Best Value Inter Australia??

Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Best Value Inter Australia??

We will be flying three legs around the country on our trip to Australia (family of 5)

Melbourne to Alice Springs
Alice Springs to Cairns
Cairns to Sydney

Am I correct that BA Avios is the best value for these flights? 10k Avios points per seat is going to cost me 150k Avios points total and only return around $0.015 US per point which is low compared to the value I usually get.

Alternative suggestions are appreciated.

Have Delta, United, BA, Virgin Atlantic, and Amex points to pick from

Thanks

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Mar 18, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you can get 5 seats on the same flights MEL-ASP-CNS-SYD on the flights you want for $200 per person that seems to be an okay deal as a paid fare.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you looked at the cost of flights?
Getting 5 awards on the same flight will be hard

You have limited choice. Airlines that fly in Australia domestically
- Virgin Australia (Delta partner)
- Jetstar (a low cost low quality carrier with low-medium-high priced fares owned by QF)
- Qantas [OneWorld]
- Tiger Airways (a low cost low quality carrier with low fares part owned by Virgin Australia)
- Regional Express Airways (REX) Regional airline
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF offers a "walkabout pass" which is only sold outside of Australia as an add-on to an international arrival into Australia on QF -- quite a good deal. There may be similar offers available from UA/DL/VA etc. ... check with whatever airline you are flying into Oz. Getting 5 award tickets on the same flight can be hard esp. for ASP which often sells out on some dates and has limited service. MEL-SYD you'd have no trouble, but MEL-ASP-CNS can be very hard for some dates even for paid tickets (all depends on your travel dates and flexibility -- presumably zero if you have a planned itin).
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:26 am

Your choices are very limited

MEL-ASP - 1 flight a day on Qantas
ASP-CNS - 1 flight a day on Qantas
CNS-SYD - you get a few more choices with Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar and Tiger all offering flights.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

thanks for the education.

we will be arriving on Qantas using AA miles. I will have to check ont he walk-about pass.

dates of travel will be specific but I can book 330 days out assuming that is the rule there too. sounds like the limited service to ASP is the biggest challenge.

Prices aren't that bad but trying to save plane ticket $$ to spend on excursions.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ASP will have more flights from SYD
Do you to go to Alice or Uluru/Ayers Rock (AYQ)?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No they don't. Still only one direct flight a day SYD-ASP on Qantas.

SYD-AYQ - 2 flights per day (1 with Jetstar, 1 with Virgin).

MEL-AYQ - 1 flight per day 4 days of the week on Jetstar.

AYQ-CNS - 1 flight per day with Qantas.

Alice Springs/Ayers Rock flights are expensive.

Last edited by kcupp95; Mar 20, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
wanted to go to Alice Springs and spend a couple of days driving to Ayers Rock and back to be able to get a better feel for the area and experience more than just a drop in and take a photo and leave.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
wanted to go to Alice Springs and spend a couple of days driving to Ayers Rock and back to be able to get a better feel for the area and experience more than just a drop in and take a photo and leave.
Why not fly into Alice Springs and out of Ayers Rock Airport (ps even though the airport is called Ayers Rock, it's Uluru for everything else). No point driving 5 hours back to Alice Springs along the same road you just drove in on.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kcupp95
Why not fly into Alice Springs and out of Ayers Rock Airport (ps even though the airport is called Ayers Rock, it's Uluru for everything else). No point driving 5 hours back to Alice Springs along the same road you just drove in on.
I have no objection to that. WQOuld rather spend those 5 hours on a trail somewhere. What are the drop fees like on the rental cars? I will have to check that. Currently considering doing guided camping tour in lieu of car for hire and tour could begin and end in different locations

never have understood the propensity or ego required to rename something that predates you. Like calling Mt. Denali Mt. McKinley.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
never have understood the propensity or ego required to rename something that predates you. Like calling Mt. Denali Mt. McKinley.
Ummm, it was the white folk who renamed it Ayers Rock, the traditional owners called it Uluru well before the white folk arrived.

Dave
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Thought about catching The Ghan for part of your journey, from ADL to ASP?

It is operated by Great Southern Railways, and having done this trip a couple of times I can well recommend it.

Dave
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thadocta
Thought about catching The Ghan for part of your journey, from ADL to ASP?

It is operated by Great Southern Railways, and having done this trip a couple of times I can well recommend it.

Dave
thanks. that sounds like a good ides for us if I can convince my wife the drive to Adelaide is worth it.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:06 pm

thanks. that sounds like a good ides for us if I can convince my wife the drive to Adelaide is worth it.
You'll have more trouble convincing her if the price is worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.