Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD and AKL in September?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:18 am
Original Poster

SYD and AKL in September?

Considering going to both Sydney and Auckland in the first week of September. I know it will be the tail end of winter there, but what could I expect weather-wise? From what I'm reading temps are around 60F/15C? Cool, but not cold. It's currently 10F/-12C where I am right now, so 60F is not cold to me at least. I'm not much of a water person, so I wouldn't be going swimming/to the beach even if it were summer.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It is not just the temperature. In NZ September is often cool and windy, maybe showery too.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: VAG
Since you're not planning any swimming, I assure you that September is a great month to visit both cities.

Sydney in particular is great in September, that's why the 2000 Olympics was held in that month.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

What about July? Interested in syd, akl, Bne and cairns.
Will it be cold and wet?
Usa summers are only time I can go with kids
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: VAG
Cairns: never ever cold. July is dry season.

Brisbane, Sydney, Auckland: colder than usual in July. Bring a jacket. Don't plan any swimming. Rainfall doesn't vary all much during the year in any of these cities; it might rain or it might not, on any given day.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Cairns: never ever cold. July is dry season.

Brisbane, Sydney, Auckland: colder than usual in July. Bring a jacket. Don't plan any swimming. Rainfall doesn't vary all much during the year in any of these cities; it might rain or it might not, on any given day.
That pretty much sums it up. July is an ideal time to visit Cairns. There are in effect only two seasons there - the "wet" and the "dry". The temperature, particularly during the day, is similar all year. The "wet" can be very wet - humid, rainy, stormy and, if you're unlucky, cyclonic. The "dry", on the other hand, is usually glorious, and July falls into the middle of the "dry". It can rain at any time of year in Cairns, but it's unlikely to be a problem for a visitor in July.

As for the others, as Jorgen says. Brisbane is likely to be warmer during the day than Sydney or Auckland, and it ought to be very pleasant - sunny and dry. Brisbane does have a summer preponderance of rain, so the winter is a good time to go. It can be cool (but not cold) at night. You'll need a jumper/jacket for all three. And rain gear, especially for Sydney and Auckland, but if you are lucky you might not need it much!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by kcdude
What about July? Interested in syd, akl, Bne and cairns.
Will it be cold and wet?
Usa summers are only time I can go with kids
Cairns will be fine. No winter. Expect temps in the 60's and 70's.
Also the ideal time to visit as no cyclones and you can swim at the beaches (beaches closed in summer because of the stingers).

What are your plans for Brisbane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.