SYD-CHC/ZQN on miles - any cheap way?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:10 am
cb2
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold
SYD-CHC/ZQN on miles - any cheap way?

Hi everyone,

First of all, apologies if this question has been asked already.

I am building a round-the-world trip for next January. So far, I managed to secure a flight to Sydney and from Auckland onwards to Honolulu.

I would like to focus on South Island, therefore I have been looking for a reasonably cheap way of getting from Sydney to Christchurch/Queenstown. I can see that there is Jetstar, but I was wondering if you may know what miles redemption could be a good value to fly this route?

I have got AmEx points that can be transferred to a selection of 15 airline programs, so I have some flexibility.

I am afraid that with reasonably high surcharges (about 100 AUD), only Jetstar makes sense.

Many thanks for your help.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
You have two options: Qantas (operated by JetConnect) and Jetstar operate SYD-CHC/ZQN.

Do not confuse JetConnect and Jetstar. The JetConnect aircraft are QF marketed, QF liveried and part of oneworld. The Jetstar aircraft are JQ liveried, and a LCC not part of oneworld.

The Qantas (JetConnect) flights are available using any oneworld program.
The Jetstar flights are only available using Qantas points.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
You can also redeem Emirates Skywards points for Jetstar flights, but it's quite a faff as you can only do it by phoning up (no online booking). Details here on the emirates site, Sydney to Christchurch is 15,025 points for a one-way economy, plus taxes.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:37 am
cb2
Original Poster

Thanks, guys.

I phoned up BA, but there is no availability on Jetconnect service, so I am exploring other options.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cb2
...I would like to focus on South Island, therefore I have been looking for a reasonably cheap way of getting from Sydney to Christchurch/Queenstown.
January is a peak time, especially at the end of January.
Just buy a flight SYD-CHC or SYD-ZQN. Economy fares are not a lot of $$ for the ~3 hour flight

Airlines that fly Australia (CNS BNE OOL SYD MEL ADL) – New Zealand (AKL WLG CHC ZQN) are
- Air New Zealand (codeshares with VA) [Star Alliance]
- Virgin Australia (codeshares with Air NZ) (Delta partner)
- Jetstar (a low cost low quality carrier with low-medium-high priced fares owned by QF)
- Qantas (codeshares with EK) [OneWorld]
- Emirates (codeshares with QF)
- LAN (SYD AKL) [OneWorld]
- China Airlines (BNE/SYD - AKL & SYD - CHC) [Skyteam]
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
For January travel awards will be difficult or impossible to get (unless booked 11+ months in advance). Trans-Tasman sales for economy are unlikely for peak dates, but in business or first class sales by NZ (AKL routes only) and QF/EK typically cover all dates.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
January is a peak time, especially at the end of January.
Just buy a flight SYD-CHC or SYD-ZQN. Economy fares are not a lot of $$ for the ~3 hour flight

Airlines that fly Australia (CNS BNE OOL SYD MEL ADL) – New Zealand (AKL WLG CHC ZQN) are
- Air New Zealand (codeshares with VA) [Star Alliance]
- Virgin Australia (codeshares with Air NZ) (Delta partner)
- Jetstar (a low cost low quality carrier with low-medium-high priced fares owned by QF)
- Qantas (codeshares with EK) [OneWorld]
- Emirates (codeshares with QF)
- LAN (SYD AKL) [OneWorld]
- China Airlines (BNE/SYD - AKL & SYD - CHC) [Skyteam]
Not that it helps the OP but China Airlines has SYD-CHC and MEL-CHC both as seasonal routes (northern winter peak season only).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:05 pm
cb2
Original Poster

Many thanks to all of you for providing such comprehensive answers

I have just bought a ticket on China Airlines for £71 inclusive of baggage and lounge access thanks to status, so not a bad deal, I guess.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
We traveled on NZ using AP points SYD-AKL-DUD & return.

If you don't have Star Alliance points, I suggest you sign up asap for Jetstar specials. Here is the link to their current one (its still valid):

http://email.jetstar.com/pub/sf/Form..._C9D7Zd8kl663g.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.