Cheap hotels in Australia?

Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As my post 4 above "Cheap and descent at peak times will be hard. Hotels cost a lot more than in the USA"
There are holiday Inns in Australia. Just go to the web site and pick a date http://www.holidayinn.com
http://melbourne.holidayinn.com/
http://www.holidayinnparramatta.com.au/

Or just look at what 3rd party web sites are offering
http://www.wotif.com/search/results?...1&viewType=all
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by mangosalad
OK so it looks like my budget is a little low. That said what should i be prepared to spend on a holiday inn type of hotel (not to great, but not bad) per night?

Thanks to everyone that responded thus far.
That time of year in Sydney $300-$400/night.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
The hotel I like in Sydney is Holiday Inn at Pott's Point. And I go for the view rooms of the harbor and opera house. For New Year's Eve the prices will double but it will be cheaper than some others.
I've also stayed at several of the Ibis hotels, at World Square. Darling Harbor, they are OK. Darling Harbor you can get a view room- not of the famous harbor with opera House, but OK, but rooms are very very tiny.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Most hotels will be double the "normal" price for your travel dates in those cities. Supply and demand combined with peak summer holidays. Everything will be over $200 per day and $300 is probably the minimum, not just for Sydney but as your average rate. Many hotels have 3 night minimum stay over NYE (at least for the view rooms) in Sydney. Good luck. The HI Potts Point suggestion is a good one (as well as the Novotel next door -- much nicer than the Ibis and not much more money most of the time).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by bensyd
That time of year in Sydney $300-$400/night.
Holiday Inn at the Rocks - min 2 night stay $AUD1620 for NYE and $1035 for 1 January.

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour - min 3 night stay - NYE is $AUD749, $AUD660 for each night either side of NYE.

Holiday Inn Potts Point - sold out.

Going to Wotif and trying Dec 31 is enough to make a grown man cry. The prices are hideous.

Last edited by JClasstraveller; Oct 14, 2014 at 3:39 am
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Holiday Inn at the Rocks - min 2 night stay $AUD1620 for NYE and $1035 for 1 January.

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour - min 3 night stay - NYE is $AUD749, $AUD660 for each night either side of NYE.

Holiday Inn Potts Point - sold out.

Going to Wotif and trying Dec 31 is enough to make a grown man cry. The prices are hideous.
Ouch. My guesstimate will probably get you the motel down on Allison Road near the racecourse.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by mangosalad
OK so it looks like my budget is a little low. That said what should i be prepared to spend on a holiday inn type of hotel (not to great, but not bad) per night?

Thanks to everyone that responded thus far.
Define what you mean by a Holiday Inn type (Holiday Inn Express or a Holiday Inn).

Somewhere like the Vibe is more Holiday Inn Express and is on the outskirts on the city but will be closer to bensyd's $300 mark. The other alternative to be more central is something like the Menzies which is a little long in the tooth now but very central and is probably going to be in the $500 ballpark.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Define what you mean by a Holiday Inn type (Holiday Inn Express or a Holiday Inn).

Somewhere like the Vibe is more Holiday Inn Express and is on the outskirts on the city but will be closer to bensyd's $300 mark. The other alternative to be more central is something like the Menzies which is a little long in the tooth now but very central and is probably going to be in the $500 ballpark.
Vibe Rushcutters Bay - $433/night. 3 night minimum stay.

Menzies - sold out NYE.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Ouch. My guesstimate will probably get you the motel down on Allison Road near the racecourse.
Lucky to get Novotel at Olympic Park at that guesstimate...

Parramatta isn't a bad bet for OP at this stage.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Vibe Rushcutters Bay - $433/night. 3 night minimum stay.

Menzies - sold out NYE.
I wonder where you're getting your rates from. I'm getting $345/night for the OP's dates at the Vibe and $400 for the Menzies.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:07 am

Wotif.

Jan 2 and 3 are $199/night which drops the average nightly rate by a lot.

If you go the Vibe Rushcutters Bay website, the nightly breakdown is

30 Dec - $435
31 Dec - $459
1 Jan - $435
2 Jan - $199
3 Jan - $199.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
To illustrate how high prices go on high demand days -- when everything is sold out -- friend just paid over $1000 per night for Sofitel Melbourne as their cheapest available room .... some sort of convention was in town with everything booked out. Admittedly he got a nice suite for that price, but could find nothing cheaper. And this is in October! There is tight supply for hotels in much of Australia esp. in the high end.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Accor has a winter sale underway:
Accor Private Sales (up to 50% Discount)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation airbnb

I hear ya! fyi, I planned a non-peak trip in 2011 & discovered how expensive it is to stay at hotels in Australia! My biggest points splurge - The Westin Sydney - was worth every hard earned point.

Having said that, I am going back in 2015. 2 nights in PER, 4 in ADL, and I am going with airbnb. Put simply, the price differential between hotels and airbnb is too much to ignore! In fact, it is 3/x to stay in a OZ hotel.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:24 pm

OP, where did you end up booking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.