Search

Sydney New Years Eve

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Sydney New Years Eve

Hi all,

I'm looking for some Sydney NYE suggestions. I'll be traveling with 2 others, we are all late-20 something males staying in the CBD. We're open to finding a free spot or paying to attend a party/cruise. Just wanting to see if anyone had any ideas/experiences to share.

We've checked out both the Party at the House and Opera Bar options. While on the upper end of our budget those seem to jump out as potential options.

Less than 2 months to go and can't wait!

Last edited by Nehawk; Nov 5, 2014 at 9:54 pm
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Delete

Last edited by Nehawk; Nov 5, 2014 at 9:53 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:28 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Opera bar sells out by Nov so buy quick if that interests you. Generally considered to be the best value NYE event as you get an iconic view and location and at $400+$200 for drinks it isn't that expensive. Does draw a fun crowd in past years if that matters to you (sounds like it does). Better be staying at the PH if you want to pull at Opera.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
After a little research, we ended up splurging for a reserved viewing area through the Royal Botanic Gardens to avoid all the chaos and/or spending our day holding a spot. It looks like there is still availability for their more expensive options, which includes a three course meal.

http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/new_years_eve_2014
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Good choice. You won't avoid the chaos by any means but you'll avoid the torture of holding a space all day and you should get a prime view of the best NYE event on the planet. Let us know how it goes.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Few years back we "splurged" for tickets at one of the bars in Darling Harbour... and they were sold out weeks in advance. I hazily remember some kind of fire works but I'm left with the memory that charges were worth every dollar. But, it'll be crowded chaos wherever you go.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by JonB110
After a little research, we ended up splurging for a reserved viewing area through the Royal Botanic Gardens to avoid all the chaos and/or spending our day holding a spot. It looks like there is still availability for their more expensive options, which includes a three course meal.

http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/new_years_eve_2014
Hey Jon,

DId you come across any other good options in your research? We are not necessarily afraid of the chaos but with a couple spending over $700 bucks for a spot ...it just seems a bit too expensive.

Let me know.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by gorgeoustresses
Hey Jon,

DId you come across any other good options in your research? We are not necessarily afraid of the chaos but with a couple spending over $700 bucks for a spot ...it just seems a bit too expensive.

Let me know.
How about the "Foundation & Friends" tickets?
$65 membership for one person, and $60 per person for NYE tickets at a private lawn in the Royal Botanic Garden.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
We've got two extra tickets to the Taronga Zoo NYE, Gold tickets that give you access to the bird show amphitheatre. Paid $550 for them (for two) but willing to bargain a bit, they are sold out already. Drop me a PM if interested.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:40 am

Hi Nehawk,

You’ve really chosen a great city to celebrate the New Year’s eve! As for the venues, there are numerous places, some good suggestions were already made. Here are some you also might want to consider:

Sydney Cruise Bar: http://www.alistguide.com.au/venues/...nt_events.html

Have a great time!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I'll be at Opera House, might have extra ticket!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:43 pm

Its a wonderful experience celebrating the New Year at the Opera House. One you'll never forget for sure.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:34 pm
uk1
Suspended

Do not make the same mistake as me.

I wanted to sit under a tree in Botanic Gardens for some shade from the sun. I was warned that if I did the fruit bats would poo on me. However, I could see that they hang upside down from the trees, so I ignored the warning. However as I discovered to my cost, simply presuming that because this is Australia and the fruit bats hang upside down, this does not mean that they poo upwards.

Heed my warning!

Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gorgeoustresses
Hey Jon,

Let me know.

Wow I am sorry for the very delayed response and hope that you found something. We were most concerned with not having to stake out a place the entire night so we primarily were looking at the botanic gardens and boats. While you could find some reasonably priced clunkers that looked like they may or may not make it through the night on the water, most of the nicer boats were 400-600 per person. $300 is a lot, but im not sure i will ever be in sydney for NYE again so it was a no brainer for us.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by JonB110
Wow I am sorry for the very delayed response and hope that you found something. We were most concerned with not having to stake out a place the entire night so we primarily were looking at the botanic gardens and boats. While you could find some reasonably priced clunkers that looked like they may or may not make it through the night on the water, most of the nicer boats were 400-600 per person. $300 is a lot, but im not sure i will ever be in sydney for NYE again so it was a no brainer for us.
I don't think you need to worry too much about safety standards. Australia is a first-world country, it would be extremely unlikely that any of those vessels would be unfit for purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.