Wiki Posts
Search

Help for a worried Grandma

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Help for a worried Grandma

Some help needed, my grand daughter and friend have just started a 9 week tour to NZ (she use to live there) and are flying into Brisbane on the 9/8/15 and back to the UK from Sydney on the 16th August 15.
They are very independent so want to do this as frugal as possible, obviously family will help in an emergency. If anyone has ideas of transport from Brisbane to Sydney and places to stay so they can see as much as possible. They are having a camper van in NZ but not in Australia so it will have to be public transport.
I am sure they have done some investigating but being a worried grandma I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
There best bet is one of the east-coast passes, either bus or train. Those will let them stop off as much as they want, on the cheaper ones as long as they keep going in the same direction (no doubling back)

NSW Trainlink (formerly CountryLink) offer a Discovery Pass, which seems to offer unlimited use of NSW Trainlink trains and coaches. They used to do a cheaper "East Coast Discovery pass", but that looks to have been withdrawn (though there are lots of references to it still online)

Most of the long distance coach operators do the same sort of thing too, but I haven't personally tried those
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
There best bet is one of the east-coast passes, either bus or train. Those will let them stop off as much as they want, on the cheaper ones as long as they keep going in the same direction (no doubling back)

NSW Trainlink (formerly CountryLink) offer a Discovery Pass, which seems to offer unlimited use of NSW Trainlink trains and coaches. They used to do a cheaper "East Coast Discovery pass", but that looks to have been withdrawn (though there are lots of references to it still online)

Most of the long distance coach operators do the same sort of thing too, but I haven't personally tried those
Thank you, will let her know, they are in Dubai at the moment en route to NZ then OZ.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If they are willing to wait until the last minute (or end up that way), there is a terrific site http://www.imoova.com where they have camper vans that need to be relocated listed a week or so before they are available. It is possible there will be something from Brisbane to Sydney in that window, and it is nearly free transport (sometimes they cover fuel expenses too).

I am not affiliated with the site but have used it several times. It's great, you just can't plan far in advance. But you can't beat it for one-way trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.