Wiki Posts
Search

Rarotonga Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Rarotonga Questions

Planning on going to Rarotonga next September as part of a trip to New Zealand.
Thinking of spending 5 days there to explore and relax.
Is 5 days enough to see the island and maybe do a boat trip to Atutaki?
Would anyone recommend hiring a car for 3 days whilst we're on Rarotonga?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: NZ Koru
maybe do a boat trip to Atutaki?
Have you thought about flying RAR-AIT-RAR? Pretty much only cargo ships between the Islands, that will take you about an day each way and they don't operate very often.

Personally I go for an car while in Rarotonga, that way you can hop off to your own private beach etc and not be restrcited to expensive hotel meals.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
WE thought about doing an organized boat trip to Atutaki for a day.
One thing that concerns us about renting a car is obtaining a local licence which, i believe you must have in order to rent a car out there?
As we plan or arriving in the small hours from AKL this might be a problem.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: QF
Getting a license over there is really very easy.

I went across there with the family a couple of years ago, a few members of the family got their car license and I got my motorbike license. The "test" was basically don't fall off (or in the case of a car, prove you know what the steering wheel does), take the slip of paper the hire place gives you (which allows you to drive / ride to the nearby police station) where you'll fill in a form, have a photo taken, pay your dollars and 10 minutes later you'll have a nice little memento of your trip which doubles as a local drivers license.

The whole process took about an hour and was very easy to do, and you didn't need to prove that you actually had a license from any other country.

When we went we spent 5 days there. We never made it over to Atutaki, that said we certainly won't bored whilst on Rarotonga, there is a lot to see / do there, esp if you stay at one of the resorts.

A couple of the family members hired out a local house, and to me it just felt like hiring a beach house for the weekend when we visited. The resort on the other hand felt like a tropical island getaway. Esp with things like the islander nights.

I did a basic trip report here -> http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...nds-17560.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.