Wiki Posts
Search

Adelaide Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Adelaide Airport

I'm thinking of taking a flight leaving Adelaide airport on a Saturday morning. The flight would leave at 7:10 AM. I will be staying the night before at the Adelaide Hilton which I see is only a short 10 min or so taxi ride to the airport.

I won't be checking bags - what time do I need to arrive at the airport to get through security? I can't remember what AU security is like from my trip last year. Is an hour before enough time?

The other option is to leave around 3 PM. I arrive in AU the day before and don't know if I will be exhausted and not want to wake up for an early flight.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It depends on the airline; the airport itself will take 10 mins tops for security and more likely 2 mins. QF cuts off check-in 30 min before departure, but some LCCs cut it off earlier. Web check-in would be a good idea if only carry-on as you state However weight limit of carry-on is strictly enforced by some airlines in Oz, so you might have checked baggage Again depends which airline you are flying. As for the airport, ADL is a small airport and quite efficient, very nice.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Will be flying Qantas. Had no problems with the same carry on last year. So if I check in online k can essentially show up at the airport say 30 min early and be just fine?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:41 am
Original Member

Yes, 30 min early gives you 10 min safety margin, but the QF weight limit for carryon is 7kg (15lb) which most US carryons exceed. Last time I flew through ADL they were weighing carryon (all airlines), though it isn't weighed most of the time. QF did make me check 8kg carryon once, and I was flying J -- so it can happen.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Same security line for all airlines, QF, JQ,VA,ZL plus any International departures, so do allow time
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Yes, 30 min early gives you 10 min safety margin, but the QF weight limit for carryon is 7kg (15lb) which most US carryons exceed. Last time I flew through ADL they were weighing carryon (all airlines), though it isn't weighed most of the time. QF did make me check 8kg carryon once, and I was flying J -- so it can happen.
I didn't have any issues last year with the same carry on but it wasn't weighed. I do use an international carry on so the size is smaller and meets QF standards. In the event they weigh my bag and it is over the limit do they just gate check it?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I didn't have any issues last year with the same carry on but it wasn't weighed. I do use an international carry on so the size is smaller and meets QF standards. In the event they weigh my bag and it is over the limit do they just gate check it?
It will get checked at check in.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:56 pm
Original Member

Hence the risk -- checkin closes 30 min prior to departure time, so if you cant carry-on then you miss the flight (or abandon bag in ADL) if you are after the 30 min cutoff time. I'd stick with the 7kg limit if not before that 30 min cutoff.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Ok - I can show up earlier. Question though... Let's say I check in online the night before, print my boarding pass, go through security, and line up to board... will they weigh my bag before boarding?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:46 am
Original Member

Ok - I can show up earlier. Question though... Let's say I check in online the night before, print my boarding pass, go through security, and line up to board... will they weigh my bag before boarding?
Sometimes they do with a scale at the boarding gate. But not always. No idea of the percentage, would guess 1% but I've seen it done. QF tends to be lenient, fwiw, but doesn't help you if you are the one caught out.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by number_6
Sometimes they do with a scale at the boarding gate. But not always. No idea of the percentage, would guess 1% but I've seen it done. QF tends to be lenient, fwiw, but doesn't help you if you are the one caught out.
Surely though, if they're weighing bags at the gate, there needs to still be time to put it in the hold. They're not going to send you back to checkin if the flight is already boarding. And I can't imagine them denying boarding completely (unless it's full of lead bricks or something). So I wouldn't worry about it.

On the other hand, I wouldn't leave my hotel 40 minutes before takeoff either, that's cutting it too close for my liking. Give yourself an extra 20 minutes, you'll sleep better.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I'm thinking of taking a flight leaving Adelaide airport on a Saturday morning. The flight would leave at 7:10 AM. I will be staying the night before at the Adelaide Hilton which I see is only a short 10 min or so taxi ride to the airport.

I won't be checking bags - what time do I need to arrive at the airport to get through security? I can't remember what AU security is like from my trip last year. Is an hour before enough time?

The other option is to leave around 3 PM. I arrive in AU the day before and don't know if I will be exhausted and not want to wake up for an early flight.
Did just this scenario earlier this year. No traffic on sat morning at that time. Bags were weighed, we brought an extra bag to redistribute weight of carryons Even with that, checking other baggage and a passport checking, printing boarding passes and going through security, I would say the process could not have taken 15 minutes. Walk to the gate is minutes. Are you flying domestic and or connecting to intl elsewhere in Australia?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Did just this scenario earlier this year. No traffic on sat morning at that time. Bags were weighed, we brought an extra bag to redistribute weight of carryons Even with that, checking other baggage and a passport checking, printing boarding passes and going through security, I would say the process could not have taken 15 minutes. Walk to the gate is minutes. Are you flying domestic and or connecting to intl elsewhere in Australia?
Just flying domestic and planning on checking in online so I can go right through security.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Then it will be quick through the airport. It's not that big.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Then it will be quick through the airport. It's not that big.
When were your bags weighed? That's my worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.