Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight transfer in SYD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Flight transfer in SYD

Dear all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have a flight from ICN on OZ to SYD arriving at 7:40 in the morning, I will be heading to NAD at around 13:00 on FJ. My questions are:

Will it be possible to check my bags all the way to NAD?
If not, do I have enough time to exit, and check in for the FJ flight?

Thank you all in advance.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is a question to ask in the OZ forum since it is up to OZ whether it will check the bags through

Technically it is possible to check bags through from 1 international flight to another but up to OZ whether it will
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only the airline can advise you if they interline bags
5:20 hours should be OK to go landside to check in with Fiji
Do you have a valid passport and/or visa for entry into Australia?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...er-thread.html
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:08 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
FJ to NAD?
http://www.gcmap.com/airport/NAD
Assume you mean NAN
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Only the airline can advise you if they interline bags
5:20 hours should be OK to go landside to check in with Fiji
Do you have a valid passport and/or visa for entry into Australia?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...er-thread.html
Thanks, I have applied the visa online with my EU passporte. I am just worry about the baggage delay.

Originally Posted by og
FJ to NAD?
http://www.gcmap.com/airport/NAD
Assume you mean NAN
Yes, I mean NAN as in Nadi
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
You might find more information in the very friendly Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum, particularly since your post does not relate to QF.

Dave
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by thadocta
You might find more information in the very friendly Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum, particularly since your post does not relate to QF.

Dave
[mod hat] Agree and therefore I will me moving this there. [/mod hat]
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I don't know about whether you'll be able to check your bag through, but 5 hours and 20 minutes is plenty of time to make this connection even if you have to pick up your bag. The only catch is if FJ doesn't have a transfer desk in the customs area, then you would have to go to their main counter to drop off the bag. Getting to their main counter will require entering Australia, so you'd need to have a valid visa to enter the country and not just transit through.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I don't know about whether you'll be able to check your bag through, but 5 hours and 20 minutes is plenty of time to make this connection even if you have to pick up your bag. The only catch is if FJ doesn't have a transfer desk in the customs area, then you would have to go to their main counter to drop off the bag. Getting to their main counter will require entering Australia, so you'd need to have a valid visa to enter the country and not just transit through.
No airline has an backdrop in Australia before customs. You have to clear customs, then collect your bags and then clear customs/quarantine. Once you have done that you're in the main arrivals hall, which is an 10 minute walk to Check-in.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
No airline has an backdrop in Australia before customs. You have to clear customs, then collect your bags and then clear customs/quarantine. Once you have done that you're in the main arrivals hall, which is an 10 minute walk to Check-in.
So if you're flying SFO-SYD-AKL, you can't remain in transit and have your bags taken directly from your arriving UA flight and loaded on the departing LAN flight?

If I have to clear Australia Customs, retrieve my bags and check in at LAN, 3 hours is sufficent?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by halls120
So if you're flying SFO-SYD-AKL, you can't remain in transit and have your bags taken directly from your arriving UA flight and loaded on the departing LAN flight?
Yes, you can. You may have to remind the UA agent to tag the bag all the way through to AKL, but UA and LAN have an interline agreement, so there shouldn't be any problem.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by halls120

If I have to clear Australia Customs, retrieve my bags and check in at LAN, 3 hours is sufficent?
You can only remain in transit, if you bags are tagged to your final destination. If not you have to collec, clear, re-check, re-clear
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Similar to OP, I am flying via SYD to another destination (LAX-SYD on UA, then SYD-CHC on Emirates). I feel like I may have been a *bit* aggressive in booking the second leg of the trip - I have ~1 hour and 30 minutes between landing and departing, and it's in the morning (8:40 AM landing, 10:15 AM departure on a Sunday morning in SYD), which, from what I've read, can be the busiest time of the day.

If I follow quarantine guidelines to a strict letter (if someone has a link to a primer, that'd be great), will it be possible to make this?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Similar to OP, I am flying via SYD to another destination (LAX-SYD on UA, then SYD-CHC on Emirates). I feel like I may have been a *bit* aggressive in booking the second leg of the trip - I have ~1 hour and 30 minutes between landing and departing, and it's in the morning (8:40 AM landing, 10:15 AM departure on a Sunday morning in SYD), which, from what I've read, can be the busiest time of the day.
PsiFighter37's question on UA forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post24612626

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 4, 2015 at 1:17 am Reason: Edited link due to thread merge
Old Apr 4, 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

If I follow quarantine guidelines to a strict letter (if someone has a link to a primer, that'd be great), will it be possible to make this?
Is you EK flight changeable?

EK arrives right in the middle of the morning rush, I've arrived at 8am before many times in SYD on an NZ passport and it's still taken an hour to clear and get land side.

Did you book a changeable/refundable fare on EK? by the time you get land-side the check-in for your flight SYD-CHC will be closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.