Self-drive from SYD to MEL

Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:01 am
Used to be randysng1984
Original Poster

Self-drive from SYD to MEL

Hi gurus,

I'm planning a drive 3D2N drive from SYD to MEL in May (2 May to 4 May). I have done up a preliminary itinerary and would like to share it on this forum to have a sense check if this itinerary is feasible and if there's any "must-dos" that I've missed out

Btw, I'll be travelling with 3 other adults (25 to 30 year olds)

Thanks very much!

Day 1
Sydney City -> Wollongong (via Royal National Park) -> Kiama -> Shoalhaven -> Batesman Bay

Day 2
Batesman Bay -> Bermagui -> Meriumbula/Eden ->Lakes Entrance

Day 3
Lakes Entrance -> Yarra Vally

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: VAG
Certainly it's feasible. It's Batemans Bay, by the way, not Batesman, but I'm sure you won't get lost.

Perhaps you might want to investigate Jervis Bay, a really nice part of the world with very white sand and very clear water. You can camp there, if that interests you, otherwise it's all national park.

Lakes Entrance is a bit run down and tatty, though I don't know of any particularly great towns in that area anyway. It's fine, but it's not as nice as the towns on the NSW coast.

Wollongong isn't necessarily a place you'd stop as a tourist, it's a fairly dull medium-sized industrial city.

The Royal National Park will add a bit of extra time to your journey. It's a nice national park but it's not that different to a lot of the stuff you're going to be unavoidably seeing further down the coast, so perhaps you could omit it.

By May it'll be getting a bit chilly so don't expect to be swimming at all these beaches. Definitely not as you get further south.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Easy drive, good roads and little traffic most of the way. Pretty and lightly inhabited so don't expect much infrastructure. Personally I would drive further on day 1, to Tilba or Narooma, and maybe drive to Yarra Valley on day 2 instead of stopping at Lakes Entrance overnight. Or detour up into the Alps for an overnight, if that attracts you.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:29 am
Used to be randysng1984
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the advice guys!

I'll probably drop both Wollongong and Lakes Entrance from the itinerary - 2 days sound perfect, we can spend the extra day at the Blue Mountain & Jenolan Caves.

One more thing, could I ask which 2 of the 3 should i visit - Eden, Bermagui and Meriumbula?

Good night!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:47 am
Used to be randysng1984
Original Poster

@number_6 - The drive from Meriumbula/ Eden to Yarra Valley is around 580km. Just as a contingency plan, would you please suggest a town we can stay over for the night (and probably some sight seeing) between these 2 points?

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:20 am
Original Member

It's an easy drive though the first 200km has twisty bits. Can be done in 8 hours, 10 at most. Nothing really worthwhile for a stop en-route but Sale would have the most accomodation albeit not particularly charming. But there is an amazing variety of climate zones and thus vegetation and wildlife along this route ... much more variety than you would expect. Just don't expect man-made attractions like great hotels or zoos.

As for choosing between Eden, Merimbula and Bermagui, they are much the same (equally pleasant). Merimbula is significantly bigger than the other 2 (which are only a couple of thousand people, so all 3 are small towns). A beautiful part of the coast and quite unpopulated.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:37 am
Used to be randysng1984
Original Poster

Hi guys, I'll be flying off to Sydney tomorrow and will be driving down to Melbourne on Sunday (2 day drive via Narooma and Yarra Valley). Given the torrid weather in Sydney now, would you think it will be too dangerous to go ahead with the drive? Your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by saerogenta13
Given the torrid weather in Sydney now, would you think it will be too dangerous to go ahead with the drive?
Are we talking about the same Sydney here? Over in the one I live in, tomorrow's distinctly un-torrid forecast is 19/13C high/low, partly cloudy with light rain showers.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Plenty of rain is forecast to fall leading into the weekend - same forecasts indicate it should clear Sunday, leaving a cloudy Monday.

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Are we talking about the same Sydney here? Over in the one I live in, tomorrow's distinctly un-torrid forecast is 19/13C high/low, partly cloudy with light rain showers.
The hail on Saturday and the forecast is for possibly another east coast low pressure system. However, the OP should be able to get out of town before the weather hits.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:39 pm
Used to be randysng1984
Original Poster

much appreciated. hopefully I can avoid the heavy rain, Saturday to Narooma and Sunday to Yarra Valley. Fingers Crossed!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:48 am
Original Member

Weather looks fine, nothing like the storm of last week (no doubt you have seen shots of sydney streets covered white with hail). But be aware that once or twice a year the road can be closed for a few hours due to fallen trees (lots of gum trees along the route and they like to lose big limbs in high wind). So you have small chance of being delayed a day (1% chance if the storm does come on your travel days).
Old May 7, 2015, 7:00 pm
Used to be randysng1984
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. The weather was mostly merciful except for the tremendously strong winds at the GOR on Wednesday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.