Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do i need visa for Australia and New zealand ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Do i need visa for Australia and New zealand ?

Hi ,
I am planning to visit Australia and New zealand 3 days each . Do I need to apply visa ? . How to apply ?
Thank you for help .
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What passport do you have?

Most nationalities require a visa, and for many you can apply online.

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: *G
Americans will need electronic visa for Australia.

Not for new Zealand although their border control can be a pain
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bayareas
Hi ,
I am planning to visit Australia and New zealand 3 days each . Do I need to apply visa ? . How to apply ?
Thank you for help .
Maybe if we had more information like what passport you hold we could give Bette advise.

I'm sure Australia and New Zealand consulates' website have the info o you need.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not rely on third-hand information. Look up your specific situation in TIMATIC, the IATA database. It is available to you without charge at:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...sa-and-health/
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:01 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to the Oceania forum for more discussion, as matters re Australia and New Zealand are most often discussed there.

It would be helpful to the community if the OP could state the country of citizenship (passport). Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

I am holding a us passport . Thank you
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bayareas
I am holding a us passport . Thank you
Then yes, you will certain need an ETA. But it's a simple online process. I like to refer to it as "Australia's verification that you have...money". That's pretty much all they're looking for, it seems

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
OP, bit late I know, but if your stay in Aust is under 72 hours, there is a free transit visa, at www.immi.gov.au.
ETA ncessates you paying Aud$20!
You have to apply for the transit visa online, (prior to arrival), you can apply few days before you leave the US.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Transit Without Visa question

I basically have the same question as the OP, except my itin has a layover at SYD that is longer than 8 hrs: arrival from LAX @ 8.20 am and same day departure to AKL is @ 6.30 pm - no need to leave air-side.
TIMATIC and AUS Gov website state:
Eligible travellers must be able to meet the following criteria to be permitted to transit Australia without applying for a visa. Travellers must:

- enter Australia by aircraft; and
- hold a confirmed onward booking to leave Australia to travel to a third country on the same or another aircraft within 8 hours of arrival in Australia;
- hold documentation necessary to enter the country of destination; and
- not need to leave the airport transit lounge except to continue their journey.
(Bolded is mine)

Is this rule strictly enforced and do I need to get the free 72-hr visa ?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Zach1213
Then yes, you will certain need an ETA. But it's a simple online process. I like to refer to it as "Australia's verification that you have...money". That's pretty much all they're looking for, it seems
I note its tit-for-tat. The US also charges Australian passport holders fees for ETSA also.

EU passport holders get evisitor into AU for free (Australian passport holders do not need to make any sort of application into EU before travel)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Travelomania
I basically have the same question as the OP, except my itin has a layover at SYD that is longer than 8 hrs: arrival from LAX @ 8.20 am and same day departure to AKL is @ 6.30 pm - no need to leave air-side.
TIMATIC and AUS Gov website state:
(Bolded is mine)

Is this rule strictly enforced and do I need to get the free 72-hr visa ?
You might be able to get away with it, however we are very strict with our customs / immigration policies and you could potentially be denied boarding in LAX if the check in agent feels that you are outside the spirit of the 8 hours.

For the record, SYD airport airside would be a really boring way to spend 10 hours. With that sort of time you'd easily be able to catch a train into the city and do something.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by harvyk
You might be able to get away with it, however we are very strict with our customs / immigration policies and you could potentially be denied boarding in LAX if the check in agent feels that you are outside the spirit of the 8 hours.

For the record, SYD airport airside would be a really boring way to spend 10 hours. With that sort of time you'd easily be able to catch a train into the city and do something.
Even if Aus immigration doesn't mind the check-in agent may. Get transit visa.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by harvyk
I understand completely, will play by the rules and get the necessary visa
Thanks - Yes, i'm aware, have been in town many times before and will do so again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.