Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Recommendations for Sydney and Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Hotel Recommendations for Sydney and Melbourne

I booked a quick vacation for myself in early December, Arriving at SYD 8:30am on a Thursday. I think I will book a cheapo Tigerair flight to MEL Saturday night. Then depart MEL Tuesday 11am. I think Tuesday is a wash. But on the Thursday arrival, I plan to drop my bags at my hotel, then go sight-seeing for the day. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do in SYD and MEL yet but I won't have a car so being close to public transit is critical.

I've got 120K pts with Marriott. Only 22k with IHG, but I'm Gold with both. I'm not sure its worth it to burn all my Marriott points. Not getting the 5th night free deal and I never felt a Cat8 hotel using pts was a good deal as I am use to staying at Courtyard-level or "new"-holiday-inn-type hotels.

Therefore, I think I am best off looking for a local hotel brand. Any recommendations? (close the public transit, "courtyard-level") I'd like to keep it in the $150USD/night range. I got a little sticker shock seeing the prices of some of the hotels. maybe using points is a good deal

Looking at hotels.com, in SYD, most are over $170USD. in MEL, I found quite a few $130USD or under.

Last edited by eng3; Nov 9, 2014 at 8:07 pm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:28 am

You could do worse than the Pensione hotels. Cheap by Oz standards, centrally located, and look quite a bit better than you'd expect from the price. Their parent 8hotels also runs a few other places in the same vein.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
In Sydney? Travelodge Sydney isn't too bad. Cheap, central to the touristy bits, near public transport from the airport, clean & predictable in the same way Comfort Suites and Hampton's usually are.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I did see that. Its at the top of my list at the moment although I'm looking at the Pensione hotels that jpatokal mentioned. and yes, instead of "courtyard/holiday inn - level" I really meant to say clean & predictable. Not old and dingy, especially the bathroom. some place I won't mind walking around barefoot. Don't need high-end luxury. And close to public transit.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Marriott Harbour is a great use of points in sydney. Another alternative is a serviced apartment, I like Adina at Central station (use the back entrance of the railway station as it goes straight to the hotel -- very convenient for the airport train). Be careful with your travel dates, both cities sell out on some dates and $150 hotel rooms suddenly cost $500 instead for those dates. Otherwise hotel quality is pretty good overall and no really bad choices (unlike most US cities).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

So far in SYD 12/4-6, I booked "Diamant Boutique Hotel Sydney" for 177US/night near King Cross and in MEL 12/6-12/9, I booked "Pegasus Apart’Hotel" in CBD for 129US/night. They have free wifi and can be cancelled until I decide for sure.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I've stayed at the Pegasus recently. Good staff, rooms a bit small for an "apartment" but pretty new.

laundry is a guest laundry on another floor. But otherwise it's a good place to stay.

It's at the quieter end of the CBD which suits me fine - there is still plenty of stuff around.

very close to Vic market so wander up there on Sunday morning for coffee/breakfast/whatever.

if you have an Android phone, download "offi's public transport buddy"

It absolutely rocks for Melbourne (haven't tried it in Sydney):
Offi public transport buddy
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
I've stayed at the Pegasus recently. Good staff, rooms a bit small for an "apartment" but pretty new.

laundry is a guest laundry on another floor. But otherwise it's a good place to stay.

It's at the quieter end of the CBD which suits me fine - there is still plenty of stuff around.

very close to Vic market so wander up there on Sunday morning for coffee/breakfast/whatever.

if you have an Android phone, download "offi's public transport buddy"

It absolutely rocks for Melbourne (haven't tried it in Sydney):
Offi public transport buddy
Thanks, I wont be there long enough to use laundry. It seemed like a nice location too. Thanks for the tip on the app too, I noticed that google doesnt seem to support their transit.

Did you fly into MEL? What was the best way for you to get there from the airport? I know the skybus can get you to southern cross station and there are free hotel transfer shuttles but I'll be arriving late saturday (outside of their operating hours)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Thanks, I wont be there long enough to use laundry. It seemed like a nice location too. Thanks for the tip on the app too, I noticed that google doesnt seem to support their transit.

Did you fly into MEL? What was the best way for you to get there from the airport? I know the skybus can get you to southern cross station and there are free hotel transfer shuttles but I'll be arriving late saturday (outside of their operating hours)
yes, Google Maps is good for transport planning in some Australian cities (Perth particularly) but doesn't support all forms of Melbourne transit, which is important as you often need to combine trains, trams and buses.

Get Skybus to Southern Cross.

Then, depending how much you have to carry, you could either walk to Pegasus, use public transport (a bit sparse on Saturday night at that end, but check out Offi when you get to SX), or take a taxi from SX, should be less than $10, as that is what I paid to go right across the CBD a few weeks ago.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:38 pm

Actually, late Saturday night - walking could take you across the nightclub part of King St which is probably best avoided.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I guess a taxi seems like the best choice. Thanks for the tip on the app too, looks great

I'm still planning my trip, I'd appreciate any suggestions for things to see/do in SYD and MEL for the 2-3 days I'll be in each city.

I saw lots of photos of "vivid sydney" where they light up the buildings and have fancy fountains. That seemed right up my alley. I wasn't too clear on it though, is that every night? or was that just for a few days?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Thanks, I guess a taxi seems like the best choice. Thanks for the tip on the app too, looks great

I'm still planning my trip, I'd appreciate any suggestions for things to see/do in SYD and MEL for the 2-3 days I'll be in each city.

I saw lots of photos of "vivid sydney" where they light up the buildings and have fancy fountains. That seemed right up my alley. I wasn't too clear on it though, is that every night? or was that just for a few days?
Vivid is only a couple of weeks a year.

What do you like doing?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
on my trip to syd last march, I used hotwire and bid on a 5* in central business district. worked out to $175. a day. so check hotwire. things to do. buy a multi day pass and take ferrys to manly and also out to watsons bay. at watsons bay, hike out to the lighthouse. also you can hike on trails along the coast from coogee beach to bondi beach. nice walk.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

I thought about trying hotwire but I'm always afraid I'll get stuck with a crappy hotel, poor location, or hidden fees or something.

Sorry, I should have mentioned my interests if I expected to get suggestions. Generally on short trips like this, I try to hit up the major touristy spots. I might try to squeeze in a day trip some place if there's something interesting there. I'm not really into hiking or beaches although I don't mind walks. Not too interested in historical sites (old buildings) unless they are very different from things we find in the US. I suppose I like modern, technical stuff, and aviation as well (ofcourse). For example, I thought the Red Bull museum in Salzburg was cool, I liked the Mandalay Bay in Singapore, BMW museum in Munich, Big Buddha, peak tram, symphony of lights (sorta) in HK and the whole Macau scene. Thats why I thought the vivid thing would have been right up my alley. Then in between all my destinations I try to squeeze in some great food (which is usually the highlight of my trip). Hope that helps
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I thought about trying hotwire but I'm always afraid I'll get stuck with a crappy hotel, poor location, or hidden fees or something.

Sorry, I should have mentioned my interests if I expected to get suggestions. Generally on short trips like this, I try to hit up the major touristy spots. I might try to squeeze in a day trip some place if there's something interesting there. I'm not really into hiking or beaches although I don't mind walks. Not too interested in historical sites (old buildings) unless they are very different from things we find in the US. I suppose I like modern, technical stuff, and aviation as well (ofcourse). For example, I thought the Red Bull museum in Salzburg was cool, I liked the Mandalay Bay in Singapore, BMW museum in Munich, Big Buddha, peak tram, symphony of lights (sorta) in HK and the whole Macau scene. Thats why I thought the vivid thing would have been right up my alley. Then in between all my destinations I try to squeeze in some great food (which is usually the highlight of my trip). Hope that helps
Obviously the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge (walk along it) - go up the south pylon as a cheaper option to taking BridgeClimb. As a resident, I have to admit it's hard to think like a tourist in Sydney.

There's plenty of good food in Sydney and Melbourne. What do you particularly like in that regard? Specific Australian produce that's worth eating includes marron (which is a shellfish like scampi that's very juicy and sweet), bugs (Moreton Bay or Balmain) - again a shellfish with a sweet juicy flavour a la lobster, Crystal Bay prawns, Coffin Bay scallops, Coffin Bay oysters, kangaroo (gamey like venison), and really good beef.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.