Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Airport - USA security screening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kcupp95
Can anyone confirm if there is or isn't a secondary screening at Sydney Airport. It will be the United SYD-SFO if that makes a difference.
Yes, there is supplementary screening (which is different to "secondary" screening). However they do not check every passenger, it's some semblance of random. In my experience, if you're entering via the priority line (first/business/status) then yours odds of being checked are significantly lower than the standard economy line.

However as I commented earlier, even if you do have a water bottle the odds of them finding it are low, especially if it's not in plain sight.

The exception is if you actually get selected for Secondary Screening (ie, "SSSS" on your boarding pass). In that case you can expect them to look a little harder and potentially find it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:00 pm

I think this is a case of YMMV. I have travelled frequently from SYD-LAX, and cannot recall any secondary screening at any time. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but, it doesn't happen on every US inbound flight.
I always travel with a refillable water bottle, and have never had it confiscated.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
Yes, there is supplementary screening (which is different to "secondary" screening). However they do not check every passenger, it's some semblance of random. In my experience, if you're entering via the priority line (first/business/status) then yours odds of being checked are significantly lower than the standard economy line.
Funnily enough, a couple of weeks ago I was going SYD-LAX in J, I got SSSS and I heard one security guard saying to another that "all the secondaries are in business". It was said in a somewhat surprised tone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.