Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions on NZ/AUS Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Suggestions on NZ/AUS Trip

We are flying to NZ/AUS next week. Would like some suggestions how best to make this trip a success. Did some browsing through trip reports and other threads already but would welcome some additional input.

XXX-PEK J 10+ hrs layover booked a nearby hotel to refresh
PEK-SYD J/CA 3 hrs
SYD-AKL X/NZ 4 nights @ Crowne Plaza
AKL-SYD X/NZ 2.5 hrs
SYD-OOL X/JQ 3nights @ Sheraton Mirage
OOL-SYD X/JQ 5 nights @ Sydney Harbour Marriott
SYD-VYR J/ AC etc.

Other than JQ trip to OOL on my own $, rest is AE award ticket.

I suppose we will be able to leave the terminal for 10 hrs before connecting again in PEK
From other postings, SYD airport can be complicated. Got visas, but how best to get to the NZ gate fast. Only carry on until now and must check-in 2 bags for this segment. NO need for NZ visa? (Canada here)
Transport at AKL can be had via Airbus Express to the hotel, any issues here ? tickets to buy cash, credit card or on the bus?

No status other than a J award ticket. Ideas for each city and best transfer ways at Airports and timing. Temperatures are around 14-16 at that time; is that cold or just cool as nights are not much lower. Shows precipitation but is it only showers at this time of year?

All comments are welcomed.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jun 15, 2015 at 2:01 am
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
From other postings, SYD airport can be complicated. Got the visas, but how best to get to the NZ gate fast. Only carry on until now and must check-in 2 backs for this segment. NO need for NZ visa? (Canada here)

Transport at AKL can be had via Airbus Express to the hotel, any issues here ? tickets to buy cash, credit card or on the bus?
So at SYD you need to go landside (immigration, customs & quarantine) to check in yourself & 2 bags with Air NZ? Exiting SYD immigration can take a long time. Or it can be quick. Is this all on 1 ticket/PNR? Far better if you could check the bags on the CA flight, tagged for the Air NZ flight, so you can stay airside and transit without entering Australia.

AKL-SYD X/NZ 2.5 hrs SYD-OOL X/JQ. So 2.5 hrs to get from an international flight to an Aussie domestic flight on separate ticket/PNR? May be OK, but good luck (you may need it). The international & domestic terminals are some distance apart. You will need to use the bus or train. Doubt if you qualify for the QF airside bus. Have you checked the JQ check in times. JQ have no mercy. Both QF & VA have domestic check in at the international terminal. My understanding is JQ do not. I would never have chose JQ for that fight SYD-OOL on 2.5hr time difference (it's not a connection)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...er-thread.html Look at the wiki.

Carry on allowance with NZ & Australian airlines is a lot less than common in North America.

AKL Airbus info $16 one way. With 2 of you consider a taxi. May not cost much more

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 14, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks I should have read some more before booking JQ. Is my arrival at SYD @14.30 helpful to make the domestic terminal. I don't think my tickets are refundable or changeable, how easy is it to get a flight that day if I don't make it on this ticket. For bags is 30 minutes.
AE ticket is one PNR. I have a J or I ticket but SYD-AKL is confirmed in X and therefore are allowed only 1 carry on? right. Is it possible to gate check that extra bag at the NZ gate?

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jun 14, 2015 at 4:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AKL Airbus info $16 one way. With 2 of you consider a taxi. May not cost much more
Taxi will be $70 minimum, if booked online in advance. If taking the airbus express and buying return tickets it works out to $28 each way for two people. In between option is the supershuttle, which is $45 for 2 adults each way, but does go door to door unlike the Airbus, so no dragging luggage up the hill to the hotel.

All of these can be booked via Air NZ at https://www.taxi.co.nz/ although you cannot book the cheaper return airbus fare on that site, only the one way tickets. Tickets for airbus can be purchased at the kiosk in the airport with cash or card. You can also pay cash on the airbus itself.

Most of this was covered in the other thread
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
Most of this was covered in the other thread
Yes, thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Thanks I should have read some more before booking JQ. Is my arrival at SYD @14.30 helpful to make the domestic terminal. I don't think my tickets are refundable or changeable, how easy is it to get a flight that day if I don't make it on this ticket. For bags is 30 minutes.
There's still plenty of flights available in the afternoon/evening, you just pay through the roof to get a seat on one last minute.

2.5 hours should be enough. Just hope that your flight isn't delayed and that there are no delays in getting your baggage of the carousel. I went through Sydney airport the other week and it took 1h15m from getting off the plane to getting to the domestic terminal and clearing security - and that was with waiting 40minutes for bags to arrive. Quickest thing will be to just jump on the train.

Be aware JQ is very strict on carry on and you'll only be allowed a maximum of 7kg.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kcupp95
There's still plenty of flights available in the afternoon/evening, you just pay through the roof to get a seat on one last minute.

2.5 hours should be enough. Just hope that your flight isn't delayed and that there are no delays in getting your baggage of the carousel. I went through Sydney airport the other week and it took 1h15m from getting off the plane to getting to the domestic terminal and clearing security - and that was with waiting 40minutes for bags to arrive. Quickest thing will be to just jump on the train.

Be aware JQ is very strict on carry on and you'll only be allowed a maximum of 7kg.
thanks, I feel better a bit. What time of the day was your transit? I am coming from Auckland at 14.30. And after I clear customs how best to get to the train? Signage good? NZ seems to be on time from the flight tracker, and JQ is on the average 15 minutes late. I don't know how good these statistics are and I don't bet on these for the 22 of June.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

14:30 is not as busy as the peak time of 06:00~07:30.
Just follow the signs to the train or bus http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/t...-transfer.aspx. Train or T bus: not much difference. Depends on timing.

Let us know how it goes
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
What are you interested in doing in NZ? Auckland is far from the best of NZ, and four nights is a long time there.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
14:30 is not as busy as the peak time of 06:00~07:30.
Just follow the signs to the train or bus http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/t...-transfer.aspx. Train or T bus: not much difference. Depends on timing.

Let us know how it goes
It took less than 1 hr from deplaning to the gate at T2. Longest part was getting luggage from Auckland flight. Early checking late luggage. Took the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.