Community
Wiki Posts
Search

restaurants mel domestic terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

restaurants mel domestic terminal?

My wife and I are visiting Australia for the first time. We have a flight from Cairns to Mel on QF arriving around 5:00p.m. We connect to a Virgin Australia flight around 8:30p.m. Can any one recommend some restaurants for dinner?

I did search. The only thread I could find was from 2002.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
IMHO 3:30 is only enough time to eat at the airport. I assume you'll need time to collect and re-check bags. You'd need to allow 1 hr each way (including waiting) if you got the bus into the city - by which time you'd really want to be heading back to the airport. You'll be able to get a reasonable meal at the airport, but nothing really "special".
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold
Smile

Hi there, I assume you are asking about offerings inside the terminal. I only ever eat in the Qantas club at the airport, but assuming that this was not possible for whatever reason, I would head to Cafe Vue - part of Shane Bennett's empire. The take on board boxes are good value IMHO and I have always assumed that the eat-in food would be tasty. Here's the link - you can check out the menu etc: http://www.vuedemonde.com.au/cafe_vue_melbourne_airport

My second choice would be the outpost of my favorite tapas bar, Movida: it's called Bar Pulpo and is almost opposite Cafe Vue; link here: http://melbourneairport.com.au/shopp...po-by-movida-/

There is a short video on the Bar Pulpo page which demonstrates the offerings at both venues. hope that this is the kind of info you were looking for.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

og thanks but I was looking for restaurants in the terminal.

trinitygirl thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

trinitygirl I just looked at the menu and the you tube. It looks like those are in the international terminal. I guess I should have mentioned I was talking about the domestic terminal.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:43 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by jmj9905
trinitygirl I just looked at the menu and the you tube. It looks like those are in the international terminal. I guess I should have mentioned I was talking about the domestic terminal.
MEL domestic and International (land side) are in the same terminal area with no problems for walking from one to another.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Landing at QF and going out on VA you walk through the landside international area (as post above). Take the stairs up 1 level. Takes all of 3~5 minutes. Just pick any place.

The Parkroyal Melbourne Airport hotel is connected by walkways to the terminal, but hardly worth the effort to go there for a meal
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Cafe Vue has an outpost between the Virgin and International Terminals landside called Cafe Vue Express. I'd second this suggestion. In terms of quality, it's probably the best.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:29 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] As this isn't QF specific I will move to the appropriate forum for better coverage. [/mod hat]
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by og
MEL domestic and International (land side) are in the same terminal area with no problems for walking from one to another.
Some of the outlets that have been mentioned are airside in the international terminal, so OP won't be able to access those assuming both sectors are domestic.

I don't fly Virgin much but I understand you can pay for one-off access to their lounge pre-departure. This might offer another dining alternative.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: QF
Between the QF and INT terminals there is a little collection of restaurants. Don't quite follow the signs to INT and T3, instead once you get out land side on the departures level, head towards the international terminal but take the corridor on the right. From memory there is a few places along there to eat, and that's where I'd be walking past if I was in your position.

As others have said, to get from T1 (QF) to T3 (VA) you need to go via the international terminal (T2). That said everything is all in the one building. There is also a food court in T1 which gives a nice look across the tarmac on the QF side.

Can't tell you what you'll find on the T3 side, since my only experiences there without simply heading for the lounge was 7 years ago.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: Qantas Gold
Red face

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Hi there, I am sorry: I didn't realise you were talking about domestic travel - selective reading I guess. I second the suggestion above about Cafe Vue Express: it has the same quality menu items although the set out is not the same. I don't think any of the domestic terminal offerings are high quality, but Vue would be the best of the pick IMHO. I also second the opinion that walking over to the ParkRoyal is probably not worth the effort: it's certainly a lot more expensive but pretty mediocre (although to be fair, I have only eaten there twice and both times it was on Qantas after flights were delayed overnight). The terminals are easy to walk around and there are the usual distractions - 3 hours will zoom by.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
This link provides an overview of terminal maps.

http://melbourneairport.com.au/fligh.../overview.html

This one is probably most useful: http://melbourneairport.com.au/docs/...-1-v2-copy.pdf

There is also PJ O'Briens (a chain Irish pub) if that is your thing.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Cafe vue express has superb food but is a snack bar (think hamburgers). Definitely the best of what you can access in-terminal. Other choice is the Parkroyal hotel which is 20m from the domestic terminal across a bridge so quite easy walk to reach -- and you have no choice but to go landside connecting to Virgin. Pretty good food and the only real restaurant within reach http://www.parkroyalhotels.com/en/ho...estaurant.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.