Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christchurch or Wellington?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Christchurch or Wellington?

The last thread I found on this topic was 2012 post-earthquake, so I'd like to ask the FT community since you've been very helpful in assisting with destination choices.

I plan on spending three nights in AKL. How many would you suggest for Christchurch or Wellington? Two? Three?

Which would you rate higher for food, nightlife, scenery and culture?

I'm leaning towards Christchurch purely for easier routing which at the moment which is ADL-AKL-CHC-NAN (There does not appear to be any non-stop service between ADL-CHC or ADL-WLG), but as I mentioned, I know next-to-nothing about either city.

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: NZ*S
If you want scenery, fly AKL-ZQN and make your way to CHC by road. I don't think there is a bad route, but there are certainly several good ones.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
If you want scenery, fly AKL-ZQN and make your way to CHC by road. I don't think there is a bad route, but there are certainly several good ones.
six hour drive?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Christchurch itself has nothing to recommend it really. Wellington does. Both provide good access to other things close by. On balance, I'd always say Wellington (& I come from Christchurch...!) but both can be fine so long as you understand what they are.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Christchurch itself has nothing to recommend it really. Wellington does. Both provide good access to other things close by. On balance, I'd always say Wellington (& I come from Christchurch...!) but both can be fine so long as you understand what they are.
haha... What ARE they? The NZ tourism board (as do all) paints a rosy picture of both.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
Agreed - Done it an couple of times now, and would happy do it again.

Personally I wouldn't spend 3 nights in Auckland, I'd get bored (and I live in Auckland). I'd rather spend 4 nights in the lower South Island heading up to Christchurch.

Queenstown it' self has a bit of an Night life, well allot more than Christchurch has. Wellington is ok, Night life is very over run by drunk uni students.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saaveraward
I plan on spending three nights in AKL. How many would you suggest for Christchurch or Wellington? Two? Three?

Which would you rate higher for food, nightlife, scenery and culture?
Christchurch now has a lot of open space, due to the earthquakes. Not a lot going on, unless, you are a construction worker in a hi viz vest.

Night life in WLG is based on Courtenay Place. Easy to find.
In CHC due to demolition, bars are all over the place.

For 2 days go for Wellington. More to do than Christchurch and in a smaller area

You could take the ferry Wellington to Picton. A good scenic trip. Then train to ChC from Picton.
https://www.interislander.co.nz
http://www.bluebridge.co.nz
http://www.kiwirailscenic.co.nz

Disclaimer
Originally from near Christchurch, and lived in Wellington for 2 years.
Over the last year have spent 50% of the time near Christchurch

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 17, 2015 at 3:40 pm Reason: fixed quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: NZ*S
six hour drive?
Only if you take the direct way If you don't mind a bit more of a road trip and an overnight stop then there are better options that will let you see more.

1) Head south east over the former Otago goldfields and overnight in Dunedin then enjoy the drive up the east coast to CHC.

2) Head north west through native rain forests and the Haast pass to Franz Josef and Fox glaciers then back across via Arthurs pass to Christchurch. You'll want to over night somewhere, best bet is probably one of the glacier towns. I find the desolate west coast amazingly beautiful in its own way. If your trip is in our winter beware of road closures due to snow/ice.

3) Same as #2, but ditch the car at Greymouth and take the TranzAlpine train from Greymouth to Christchurch.

Mwenenzi has already mentioned the Ferry & Train option, which can be done in one day and gives you a chance to look at both Wellington and Christchurch.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
If it is definitely a choice between only WLG and CHC, go for WLG. CHC still hasn't really recovered from the quake and feels completely dead...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input. It seems CHC has more substantial air service than WLG.

I'm trying to get to either from ADL non-stop and it looks like that can't be accomplished to WLG.

My routing (vaguely) would be ADL-WLG-AKL-NAN or ADL-AKL-WLG-NAN. It looks like I'd have to throw a connection in there somewhere.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. It seems CHC has more substantial air service than WLG.

I'm trying to get to either from ADL non-stop and it looks like that can't be accomplished to WLG.

My routing (vaguely) would be ADL-WLG-AKL-NAN or ADL-AKL-WLG-NAN. It looks like I'd have to throw a connection in there somewhere.
ADL-AKL is the only direct option from ADL.

Tasman Routes.

AKL-CNS/MCY(Sessional)/BNE/OOL/SYD/MEL/ADL/PER/NLK
WLG-BNE/OOL/SYD/MEL
CHC-BNE/OOL/SYD/MEL/PER(Sessional)
ZQN-BNE/OOL/SYD/MEL
DUD-BNE

NZ/VA with there joint venture operate all of the above, JQ/QF/EK with there partnership operate about half of the routes above.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
ADL-AKL is the only direct option from ADL.

Tasman Routes.

AKL-CNS/MCY(Sessional)/BNE/OOL/SYD/MEL/ADL/PER/NLK
WLG-BNE/OOL/SYD/MEL
CHC-BNE/OOL/SYD/MEL/PER(Sessional)
ZQN-BNE/OOL/SYD/MEL
DUD-BNE

NZ/VA with there joint venture operate all of the above, JQ/QF/EK with there partnership operate about half of the routes above.
Thanks. I'm stunned there's that much service to Gold Coast!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:22 pm

Thanks. I'm stunned there's that much service to Gold Coast!
WLG/CHC/ZQN-OOL are only an couple times an week, we're as AKL-OOL in Daily on NZ/VA/JQ (so 3 flights an day)
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:32 am

Lived in CHC for 1 month (well before quake)
Lived in Wlg for 2.5-3 years.

Akl: Classic big city, crap transit, night life, but less than most 1m person cites
Wlg: small city, sort of dense, decent transit, very small but active nightlife (~5 blocks) Good arts, it's know to punch above it's class for citites. Still it's not huge. Lots of cafes and good little 1/2 trips. Museum for when the weather sucks(as it often does)
Chc: pastoral city that's not really recovered from earthquake. Even before there just wasn't much, the density has always been very low. Despite being as big as Wlg it feels much smaller.

Wlg is the prettiest, lots of green and water and large hils, views of S Island. Also the worst weather
Akl has lots of water, some fantastic views, less greenery
Chch: the city has limited views, but access to Akaroa, access to S Alps, long drive to Queenstown (ZQN).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.