Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney or Melbourne with a teenager

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa
Sydney or Melbourne with a teenager

We are going to Australia late July of 2015, and I need some help in narrowing down where to visit. We only have time to stay in either Sydney or Melbourne, the main part of the trip will be to south Australia for a white shark dive. Our son is really into sports and animals, and from my research so far it looks like Melbourne might be a better fit for that. We originally were looking at the Sydney bridge climb, but it is really expensive for what it is and how long it lasts.

Will there still be AFL games going on in late July in Melbourne? I tried looking for dates but I can't find anything for 2015 yet.

Which city would you pick in our situation?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:24 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes it will be the middle of the AFL season.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Definitely Melbourne, particularly if interested in sport, they would throng to a cockroach race down there (and I say that as a Sydney-sider myself).

The AFL draw for 2015 will not be released until late October/early November this year, as the draw depends on the final positions of the teams in this season. Whilst they try and maximise certain fixtures (local derbys, etc) they try and even it out so that the bottom teams play each other twice, the top teams play each other twice, and the top teams play the bottom teams once. They won't know that until the end of this season (the Grand Final this year will be played on Saturday 27 September, with the final round being played over the weekend 29-31 August) so July will not be a problem for you, in fact you will be getting to the business end of the season.

When the draw is released, look for combinations of the following clubs - they all have large membership bases, and the best part of attending an AFL game is soaking up the atmosphere, so a large crowd will help with this, and add to the enjoyment of the event (even if you have absolutely no idea as to what is happening out on the field):

Collingwood (you have to hate them, EVERYONE who follows an AFL team other than Collingwood HATES Collingwood)

Essendon

Carlton

Geelong

Hawthorn

Sydney (my team, they were originally South Melbourne, and still have a large supporter base in Melbourne. I have been to games in Melbourne involving the Sydney Swans where Sydney supporters outnumbered the host teams supporters).

If you can get a combination of any two of these teams you are guaranteed a good game with a decent crowd and a great atmosphere.

I would also recommend an NRL game if the Melbourne Storm are playing at home that weekend. Whilst I am not a Rugby League aficionado (I actually can't stand the game, despite playing it as a junior) it is a decent spectacle.

Dave

(former Australian Rules umpire)
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
July is mid-season for the NRL (rugby league) and the AFL. Given 2015 is a rugby (rugby union) world cup year, it's likely that the Rugby Championship will be moved forward and will probably start in July. If you can tickets to the Wallabies v the All Blacks it's well worth it.

While I'm not really an AFL fan, I would probably suggest an AFL game over an NRL game. The AFL has the fourth highest average crowd attendance of any sporting competition in the world, whereas the NRL struggles to get bums on seats and has become a TV sport. The atmosphere of a packed MCG will be much better than the average NRL game.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Dave

(former Australian Rules umpire)
*throws pie at Dave*
Carna Pies!!!!

July can be wet and cold in Melbourne but the wildlife sanctuary at Healesville, with ranger talks and demonstrations, is worth a visit any time of year, as are the little penguins at Philip Island.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I'd add Richmond to thadocta's list although only if the team is doing well at the time.

And whatever you do, don't support Collingwood
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the help! It should be an interesting time watching Australian sports coming from a place where we only go to baseball and American Football games!!

So, is Melbourne a good choice over Sydney, or should we give Sydney a second look?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
Thanks to everyone for the help! It should be an interesting time watching Australian sports coming from a place where we only go to baseball and American Football games!!

So, is Melbourne a good choice over Sydney, or should we give Sydney a second look?
There is enough sport in either city at the time of year that you're not going to be struggling to find it. I'd say Sydney is nicer city during the middle of winter. Actually, I'd say it's a nicer city year round.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:27 pm

The weather is likely to be better in Sydney in the midwinter. Melbourne could be OK but it can be dank and dark and miserable, though not cold by most US standards. (Sydney can be miserable too, but that is less likely.)

There's plenty of sport (one sort of "football" or another) in both cities, although for enormous crowds you want to go to Melbourne. (The Sydney wags say that Melbourne gets such large sporting crowds because there's nothing else to do there, but one senses a bit of bias coming out there...) But an AFL (Australian Rules) match involving the Sydney Swans at the Sydney Cricket Ground can be an experience too. (I am, to be fair, not a special fan of the AFL. However, if you don't know anything about a football code, AFL is a good one to go for - the scoring is high and frequent, and there's never a still moment on the field.)

Both cities are worth visiting. Sydney's attractions are much more "obvious" and "in your face", and of course it has the harbour, absolutely one of the most wonderful urban waterways in the world. Sport aside, Melbourne's attractions are much more subtle and it can take a bit of time and discernment to find them, although they can be all the better for that when you do find them. I have heard Melbourne called the most European of cities outside Europe, which seems not an unreasonable description.

For a teenager in the middle of winter, I'd have thought Sydney was a better bet overall, but I'm sure either would repay a visit.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
I did a bit of animals and sport thing in Melbourne back in early November - so their late spring/early summer. Did a 2 day trip thru Sydney but that was quick tourist thing (bridge, Harbour & beach), I also wanted to do the Blue Mountains but they were closed/recovering from the fires.

Then 4 days in Melbourne that included a Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island tour. Saw koalas, penguins, and while driving wallabys and an echidna.

A day at the Flemington Racecourse for horse racing and ended with a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Grounds - they also have a cool small sports museum there with some interactive exhibits - and the Melbourne Museum which has fossils and a cool rain forest exhibit which has some small animals (birds/fishes) in it.

There's a few pics in my trip report:
Sydney and Melbourne

I don't know how it will be in July down there, but it was freezing at Phillip Island once the sun went down. The tour guide had blankets, but man the wind is killer if you didn't have one. I'd compare the cities' weathers to be like LA/SD (Sydney) and SF (Mel).
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by lmwong1977
There's a few pics in my trip report:
Sydney and Melbourne
Great photographs of both places.

I'm not so sure about the pizza though...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

We really appreciate all the help. Mrs travelinterpreters likes the weather in Sydney Our winter time here in the midwest is horrible, the snow I can handle, but the freezing rain and ice we get here is just stupid...so to me the weather in either sydney or melbourne sounds good!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Christopher
Great photographs of both places.

I'm not so sure about the pizza though...
Judging by the ashtray, he was sitting at the outside seats at The Australian.

It's a nice pub and I've eaten there a few times, often sharing my table with international tourists who've dropped in by.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG
I was just in Australia in late June and took my family to a Sydney Swans match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Quite an experience and very interesting to watch the game. My only advice as an American used to food at places like Dodger Stadium is to eat beforehand- the stadium food (particularly the "hot dogs") left a lot to be desired.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by MMB568
I was just in Australia in late June and took my family to a Sydney Swans match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Quite an experience and very interesting to watch the game. My only advice as an American used to food at places like Dodger Stadium is to eat beforehand- the stadium food (particularly the "hot dogs") left a lot to be desired.
You'd be better off with a meat pie or fish and chips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.