Search

Bora Bora & Moorea in December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Bora Bora & Moorea in December

Hi friends,

We are heading to French Polynesia (Moorea and Bora Bora) in December.

We have 2 days in Moorea starting 12/19 and 5 days in the IC Thalasso on Bora Bora from 12/21 onwards.

1. Do you have any experience/recommendation with regards to the weather? Would it be mostly good or lots of rain?

2. Do you have any recommendations for what to bring/leave home, etc?

Thank you in advance!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
December is the beginning of the rainy season, but weather can vary. I spent two weeks in French Polynesia in December 2011. Only one day was a complete washout, and many days had no rain at all- in fact we had beautiful sunshine on multiple days. Some days both rain and sun. The key thing is that it's a bit unpredictable.

Can't advise on what to bring/leave home as each traveler is unique. I am glad I had reef shoes for swimming/snorkeling, however.

Bon voyage.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: A few
I stayed at the IC Thalasso and on La Tahaa (The vanilla island). Loved them both. If you have not done so already, sign up for the IC club (Intercontinental Ambassador-Go to IC hotel site, not through IHG), it was a couple hundred dollars, but we scored a better OTW room, a fruit basket, and free daily (bottled) water, facing Mt Otemanu. It was close to the end of the dock. Very private.

You can take the shuttle boat to the IC resort on the main island, and visit a couple stores (to pick up some bread wine and cheese). The bread was mainly for the fish while snorkling, or feeding the fish through the table in your living room. Rain was unremarkable, think Hawaii around the same time. It may rain, but it is warm and dries fast. If you are affected by mosquitoes, bring repellent. it was worse at the smaller resort though (La Tahaa).

We did the swimming with the sharks, snorkling tour. Great photos! I have one with me and about 14 sharks in the background.

Moorea should be fantastic if you also dive.

Good luck. Post if you have more questions.

Last edited by 96SS; Nov 12, 2014 at 8:59 pm Reason: Updated IC Ambassador
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've been on Moorea in December (and other islands including Rangiroa) and it'll vary. I've seen days with occasional showers and night rains, with breezes and lots of sunny skies.

I also remember a memorable storm whilst we were staying at the old (pre-Sheraton, pre-Hilton) Moorea Lagoon hotel where the rain was fierce, even pouring into our room horizontally by the wind when we opened the door to enter, floods, gobs of rain and mosquitoes, for three days and nights (and a very rough ferry ride from Tahiti to Moorea).

When it rains, silt etc. easing down from the mountains clouds the watersi and makes it murky for snorkeling or diving - particularly bays like Cook's and Opunohu.

A bit of a crap shoot, in other words.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.