Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great Ocean Road Trip Backwards?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I am considering driving the GOR backwards...

Leave Melbourne 6:00 AM to Port Campbell via Princess Highway. Arrive around 10:00 AM and then start working our way back to Melbourne along the GOC.

Pros:

-get quality daylights hours in the Twelve Apostle region
-more lunch opportunities as we will be in PC area.
-not feel rushed to bypass things along the GOR between 12 Apostles and Geelong for fear of not getting to 12 Apostles with enough light to enjoy
-Could stay until sunset if we wish

Cons:

-Sunset could be anywhere on drive back in we choose not to stay (could be a pro due to the "adventure")
-Dinner would be who knows where along the route (could be a pro due to the "adventure")
-If we stay for sunset, no reason to drive the rest of the GOC back thereby missing some of it. (could be a pro due to ease of driving back the Princess Highway)

Thoughts? Any other Pros or Cons to add?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
You'll be driving on the landward side and will have to pull across traffic for parking at viewpoints.

Can be quite a problem on the Apollo Bay - Lorne bit (the "real" GOR in my opinion) in at peak tourist times but otherwise no biggie.

Sunset is not always visible from the east-facing side which you'll be on.

really, the wisdom if this idea is dependent on time of year (sunrise/sunset times), weather conditions etc.

Generally I'd advise taking at least two days but if for some reason you want to dash around it in one then the way you propose isn't so bad.

If you leave Melbourne at 6am you should reach PC before 10. There are more lunch options in Apollo Bay than PC but you won't starve anywhere along the road.

Dinnertime will probably see you in Geelong unless you stop on the Bellarine somewhere. Ocean Grove maybe, or Queenscliff if you have time.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: QF
I've driven along the GOR twice, and both ways where heading towards MEL. No real cons I can thing of, it's not exactly like the "land" side is unable to see the scenery just as well as the "water" side.

In the evening the sunset will be behind you, but each time I've done it I've split the drive up into two days, staying at Apollo Bay each time, if you've made the effort to go there, might as well take your time and enjoy it.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input...

As we are booked in Melbourne for two weeks solid due to the IC14 competition, staying over is not really an option. We do have days off which why we want to do a day trip.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:10 am

Country Footy

Sounds interesting.

Are you with one of the teams?

Here is a picture of the Apollo Bay footy ground , with the dunes and sea beyond. And a rainbo.

the Great Ocean Road is just between the end of the green and the beginning of the dunes.

Last edited by mandolino; Jul 21, 2014 at 8:29 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I traveled solo and went with a private guide for GOR so I could enjoy the scenery while he drove. It was a long one day and sunset was behind us on the way back but I was happy with my day -we started with sun, clouds/gray only at 12 apostles and then sun again before rain. here is my post about it http://philatravelgirl.com/melbourne-great-ocean-road/
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Great Pic!!!!

Originally Posted by mandolino
Sounds interesting.

Are you with one of the teams?

Here is a picture of the Apollo Bay footy ground , with the dunes and sea beyond. And a rainbo.

the Great Ocean Road is just between the end of the green and the beginning of the dunes.

Wish I could be on that field every game! I am actually an Umpire and will be part of the large contingent of the U.S. Mens and Womens teams. Went in 2011 and work 15 IC games and had a blast.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Great Pics!

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
I traveled solo and went with a private guide for GOR so I could enjoy the scenery while he drove. It was a long one day and sunset was behind us on the way back but I was happy with my day -we started with sun, clouds/gray only at 12 apostles and then sun again before rain. here is my post about it http://philatravelgirl.com/melbourne-great-ocean-road/
Thanks for sharing. Question: In your report, you indicate the guide picked you up at 7:15 AM. That was from your hotel in Melbourne correct? We will be starting from the Melbourne CBD and want to get a time line for driving. And what time did you actually leave to return and from what stop?

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Yes my pick up at the Sofitel Melbourne was at 7:15, then the other people (Danish couple) so we were in road by 7:30 ahead of the tour buses. it was November. We rarely saw people at most stops as the tour buses skip a few places we stopped at (lookout, beach walk, etc).
we arrived at twelve apostles later in day after buses had left which is how I had no wait for helicopter ride. I got back to hotel close to 10pm as we didn't stop for dinner (we had snacks left and Tim Tams are great dinner) - we also had a massive rain storm on ride back so slower highway driving. I remember my only food option was room service that late. it really is a long, long day. I would do it over two days if driving to allow you to stop a few times, swim if you want, etc
If you only want twelve apostles probably shorter day like the tour buses do - with our private guide he curated many stops to allow us to walk/explore rather than stay in car all day
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:08 am

I am actually an Umpire
*Throws pie at Yamonjon*

That Apollo Bay ground is often flooded in winter but there are some nice ones to see along the way.

You might enjoy this (rather geeky) website by a goal umpire in Victoria:
Scoreboard pressure .

He takes pictures of scoreboards at rural and urban grounds. More enjoyable than it ought to be. There are pictures of several grounds you will pass on your journey:
Apollo Bay, Lorne, Anglesea, Torquay on the GOR. Some of them are right beside the road.

Various Geelong ones, Winchelsea, Colac, Cobden on the way down to Port Campbell.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by mandolino
*Throws pie at Yamonjon*

Now now, he hasn't admitted to being named Darren Goldspink or "Razor" Ray Chamberlain! Be nice!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

Now now, he hasn't admitted to being named Darren Goldspink or "Razor" Ray Chamberlain! Be nice!
I had the pleasure of training with Razor Ray in 2011. Very nice but quite a character!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by harvyk
No real cons I can thing of, it's not exactly like the "land" side is unable to see the scenery just as well as the "water" side.
For the driver, no difference or maybe a bit better towards Melbourne. But for the passenger, I think the view is quite a bit poorer. But if you are starting from the west, still a worthwhile drive of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.