Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving in SYD on ANZAC Day. Expectations?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
To be fair there are lots of bridges in Sydney.
Well, yes, there are, but In Sydney "the Bridge" means "the Harbour Bridge" unless there is some reason to suppose that another bridge is meant. Moreover, we were almost in its shadow (metaphorically speaking) when we picked up the taxi.

Anyway, no matter, we got there.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Wait. Which one is the Sydney Harbour Bridge?

Just kidding. :-)

Anyway, thank you everyone for the feedback so far. Please keep it coming.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

A previous poster mentioned Uber in Sydney.

Uber has been getting raves here in the U.S. I'd like to use the in both Sydney and Melbourne. Service good as well there?

Last edited by tampaFL42; Apr 9, 2014 at 6:48 pm
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by tampaFL42
A previous poster mentioned Uber in Sydney.

Uber has been getting raves here in the U.S. I'd like to use the in both Sydney and Melbourne. Service good as well there?
Very good service. The cars are clean, the drivers don't drive like they're trying to evade capture, they speak English and they know how to get to most places.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
The cars are clean, the drivers don't drive like they're trying to evade capture, they speak English and they know how to get to most places.
Sounds good, will try it for our next arrival in Melbourne. That Sydney driver must have a cousin in Melbourne because I was directing one to the Hilton opposite the MCG and he asked me where the MCG was.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Very good service. The cars are clean, the drivers don't drive like they're trying to evade capture, they speak English and they know how to get to most places.
I agree. Every Uber experience I've had in Australia has been top notch (my only less than stellar experience being a driver who was very chatty (and I'm sure meant well) while I was trying to work in the back seat). Also, my recollection is that the flat Uber fare to and from the airport in Sydney is not much more than a taxi.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
What are they like coming to the airport after midnight? Can you pre-book them? All I could see on the site was instruction to text them when you arrive.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jja34-1
Also, my recollection is that the flat Uber fare to and from the airport in Sydney is not much more than a taxi.
They were running a promotion that ended yesterday that gave you 40% off the metered fare for taxis booked through Uber during the day. I'm not sure what sort of chance there is that they'll repeat it but worth looking out for (and yes I realise the irony of slating taxis in this thread and then promoting cheap cab fares!).

Originally Posted by mandolini
What are they like coming to the airport after midnight? Can you pre-book them? All I could see on the site was instruction to text them when you arrive.
You can't pre-book. You should be alright even after midnight. If you've got the app you could actually have a look and see what the availability is after midnight around the airport.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by harvyk
The dawn service (starts around 5:00am from memory, I was a very little kid when I was last at one) is somber, as is the parades in the mornings, the rest is very much so celebratory, pretty much it's the celebration of living life in a free country.
The Dawn Service in the CBD starts at 4:30am. If you've never been (or even if you have) I strongly suggest attending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.