Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADELAIDE & South Australia

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Lord Howe island and Capella is fabulous but totally different from GBR. Not sure it caters to the same interests except for eco-tourism.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So my goal was to stay in Sydney, Kangaroo Island, and also spend at least a few days in the Great Barrier Reef. Is Lizard Island the best option to experience the GBR? I want to do some shark diving and not sure Lizard Island is the best option for that.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question one day visit to Kanagaroo Island this week from Adelaide

I have seen roos in the wild on Stradebroke, so I am hesitating on spending $500 + to visit Kangaroo while visiting Adelaide this week.

If anyone reading this thread wants to go 50/50 on a car rental for a day, PM me please, thanks.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by mmack
We've been to SOL several times, including a week long Wildlife Expedition. We were there end of July, and also September. Weather was fine, for us.

The biggest mistake people make is not having enough time on island. Distances are vast, and 2-3 nights leaves very little time to see the whole island. Plus, if you are staying at Southern Ocean Lodge you will want a day just to enjoy the Lodge.
I've decided I'm going to chance it with the weather and go in September although a bit worried about getting an evening flight back to adelaide as I'll have an 0630 out the following day from adelaide.

Only can give it 3 days 2 nights but it says the length is 155km!! So I've decided to self drive mainly landscape and wildlife focus so I can do things at my own pace rather than a group. Not sure I can do southern ocean lodge as I'd have to split the island into loops to do whereas I'm just planning on doing a circle and splitting that into thirds to get round and will stay with closest accommodation. I don't see myself going back to KI after.

It's more of an opportunistic side trip than a planned destination so my mentality is a bit different from the usual plans. Honey farms/food and art places are off the list unless I find something outstanding on the net to say I must visit.

Question: 4wd or regular car? Tripadvisor says don't need it. A KI guide site says need 4wd (although it could be their con into getting you to go with them?). But I don't fancy getting stuck in a toyota corolla in dirt/sand either.

What's Optus coverage like down there? If I don't have a guide i do a quick google / wiki on the attraction for info!

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I have seen roos in the wild on Stradebroke, so I am hesitating on spending $500 + to visit Kangaroo while visiting Adelaide this week.

If anyone reading this thread wants to go 50/50 on a car rental for a day, PM me please, thanks.
You sure a cuddly koala doesn't appeal?? or landscape features??
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:49 am

Just wanted to feed back a couple of things for future travellers:

Optus is crap. If you're touring outside the main cities in oz you need telstra, but it's more expensive. Better than having no reception. Only had bit of Optus at kingscote. Some places on the island have no cell coverage what so ever.

Can get away with toyota corolla but I do think the bigger cars are nicer as there's lots of unsealed road driving. The main road through the middle, south coast road and airport, kingscote are are tar sealed, but a lot of the scenic points are coastal. KI definitely lends itself to self drive. Take note of where the gas stations are.

Re: animals - take small binoculars so the animals don't scare off but you can still see them.
- echidna, saw one every day roadside. If you try and get close they curl up into a ball which is no fun, so keep a bit of distance.
- seals: unless you want to disregard signs and risk your life clambering down rocks at admirals arch, you won't be chasing them. Seal bay they're on the beach and clearly visible from the board walk, need to do guided tour to go onto beach.
- koalas: fat chance of one being in a tree low down enough for you to grab. Saw 2 at ground level but was also informed they will scratch and bite. Upon using camera zoom I saw their claws looked more like talons! Decided not to chase and cuddle. Cuddles are available at KI wildlife $15, take your own pics. Free to pat. You get to hold them for a few mins vs QLD it was maybe 1 min. It's surprising how tired they get from being held (or maybe I'm just that boring he wanted to fall asleep)! Saw a couple of koalas in the wild in parks just roadside. Hanson bay sanctuary grew gum trees so a good way to see them in their own element.
- Roos: the ones at KI wildlife are tame and you can sneak up, feed and pat. The ones in grassdale? You could only get so close before they move off ie no chance of capture, hence the binoculars are good especially when they have joeys in the pouch. You could actually see roos in some of the fields just driving around but found this more along the north coast road. They're not only out at dusk - wallabies etc will be perched on the side of the road or zip across even during daylight. Road kill was probably the worst I'd seen driving in oz which is sad.
- I didn't go hunting for snakes and thought there would be very little chance of seeing a platypus. Didn't see a goana.

If you're taking kids there is a fortress along the northern coast that isn't on the tourist map. A man has been building it for 11 yrs around his house. It's pretty neat.

Landscape wise there are many bays/beaches you can get to yourself, perfect for picnics and quite picturesque. Pennington bay, Snelling beach, Vivonne bay get my votes and you could picnic at the remarkable rocks on a nice day if not overloaded with tourists. I didn't get to d'estree Bay Area though.

Rex regional fly ADL to KGC - best seats on a turboprop I've ever had. 2 seats one side and 1 seat other side of aisle. Short hop flight. Baggage allowance 15kg with a bit of leeway up to 20kg. On return to ADL - by the time you get to the Rex baggage claim area EVERYONES bags were out - meaning it's a race for the taxis. You don't come out to the main terminal area at all.

Accommodation is somewhat painful. Couple of hotels at kingscote/American river etc but most other places were cabins or holiday home rentals b&b etc. Most places want you to stay 2 night min it seems but you can hunt down a few that will take you for one night if you're hopping around the island. I think it's best either staying central so you have less driving to do to get to either side of the island or along the southern coast as this has a lot of the attractions. Kingscote etc is doable but the driving distance is longer, especially driving to admirals arch, remembering you should be off the roads by dark so that cuts into your sight seeing time.

Several vineyards also but I didn't really visit these.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

NZ, did you give any thought to staying at the Southern Ocean Lodge?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
NZ, did you give any thought to staying at the Southern Ocean Lodge?
Yeah I did and decided I wouldn't... But then I did
I'd put it in the same box as paying for a first class plane ticket - nice, but painful! It's also cheaper if you go with someone. ie it's essentially a room rate rather than per person.

If you're going to be out and about all day trying to see everything I don't recommend it. If you're only there to eat and sleep then your eyes are closed the majority of the time you're there! Better to save $$. If you're just going to catch a few highlights on the island at a leisurely pace and spend time there then it's a good choice. I think pick ups/transfers are included in the price.

The lodge/rooms etc are as you see them online.
Free room mini bar
Turndown service
Shower has regular and that over the top ?rain shower head. Watch your clothing though as some of the water moves passed the drain still. I took a liking to the lavender mint hand wash.
The blanket is very cosy on the couch so it's a good place to read a book or stare out at the ocean and fall asleep.
In room aux cables so you can hook up your own music.
Twist a couple of buttons to make the blinds go up from bed.
Edit: rooms aren't locked either, there's no keys.

Food, drinks are all included.
They'll give you a picnic set if you are shooting out for the day. You can choose from a couple of options, take drinks etc (not sure about alcohol).
Breakfast is pretty standard like toast, spread options, eggs done any way you want with sides to choose from or a couple of other dishes. Muesli etc.
Canapes etc prior to dinner. I wasn't around for these. Open bar.
Dinner - bit of a set menu really with 2 options for mains, very fish based!! More variety on a plane. I know it's an island but Adelaide isn't far and I saw cows, sheep and chickens...who knows maybe it was just the nights I was there (only 2). The tables are spaced apart nicely. Taste wise it's nice but I think I would have been happier with a good steak or lasagna or nice simple chicken dish. I generally haven't had memorable food from fine dining type restaurants.

Open bar - spirits incl whisky, beer, cider, wine (incl port) and cellar available (I think you have to pay for the cellar wines). They can make cocktails for you also. I don't really know Aussie wines too well although it was nice to pick someone's brain about the various wine regions, what they're good at and then make a decision as to what to try. (My current approach of trial and error hasn't worked out too well!) didn't see a drink menu so you can either ask for it by category or go and check the bar area yourself, have a quick sample before deciding. Come to think of it I did like the wines I did taste.

There's a printer and couple of computers. Internet was patchy, bit frustrating.

Bikes are available. They offer guided tours but a number of them you have to pay for. I think they're probably cheaper directly from the operators. Eg hansons bay sanctuary was $7.50 during the day (better pics despite sleepy koalas vs night pics). Nocturnal tour was $70 pp same place. Don't know how much it was direct from hansons but I'd hazard a guess it wasn't $70. Renting a car from SOL $450 per day (pretty sure it was per day) unlimited km. Close to the price for my 4 days renting from airport. I only had a quick browse of the tour listings as I was always going to do my own thing. They had a free guided cliff top walk but you could also do that on your own.

Spa is more massage/therapy based, not manicure pedicure type. I didn't partake.

Staff are nice, keen to help. They've been briefed well. Call you by name when you've never met them before.

Why did I go? A) I was nosey and b) I wanted to get a bit of paperwork done and judging by the other places I'd driven by that probably wasn't going to happen in the cabins. SOL isn't the place you should take paperwork to though.

The only time I'm usually stuck in a motel room is if the weather is crap or I have paperwork to do, or as a lie in. I partly landed myself with the decision of deciding between going out and seeing things or trying to hang out at the lodge because I'd paid the earth for it. Not really a position I like to be in. Seeing things has always been my priority because so often you say you'll go back but you never do!

It's a lovely spot - there's no denying that but I don't think it suited my travel style and I know I'm generally comfortable in much lesser accommodations. Another conclusion is I think I'd rather put the $$ elsewhere. Food also isn't a priority for me when travelling either so I'd likely do things differently if I were to do a return visit. I'd possibly return if I could justify it with a special occasion or something. But these are very much personal conclusions.

Just remembered - penguin tours are down the Penneshaw end of island. Paul's wildlife sanctuary had closed

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Sep 19, 2015 at 6:00 pm Reason: Penguins, more info SOL, Paul's wildlife
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

That's quite the post NZ. Great info, thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: Velocity
For reference, koalas tend to be far more active during the evening & night which is why they may not be interested in being cuddled during the day (if at all!!)

In my opinion, KI is best during Spring when most of the wildflowers are out.

I have visited KI a few times and have camped on each occasion. It's a bit pricy taking your own vehicle over on the boat so you want to make your stay long enough to justify the cost. Fuel from memory, costs more than on the mainland and you are supposed to have no more than half in the tank when taking the car over on the boat.

The unsealed roads can be a bit hazardous to drive on because the ironstone is like ball bearings so they can be quite slippery even in dry weather.

Animals tend to be sighted more frequently early morning/late afternoon. I remember one time that there was a koala on the ground behind the tent in the morning just before I left.

I can't comment on any of the lodges as I avoid them preferring to camp out in Mother Nature.

There are also bus tours to most of the highlights from Adelaide.

Hope this info is of some use to anyone planning on visiting.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhsqcx081114
For reference, koalas tend to be far more active during the evening & night which is why they may not be interested in being cuddled during the day (if at all!!)

In my opinion, KI is best during Spring when most of the wildflowers are out.

I have visited KI a few times and have camped on each occasion. It's a bit pricy taking your own vehicle over on the boat so you want to make your stay long enough to justify the cost. Fuel from memory, costs more than on the mainland and you are supposed to have no more than half in the tank when taking the car over on the boat.

The unsealed roads can be a bit hazardous to drive on because the ironstone is like ball bearings so they can be quite slippery even in dry weather.

Animals tend to be sighted more frequently early morning/late afternoon. I remember one time that there was a koala on the ground behind the tent in the morning just before I left.

I can't comment on any of the lodges as I avoid them preferring to camp out in Mother Nature.

There are also bus tours to most of the highlights from Adelaide.

Hope this info is of some use to anyone planning on visiting.
Good info, thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Ive been dying to read a 'true australian' response to the above.

How many of you have started typing...then stopped?

Anyway, Kangaroo/south ocean lodge is on my list for next year. (Actually looking at some other properties in the Ballies collection... Lizard and Longitude.)

Meanwhile I will work on getting fast enought to catch said animals....

hope your speed work is going well!! We are going there over XMAS!!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:35 pm

Really awesome info! Anyone have photos?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by mhsqcx081114
They make the weirdest continuous beer gut belching noise I have ever heard. They're so cute but the noise just seems wrong

Originally Posted by fly7b2
Really awesome info! Anyone have photos?
I'm trigger happy on the camera but not so great at downloading sorry. I'm deferring that job to xmas.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
we actually just added an extra day on our trip so hoping 5 days will be good!!
Old Apr 15, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Report on KI....

We had a wonderful time. Stayed 4 days.

We stayed in a private home (Life-Time) on the north shore overlooking Snellings beach. It was spectacular. We had food catered by Hannaford and Sachs, eating one night at the Shearing Shed, the other three nights in the house.

Saw: echidnas; wallabys, kangaroos, koalas (all wild). No platys.

Remarkable, Seals, Admirals Arch, Ravine de Casoars Hike, snake lagoon hike, Flinders Chase NP, Cape Borda, Harveys return, plus lots and lots of driving. We drove 900km in 4 days. Everything is far but not so far...its kinda hard to explain. Once you get over the feeling of it being far and just do it, it seems not so bad. We began to learn there, what you learn up north (and elsewhere)...that the space BETWEEN places defines how you feel about the places themselves...and flying in and out doesnt give you a sense of the scale and emptiness there. ('There' being Australia.)

Everyone was super friendly. (While waiting on laundry at Parndana, had a 45 min chat with the IGA proprietor over Donald Trump and American politics!) Had to make a trek up to the pharmacy in Kingscote, they were very helpful.

We rented a 4x4 explicitly to be able to drive on dirt roads and trails- was a toyota FJ, very capable.

We hired a "hop on" tour guide (Luca Lovison. Kangaroo Island Hire A Guide) who rode with us on a day touring. I didn't want to tour with other people, so it was just the two of us plus him in our car. We had him take us "to places we wouldn't find on our own"... pretty cool hikes out toward Cape Borda and then north part of flinders. As he says, "you don't need me to drive into the visitor center or go with you to Remarkables". Highly recommend, good guy.

After 4-5 days in Sydney, Kangaroo Island was SO remote, no people, iconic views, really spectacular time.

SOL was booked for 2 of the days we were there, some kind of 'whole lodge' booking- but reflecting on the isolation one gets at SOL and the monotonic luxury, I think it would have been a very different experience. (FYI-At this point in our trip we were in the 'lets get OUT THERE phase'.... later, on Lizard, we were def in the chill phase.) We drove past SOL, big closed gate- video camera to call. we didnt.

Bunch of other interactions with people, shops, lunch...all really good experiences.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Apr 22, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.