Tasmania self drive - 10 nights

Old May 7, 2015, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Tasmania self drive - 10 nights

Hi everyone! I intend to visit Tasmania this July in Winter with my girlfriend.

It will be 10 nights in all, and I planned my route due to my requirement to visit Salamanca on Saturday. Please take a look and comment if the route is good for the winter. Also, does renting a 4WD make it any easier on the possible icy roads on cradle mountain and mt wellington?

Night 1 @ St Helens/Bay of fire.
To do - St Helens Point - Peron Dunes (walks)
Bay of fire beach walks (from Mt Williams Nat Park, or along coast line!)
Eat at Salty Seas
Drive north 25 mins to Pyengana Valley (Cheeses at Pyengana Dairy Company), pinic at St Columba Falls State Reserve (continue driving down the road)

Night 2 @ Bicheno
Along the way - "45 mins - Douglas-Aspley Nat Park on right (Apsley Waterhole), Evercreech Forest Reserve White Gums
Visitor Centre stop. Penguin Tour (Diamond Island Nature Reserve)"
To do: "Blowhole/Rocking Rock
Book for penguin tour 1730hrs (Bicheno Penguin Tour along Tas Highway)"

Night 3 @ Port Arthur
Along the way - Pondering Frog (Berry Ice cream, Tas hw)
Freycinet Marine Farm (eat!)
Freycinet Adventures (kayak)
Wineglass Bay look out (cruise is closed for winter?)
Swansea - Swansea Swan Inn Fish and Chips (best!) Franklin St, on left, along Tas HW
Kate Berry Farm (after Swansea)
To do - Evening Ghost tour - Port Arthur Historic Site
Tasman Nat Park

Night 4 and 5 @ Hobart
along the way - "Port Arthur Lavender farm (arthur highway)
Tasmanian Devil Unzoo"
To do - Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary (Tas Devil) - Brighton, Salamanca on Sat

Night 6 @ Curringa farm

Night 7 @ Strahan - West Coast Wilderness Railway (Queenstown

Night 8 @ Cradle Mountain

Night 9 and 10 @ Launceston (Tasmania Zoo, Tamar Valley)

I am a little concern with the multiple stop points and long distances on Night 3 between Bicheno to Port Arthur via Coles Bay and Swansea.

Comments are appreciated!
Old May 20, 2015, 9:02 am

Hi MarknBelle,
I think you are being a little too ambitious in your itinerary. I did 10 days in March going from Hobart to Launceston, down the east coast and back to Hobart and Port Arthur. Driving times are much longer than distances would suggest. And you will be there in winter, with possibility of snow and ice. I know Mt. Wellington has been closed at least once for snow since I was there. 4WD will not help in icy conditions.
Even if you were to do this in perfect weather, there is so much to see and do that you would shortchange yourself.
You have obviously done some research on the stops you want to make, and all of them are worth the time.
Bicheno to Port Arthur in 1 day is like flying over the Grand Canyon at 35000 feet - you can say you've seen it, but not really.
If this will be your one and only trip to Tasmania, go for it and enjoy every minute. But have a plan B and C, in case the weather doesn't play nice.
I am from Arkansas, USA and have been to Tasmania 3 times in the last 10 years and there are still things I haven't seen. That's for trip number 4.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.