you like museums, the Auckland War Museum is really great and Te Papa in Wellington is a must do. Te Papa is free, but private tours can be arranged. I loved Te Papa and plan on going again next year when I visit NZ again.

Napier might be another good choice for you. Good wine, lots of Art Deco.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Te papa and the war museem are great. Kelly Tarleton is fun in Auckland. There is an interesting tour by the local maori to Mt eden in Auckland. Rangotito island is a fun day out in Auckland and deven port is a nice ferry ride.

I do agree that cities are not the reason to visit NZ. Dunedin Otago peninsula is awesome, with penguins, albatross colony, the only castle, wildlife cruise,

Queenstown Milford or doubtful sound. Mt Cook and the tasman glacier, franz and fox glacier and ice hiking.

A nice combo of city and scenery is Nelson, it has arts, restaurants, and is close to Abel Tasman national park with hiking kayaking and boating of various durations.

Pick 2 places and enjoy them instead of trying to rush too many
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
As you do not have the rental car option and your expressed preferences I too think Auckland and Wellington are the cities to visit. One thing to think about is the possibility of taking the train between the two cities, it is not overnight but only operates three days a week in each direction.
Northern Explorer page on the Kiwirail webiste is all you need.
Lots to see and do for you in Wellington for three days and as it is a small city easy to get around either walking, public transport or taxi.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I would do a tour of Fiordland and maybe one of the multi-day tracks. I did the Milford Track in 2009 and it was a blast.

Auckland was my least favorite part of NZ. It feels like almost any city, not something special.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I would do a tour of Fiordland and maybe one of the multi-day tracks. I did the Milford Track in 2009 and it was a blast.

Auckland was my least favorite part of NZ. It feels like almost any city, not something special.
Have to agree on Auckland. Second for multi day treks. Did route burn 3 days 2 night a few years ago and one of the best experiences of my travels.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flygirlnz
Hello, Peach: depends on your interests and the time of year.

NZ really is a land of contrasts, scenically and experentially. While you certainly can partake of the wilder stuff, there are all sorts of other ways to experience places like Queenstown, and everywhere else.

If you're after a (relatively small, I hasten to add, from 27 floors up in Shanghai!) city experience, Auckland is worth some time.

The harbour is always pretty, there are day trips, or longer, to be had to the wineries and restaurants at Waiheke Island. Some good foodie stops and super fresh, yummy local produce prepared by really world-class chefs in the city, if that's your thing.

Either cheap - or expensive - depending on your perspective (still smarting from a 4,000 RMB dinner for 4 on the Bund last night & paying $55NZD for a bottle of Antipodes water...).

Up where I live - Ponsonby - there are loads of great cafés, boutiques and a really nice neighbourhood vibe, just a few minutes up the hill from the city. It's almost impossible to get a bad coffee.

Rotorua and Taupo - half way down the North Island - are tourist central. A 4-5 hour drive from Auckland or a short flight on a prop plane. Accom and food options variable and really...um...quaint. That's the kindest thing I can think to say about that.

Still, a lot of history and Kiwi cultural experiences to be had, as well as the whole thermal wonderland thing. Personally, I'd rather gouge my eyes out than spend time in either, but that's just me.

Oh, there are a couple of honking great mountains in the middle of the North island that would be a blast if you're a skier, or just pretty to look at, if not. But having just returned from Whistler I'd be a bit...meh..about the whole thing.

Wellington...small city, awesome spot. Totally different feel to Auckland, very compact and quite bohemian and artsy in places. Again, big on the cafe scene, and with an added arts/culture thing happening. Gorgeous harbour, easy city to get around, and much more 'alternative' than Auckland.

Have to admit, I haven't been to the Wairarapa region, just out of Wellington, since I was a baby, but it's renowned for its wineries, as is Marlborough, just across the Cook Strait at the top of the South Island.

You can ferry or fly between the Nth and Sth islands, and if you ferry, can take a rental car across the strait with you.

Top half of the South Island is also known for its wineries, breathtaking beaches, walks/tracks and scenery. You can drive down from Nelson/Marlborough through Kaikoura, legendary seafood, whale watching and wildlife spotting. Plus the fish'n'chips and lobster are to die for.

Christchurch...sigh...where do I start? It's my other home, I barely spend any time there because there's not much there for me any more, work wise, and sod all to do since it fell down in the quakes. No decent 5 star hotels (the only one we had had to be bulldozed...) except for one 'boutique' offering. Expensive..and surrounded by not much except car parks and building sites. Which pretty much describes the whole city.

Poor old chch. Worth a visit if from a disaster tourism perspective, but it's a long way off being truly open for business.

Still, it's the gateway to the rest of the South Island if you're interested in flying straight in, and a quick flight or 4-5 hour drive to the prettier, more engaging parts of the Sth Island: Fiordland, the Glaciers, Queenstown etc. Again, great wineries to be sampled en-route, especially through Central Otago.

Like I said, depends greatly on your interests and time of year. I am sure others will have things to add (or debate!).

Hope it helps as a thought starter.

FGNZ
Helpful post thanks.

Any thoughts on Auckland vs Queenstown, seems like everyone I talk to recommends Queenstown over Auckland
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Have to agree on Auckland. Second for multi day treks. Did route burn 3 days 2 night a few years ago and one of the best experiences of my travels.
As an Aucklander, I have to agree with the above. Auckland City is only worth a day or two, and would be the first part of NZ that I'd cross off the list if time/budget constraints forced some trimming. Its a small city by world standards, and nothing spectacular. About the only thing that Auckland would be better for is shopping.

Plenty of things to do in the Auckland region if you are into wine/food (Waiheke, Matakana etc.), outdoor activities. But you can do all those and more in Queenstown and surrounds, and the scenery is (one/several?) order of magnitude better in Queenstown.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by cshel
Helpful post thanks.

Any thoughts on Auckland vs Queenstown, seems like everyone I talk to recommends Queenstown over Auckland
Queenstown itself is touristy but great base for all things adventure if you like that, from jet boating, bungee jumping etc and many day or multi day trips to the most scenic parts of NZ, Milford or doubtful sound, Wanaka, or Dunedin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.