Wiki Posts
Search

NZ - is Intercity coach reliable?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
NZ - is Intercity coach reliable?

Greetings. I am planning to get from Auckland to Matamata for the Hobbiton tour. The coach is scheduled to arrive at the Matamata I-Site at 11:14, while the tour picks up there at 11:45. Having just been on a Megabus in the US that was 2 hours late, I had to inquire about the general on-time-ness of Intercity. A quick Google search found a few comments from years ago saying they were on time, but since those are old data points I would like to confirm afresh. Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
No one can predict what traffic will be like, and that's the factor that will affect OTP.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
No one can predict what traffic will be like
And I'm not asking. But it would be helpful to know what to expect of the bus company: are they generally on time or not?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:11 am

I would expect the bus company will be at the mercy of the traffic.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by italdesign
And I'm not asking. But it would be helpful to know what to expect of the bus company: are they generally on time or not?
Traffic will be a major factor in any Company operating out of Auckland, I live 30km from the CBD and it can take me 60-75minutes to drive home on a week day.

You best option could be looking at car hire for an Day, when you add in the cost cost of the bus.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:22 am

I don't think you will have any problems with InterCity. Given your morning departure from the CBD you will not be in the heavy traffic coming into the city at the start of the day but the lighter traffic going out..

Times that I and family members have used them they have been on time or close to it.

There may also be a liaison with the private tour operator for any unforseen timing issues affecting your connection, and given that InterCity would be aware of tourists using their Matamata service for this reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.