Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Two week family trip in December - include Tasmania?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Help: Two week family trip in December - include Tasmania?

Am planning a last-minute family trip to Australia during the last two weeks of December. We would fly into SYD and out of MEL (or BNE as a back up).

I've been to Australia but that was years ago, before Sydney property prices went ballistic and the currency doubled in value. This would be my family's first time though, so I was thinking about hitting the key sites in SYD and MEL and then spending time in one other destination.

At the moment, I am leaning towards spending 5-6 days in Tasmania (4-5 in Sydney and 3-4 in Melbourne/GOR). My current thinking is to fly into HBA or LST and out of the other.

I remember wanting to go there years ago but never made it. I don't think my kids (both under 10) would appreciate Uluru yet, there is no need to go the beach given we were are from, and Darwin and Perth are just too far away, so that leaves more time in SYD and MEL or heading south to Taz.

Is Tasmania a kid-friendly destination? My kids are good about going on extended hikes etc but are probably happier going into a jungle gym, rope course, trampoline park or science museum. I, on the other hand, would rather spend more time in Sydney if the alternative is a tourist trap or a hard-to-get-to place that is similar to places closer by.

Any must-see kids places in Tasmania (I realise it is a big island)?
Any must-see places given the season I am visiting?
Are 5-6 days sufficient to see some of the key sites (my plan is to rent a car)?
More importantly, is Tasmania relatively more crowded or less crowded during Christmas week (than say Sydney and Melbourne)?
Any recommendations on car rental deals?

Thanks!

Last edited by mileagerunner; Oct 27, 2014 at 10:18 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:07 am

According to one poster, you can "see" Tasmania, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, and the GBR in 5 days, and you can "see" Tasmania in four hours: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ost-way-2.html
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by mileagerunner
Am planning a last-minute family trip to Australia during the last two weeks of December. We would fly into SYD and out of MEL (or BNE as a back up).

I've been to Australia but that was years ago, before Sydney property prices went ballistic and the currency doubled in value. This would be my family's first time though, so I was thinking about hitting the key sites in SYD and MEL and then spending time in one other destination.

At the moment, I am leaning towards spending 5-6 days in Tasmania (4-5 in Sydney and 3-4 in Melbourne/GOR). My current thinking is to fly into HBA or LST and out of the other.

I remember wanting to go there years ago but never made it. I don't think my kids (both under 10) would appreciate Uluru yet, there is no need to go the beach given we were are from, and Darwin and Perth are just too far away, so that leaves more time in SYD and MEL or heading south to Taz.

Is Tasmania a kid-friendly destination? My kids are good about going on extended hikes etc but are probably happier going into a jungle gym, rope course, trampoline park or science museum. I, on the other hand, would rather spend more time in Sydney if the alternative is a tourist trap or a hard-to-get-to place that is similar to places closer by.

Are 5-6 days sufficient to see some of the key sites (my plan is to rent a car)?
More importantly, is Tasmania relatively more crowded or less crowded during Christmas week (than say Sydney and Melbourne)?

Thanks!
Hobart is busy from 26 December as people arrive for the end of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. It's a good time to visit as it's busy but a nice busy.

The Taste of Tasmania festival is on during that time. It's well worth going to. Lots of great food.

The west coast (Strahan) is rugged and beautiful but I wouldn't say it's kid friendly. There's a few good attractions in and around Launceston.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: AADULtArer
It's easy to get lost in Tasmania, so I always travel with my wife who brings the map,
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:59 am

I loved my 4.5 days in Tasmania in early January 2012 and would definitely recommend it as an add-on to your trip! We flew into HBA and out of LST and hired a car. We loved the Strahan area where there were lots of younger children visiting. There were some wildlife sanctuaries/places to see the native wildlife, we loved the south ocean boat tour - great views and you'll see penguins and seals. We also loved the Crescent Beach/Tasman peninsula area. I didn't notice as many kids staying near us, however we saw several families in the rec area of the peninsula.

Just a one-off opinion, but I can't wait to go back!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I did a similar (reverse) itinerary on my vacation a few years ago - 5 days each in Melbourne, Tasmania, and Sydney. (The final week was spent driving up the eastern coast to Brisbane.)

If you look at my trip report (linked below), you might get a few ideas of things to do. I'd highly recommend the Tasmania stopover, it was one of the highlights of the trip!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:25 am

Is Tasmania a kid-friendly destination? My kids are good about going on extended hikes etc but are probably happier going into a jungle gym, rope course, trampoline park or science museum...
Tasmania is kid-friendliest in the most rustic / back-to-basics / zero-commercial sense, and the real value from travelling around it with kids - IMHO - is if you're absolutely comfortable leaving political correctness / health and safety concerns / cotton-wool parenting behind.
Noting your preferences, kids' ages, and my thinking above, you could do much worse than focus on LST and areas to the NW of it. Google any of these for more info;
  • Phenomena, Inveresk. Corny but fun.
  • Cataract Gorge. Give yourselves a couple of hours and walk over, eat unhealthily at the cafe with the peacocks, and chairlift back.
  • Leven Canyon - unless anyone has a fear of heights! Walk the trail anti-clockwise from the car-park - you have been warned! This place is bizarrely spectacular, but it's genuinely in the middle-of-nowhere, so it's pretty much a full-day commitment just to get there and back.
  • Narawntapu National Park. For a great (i.e. unbelievably close-up-in-the-wild) wallabies and wombats experience, but make sure you arrive no earlier than an hour before sunset, and just hang around the car-park by the visitor centre until it gets dark. The gas bbqs are clean, tidy, sheltered, and free, so consider a DIY dinner. Take a jacket even in Dec / Jan. Don't leave yourself a long drive to your accommodation afterwards (because the surrounding roads are winding, and unlit). There's a $25 park entry fee which is a small price to pay - and there's an honesty box for it if the Ranger isn't around.
  • Tamar Valley Resort, Grindelwald. They're really stretching the definition of "resort" , but it's a surprisingly pleasant place to stay all the same. The kids might enjoy the mini-golf, indoor pool, and the huge trampoline-like bouncy thing. (If you go to Narawntapu, stay here that night, but check-in before you go to the National Park - it would be a 90-120 minute return drive.)
  • City Park, LST, for no other reason than the world's most unlikely location for a monkey enclosure.
  • Gumleaves Bush Holiday Park. Probably what most campgrounds were like in Australia 30 years ago - hence it's real charm. Only stay here if you can get a cabin (i.e. forget tenting or a camper van - unless you can match all your neighbours' Holden tattoos). Lower all your expectations, let the kids get dirty climbing ropes and trees etc, and have fun.
  • And if you want a parents focussed day where you can play golf / have a spa, then try Barnbougle. Take plenty of money.

Can I suggest a don't-see place with small children? MONA, near Hobart. This is an art museum that has a great reputation and attracts lost of visitors to Hobart, but it's my exception to the cotton-wool parenting rule; it's just not suitable / appropriate for little people. IMHO.

Yes (and it's your only choice in TAS )
Relatively speaking, it's more crowded. But in absolute terms that means little in TAS
If you do decide to go to TAS, PM me.

kbd
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies.

Even more keen to visit Tasmania now, but it seems I may have waited too long to book tickets. Xmas may not be the best time to visit in terms of fares so am looking at new dates now.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.