Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
just like we got rid of cheques.
Ummmm, we did??
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
The new PIN@POS mandate will only apply to cards that can do it. International transactions will not be included. Similarly, there will be provision for those who cannot use a PIN to continue to sign (largely those who can't remember it due to diagnosed illness).

I do expect there will come a point where they completely eliminate the possibility of signature - just like we got rid of cheques.
There is already a bypass method-put in a non chip card 3x and there is a bypass-it will say "CHIP FAILURE/SWIPE ALLOWED/USE MAG STRIPE"
The merchant, on the other hand, would likely restrict this (and rightfully so.)
Chip and pin can be used in conjunction with chip and sign (the case in the USA-the merchant terminals are the restriction, not the cards, in which many banks have issued chip cards.)
If they have an illness where they cannot remember a PIN, I would suspect that spending money in general would be more difficult anyhow (as I would guess that they are not as capable of adding the total amount spent and balancing a budget? Then again, many foolish perfectly healthy people make the same mistake and I for one have no sympathy for these people, nor should I as they allow the banks to make money and allow me to get more rewards from the banks.)
Getting rid of cheques?
This year, I got one as compensation from an AU based company....

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Dec 28, 2013 at 5:09 pm
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thadocta
Since they declined to introduce mechanisms to protect personal security which the rest of the world has.

Dave
My HK based Visa has chip + sign...
CX Amex based in HK is also like that.
If the chip is inserted, on some terminals, it will say 'PIN BLOCKED'
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
The use of PINs still doesn't protect you if someone has cloned your card. The people who do this capture the PIN as well.

When I was in the USA a few months ago, several stores asked to see my ID. I was using my US credit cards to meet minimum spend. I didn't mind at all showing them my passport and I was actually glad they asked.

The main reason I am concerned is that when people try to use USA based credit cards in Australia that don't have chip & pin, they will be rejected and have no other recourse. Some of the most popular cards such as Chase Sapphire, Ink, SPG Amex, Amex PRG, etc don't have it. What are they going to do with the person who needs to pay a $1500 hotel bill with a Sapphire? Or the business traveler who needs supplies at an office store with an INK or a tourist buying an opal ring at a jewelry store with a SPG Amex?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiki
The use of PINs still doesn't protect you if someone has cloned your card. The people who do this capture the PIN as well.

When I was in the USA a few months ago, several stores asked to see my ID. I was using my US credit cards to meet minimum spend. I didn't mind at all showing them my passport and I was actually glad they asked.

The main reason I am concerned is that when people try to use USA based credit cards in Australia that don't have chip & pin, they will be rejected and have no other recourse. Some of the most popular cards such as Chase Sapphire, Ink, SPG Amex, Amex PRG, etc don't have it. What are they going to do with the person who needs to pay a $1500 hotel bill with a Sapphire? Or the business traveler who needs supplies at an office store with an INK or a tourist buying an opal ring at a jewelry store with a SPG Amex?
Manual card entry?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Since when was the USA a third world country?
Since the last President was elected.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
It was announced yesterday that the deadline for this is now 1 August.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1226807539017

Not sure what they plan to do with foreigners who don't have PINs on their cards.

Last year there were 48,800 visitors from the USA to Australia. http://www.tourism.australia.com/statistics/10373.aspx
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:51 pm
mfl

Programs: Miles & More, Virgin Velocity
It was announced yesterday that the deadline for this is now 1 August.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1226807539017

Not sure what they plan to do with foreigners who don't have PINs on their cards.

Last year there were 48,800 visitors from the USA to Australia. http://www.tourism.australia.com/statistics/10373.aspx
According to the following article , os visitors will still be able to sign.
also the article states that over 7 million card holders will be affected...

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...-1226807579282
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Last year there were 48,800 visitors from the USA to Australia.
Are you sure about that?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
Are you sure about that?

There were 48,800 visitors from the United States of America during November 2013, bringing the total for the eleven months to November to 445,500, an increase of 5.4 per cent relative to the same period previous year. (from the source indicated above.)
This excludes December as well, of which I would expect an increase due to the holidays and summer in Australia.
The figure quoted is from November, so I would expect 500k+ US citizens to have visited Australia.
Another interesting statistic is more HKers visited Australia than Canadians.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Some cards may work by using the "cash advance" PIN if the terminal authorizes online.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I just got my US based Amex with Chip for Chip & Signature. For those US residents wanting this just call up and ask. It's free and they even overnighted it to me at no cost.
I just have the lowly "green" card.
2 out of my 5 credit cards now have Chips (1 Chip & Signature 1 Chip & Pin) and they just so happen to be the 2 that I use most.
It's slow going but the US is catching up with the rest of the world on this system.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When implemented correctly (which is what Australia is now heading towards) you can't "clone" the "chip". You can clone some parts of it (track 1/2 information is often on the chip), but not the "smartcard" parts of it.

Exactly the same thing they do in countless European countries that have the same restrictions - they let them sign.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I just got my US based Amex with Chip for Chip & Signature. For those US residents wanting this just call up and ask. It's free and they even overnighted it to me at no cost.
They only offer these on some types of cards, not all. Still work asking, of course!

The US is (slowly) headed towards chip-n-pin, and the likes of the recent Target breach are only going to help move things further, especially from a customer mind-share perspective.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
Exactly the same thing they do in countless European countries that have the same restrictions - they let them sign.
Which works if the terminal authorizes online. There are enough that don't do that (in Europe at least) that chip and signature may not be much better than mag stripe for some travelers.

They only offer these on some types of cards, not all. Still work asking, of course!
Blue has EMV too. Just got mine yesterday You do lose the contactless payment functionality though, but I never really used that anyway.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I got it on my Green, my ex has it on her Centurion and the rep said it's available on the Blue, Green, Gold & Platinum. SPG seems to be the only main card without it.

The US is (slowly) headed towards chip-n-pin, and the likes of the recent Target breach are only going to help move things further, especially from a customer mind-share perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.