Wiki Posts
Search

Tony Abbott confirms Badgerys Creek as site of second Sydney airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:10 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

Tony Abbott confirms Badgerys Creek as site of second Sydney airport

After months of speculation, the cabinet approved Badgerys Creek (50km/31 miles west of Sydney's central business district) as the location of the second international airport. Construction is set to being in 2016 and the project is estimated to cost $2.5 billion.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-given-goahead
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:05 pm

Interesting. I have only visited a few times, so I don't really have widespread experience with SYD, but I never felt that the airport wasn't capable of handling the traffic it has. At least not in comparison to airports like LHR. Hope it somehow proves beneficial to me in my efforts to return to Sydney in regular intervals.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Groundhog day..

But what about the Badgeries?

Argument against: Does not need it for volume..
Argument for: Curfew at Mascot.. Boy I have been bitten by that plenty of times.. Came to avoid the last flight out as a small delay and you were toast..
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
It's a long way from everything though just looking at a map; they'll have to work on the road infrastructure to get people back into Sydney (either CBD or just the most populated areas) proper. It's good for the Western Suburbs of course, and if the roads are good and rail link is good (imagine how much they'll charge to connect you to Cityrail from all the way out there) . . .

Would they use the country trains then or the regular trains or will they build an express line with a dedicated model?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by HCSmooth66
Interesting. I have only visited a few times, so I don't really have widespread experience with SYD, but I never felt that the airport wasn't capable of handling the traffic it has. At least not in comparison to airports like LHR. Hope it somehow proves beneficial to me in my efforts to return to Sydney in regular intervals.

Agree with the above, I travel 6-8 times a year thru Syd and used to live there, used to work out near Badgery's...not much more than a brickworks and a lot of Kangaroos out there
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:21 pm

I think this is a case of believe it when you see it. 2016 seems like a ridiculously early start to building given the plans don't seem to be fully formed. As for rail, the federal government pledged not to fund any rail projects although Albanese said they're would be a branch off the south west rail line so that the new airport would have a connection to the existing one.

Given that it takes 40 minutes from glen field to the CBD (48mins via the airport) a non-express service from badgers creek to the CBD could take well over an hour.
Abbott and his mob are all about roads so I wouldn't expect any better than that.

(Not that we get any better in Melbourne, we're getting the road tunnel no-one wants rather than the rail tunnel people do (plus a widening of the tullamarine freeway wouldn't go a miss either))
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
They have been talking about this for a few decades... I lived in Sydney 1994 - 1995 and it was often in the news.

Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
After months of speculation, the cabinet approved Badgerys Creek (50km/31 miles west of Sydney's central business district) as the location of the second international airport. Construction is set to being in 2016 and the project is estimated to cost $2.5 billion.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-given-goahead
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:35 pm

Does anyone else think that AU$2.5bn doesn't buy a lot of airport? Heathrow T5 cost GB£4.3bn, Laguardia is spending US$3.6bn on revamping the central terminal. BER cost EUR4.3bn, built on an existing airport and it isn't even functional. How does Abbott reckon he's going to get a fully functioning greenfield airport for AU$2.5bn?

I've lived under some pretty idiotic governments as I've moved around the world but the current Australian LNP one is truly the most moronic.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by oldfolky
How does Abbott reckon he's going to get a fully functioning greenfield airport for AU$2.5bn?
Building another poorly designed airport like every other Australian airport outside MEL and CBR?

They've been talking about an airport for 50 years. I won't believe it until I see it.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Too bad they decided to do this rather than create rail between CBR and sydney ... which would have eliminated the stupid 30 minute flight between CBR and SYD (as well as canberra/sydney traffic ... tolls ... hourly bus from canberra civic ... you name it).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:39 am

They've been talking about an airport for 50 years. I won't believe it until I see it.
Believe. I've found an artists rendition of QF1 taking off in 2025

Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by oldfolky
How does Abbott reckon he's going to get a fully functioning greenfield airport for AU$2.5bn?
Why do you think the original costing from decades ago is no longer accurate?

Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
They have been talking about this for a few decades... I lived in Sydney 1994 - 1995 and it was often in the news.
I lived in Sydney 1986-1988 and it was being talked about then too. Given that airport project initial budgets are always lowballed, wouldn't it make more sense for the government to just buy out the people living near the airport who complain about the noise? Planes are much quieter now, so there may not be all that many.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by relberger
Too bad they decided to do this rather than create rail between CBR and sydney ... which would have eliminated the stupid 30 minute flight between CBR and SYD (as well as canberra/sydney traffic ... tolls ... hourly bus from canberra civic ... you name it).
You mean high speed rail I presume? I doubt that would have changed much. Dare I say, it would have become a very expensive white elephant.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by atsak
Would they use the country trains then or the regular trains or will they build an express line with a dedicated model?
LOL, none of the above with this mob governing.
Motorways with tolls is the only thing they know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.