Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:03 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Asking about interlining suggests you may be on separate tickets? On separate tickets MCT does not apply (that is for transfers on a single ticket) and no way I'd risk 1:10 between flights.

On a single ticket it is doable but if QR flight is late then you'll likely spend the night in SYD (due to curfew they can't hold the WLG flight for late connecting passengers).
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Thanks a lot for your reply, Kiwi Flyer. They would be indeed separate tickets. I am aware of the risk level, I just wanted to ask since QR does sell these exact flights.

What do you think about the return? Would almost four hours be enough for an I-I with separate tickets?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:41 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
4 hours will usually be okay, but not guaranteed.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Thanks again! I will check options then and see what would work best
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:21 pm

Going to have to do T3-T1 Ey to QF
Not looking forward to this...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by stingray072
Going to have to do T3-T1 Ey to QF
Not looking forward to this...
Unless Etihad has started flying Australian domestic flights, I'm guessing you mean you're actually going T1-T3? Or possible QF to EY?

The former is about as smooth a connection as it gets in SYD. The latter depends on whether you have bags, and if you do, whether it was booked on a single ticket or not...
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Unless Etihad has started flying Australian domestic flights, I'm guessing you mean you're actually going T1-T3? Or possible QF to EY?

The former is about as smooth a connection as it gets in SYD. The latter depends on whether you have bags, and if you do, whether it was booked on a single ticket or not...
Going EY to QF domestic - don't even remember if the connection is possible- I may have to overnight in Sydney. If I'm going straight though with bags checked on a single ticket does it still take a decent amount of time (collecting bags, rechecking, etc)?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:42 pm

Going EY to QF domestic - don't even remember if the connection is possible- I may have to overnight in Sydney. If I'm going straight though with bags checked on a single ticket does it still take a decent amount of time (collecting bags, rechecking, etc)?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stingray072
If I'm going straight though with bags checked on a single ticket does it still take a decent amount of time (collecting bags, rechecking, etc)?
Yes.
As SYD is your point of entry to Australia you have to go through immigration, customs & quarantine with all your carry on and checked baggage. Then check in for your domestic flight.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:50 am

SQ connecting to VA, 3.5 hours enough?

I'm coming into Kingsford on Singapore Airlines, arriving 1025, transferring to VA to Hobart, departing 1355. That's 3 and a half hours for I-->D. I assuming that would be comfortable? TIA
Old May 1, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Hello wise people on this forum

I am an Indian national, looking to transit thru SYD on my way to AKL; using these set of flights:

1) SIN-SYD
Qantas 6
Dep: 11:55 pm
Arr: 9:50 am

Layover in SYD
2h 40m

2) SYD-AKL
Qantas 145
Dep: 12:30 pm
Arr: 5:35 pm

Bearing in mind that Indians are required to have a transit visa while transiting Australia enroute to NZ, I am planning to apply for one.

However, I wanted to make sure that this connection is doable. I presumably have to collect checked bags, go thru immigration, check in for my next flight and go through security again. Both flights should operate from T1, so no terminal transfers.
Going through this thread, morning traffic into SYD should theoretically lessen a bit after 9 am, correct?

Both flights will be in business class, if that helps.

Appreciate any insight @:-)
Old May 1, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deovrat
I am an Indian national, looking to transit thru SYD on my way to AKL;
<snip>
Bearing in mind that Indians are required to have a transit visa while transiting Australia enroute to NZ, I am planning to apply for one.

However, I wanted to make sure that this connection is doable. I presumably have to collect checked bags, go thru immigration, check in for my next flight and go through security again. Both flights should operate from T1, so no terminal transfers.

Going through this thread, morning traffic into SYD should theoretically lessen a bit after 9 am, correct?
Would these 2 flights be 1 PNR/ticket? Or 2 separate PNR/tickets?

At SIN QF should be able to through check baggage.
Unless there are separate requirements for Indian citizens, you will remain airside and will not need to go land side through immigration and collect bags and check in again for the AKL flight. Just go throught the transit door.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 1, 2016 at 2:30 am
Old May 1, 2016, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Would these 2 flights be 1 PNR/ticket? Or 2 separate PNR/tickets?

At SIN QF should be able to through check baggage.
Unless there are separate requirements for Indian citizens, you will remain airside and will not need to go land side through immigration and collect bags and check in again for the AKL flight. Just go throught the transit door.
Thank you for the response. Both flights are on same ticket/PNR, so should be checked through.
However, TIMATIC mentions Indian Nationals need a transit visa, so they have to check me for the same at some point presumably?

Some threads on TripAdvisor mention such cases need to go collect their bags and go through Immigration, hence a bit confused.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by deovrat
Some threads on TripAdvisor mention such cases need to go collect their bags and go through Immigration, hence a bit confused.
Your bags will be checked all the way through and you will NOT need to collect them (this would happen in this case even if it wasn't one ticket, due to both flights being Qantas)

Your visa will be checked electronically - basically when you check-in for your first flight the airline sends the details to Australian Immigration who will flag anyone that does not have the required visa, and the airline will stop you from boarding your initial flight. You will not actually need to go through any physical immigration in Sydney (and if you do get to the immigration area - stop - you've gone the wrong way!)

You will get both boarding passes in Singapore. In Sydney you want to head to the International Transfer area, where you will need to re-clear security (no liquids, etc) and then you'll be in the departure area to catch your next flight.

None of this changes the fact that as an Indian citizen you DO need a visa of some form to Australia, with a Transit visa being the easiest to get.

Given all that, 2 hours 40 mins is more than enough. Even when security gets very backed up (which happens occasionally, but rarely) it's at most 30-45 min to get from flight-to-flight. Worst case if you do miss the connecting flight (eg, inbound is delayed) then Qantas will simply put you on the next flight to AKL - they run regularly.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:26 pm

Your visa will be checked electronically - basically when you check-in for your first flight the airline sends the details to Australian Immigration who will flag anyone that does not have the required visa, and the airline will stop you from boarding your initial flight. You will not actually need to go through any physical immigration in Sydney (and if you do get to the immigration area - stop - you've gone the wrong way!)
Thank you so much, it makes everything crystal clear !
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.