Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for my first Australia Trip June 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by tt7
You really have it in for Melbourne, don't you?

Some of us are just trying to get the facts straight and correct what we perceive to be incorrect or uninformed information. As to the point of your post, I've no idea ....
I love Melbourne, I know it well, have worked there, spent holidays there and would go back in a heartbeat.

I just can't bear to relive the recent thread where someone who was looking for a beach holiday in Queensland in June or July was advised that Melbourne would be an appropriate alternative. You were a protagonist in that thread and kept contradicting my views on Melbourne, so you should know what the point of this post is.

As I said, I love Melbourne, but its apologists are just bizarre.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: QF Silver
Although the Melbourne rocks/sucks/is too esoteric/etc. debate is rather enjoyable perhaps some VIC enthusiast who would love to go back or knows some of its secret charms might share some actual places to see/things to do.

Unfortunately my only knowledge is of Tullamarine airport and the only useless bit of advice I can offer is before returning to the states purchase a bottle of Koala Blue water from the duty-free shop, it's about 1/2 the price of a Mount Franklin out of a vending machine.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Looks like I will be coming there in August 2014(planning for 14-15 days) and trying to do some reading of Lonely Planet/Travel Guides on the places to visit.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by concordian
Looks like I will be coming there in August 2014(planning for 14-15 days) and trying to do some reading of Lonely Planet/Travel Guides on the places to visit.
Can't you come for longer? It's a great big varied country, you won't get much more than a taste of it in two weeks. I guess it will leave you hungry for a return visit though.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Looks like Australia is a costly place, I need to budget for that and also getting more than 15 days vacation may be tough for me.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:43 am

Looks like Australia is a costly place, I need to budget for that and also getting more than 15 days vacation may be tough for me.
Meh, I travelled regularly to the US when our dollar would only buy 65 US cents, you just have to suck it up I'm afraid
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Aussie rules footy match. Blend in like a local with a VB and pie at half time and hot jam donuts for the kids. My overseas relatives have all loved the atmosphere and the different game.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:47 pm

Just booked a trip for 5nts into Sydney. Just want a taste for future visit. Will do blue mtn one day. Maybe a wine tour and see the kangaroo's and koala's another. Do the bridge climb and maybe see a show at the opera house. Any other ideas?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by nas6034
Just booked a trip for 5nts into Sydney. Just want a taste for future visit. Will do blue mtn one day. Maybe a wine tour and see the kangaroo's and koala's another. Do the bridge climb and maybe see a show at the opera house. Any other ideas?
Why not think about doing a tour of the Opera House rather than seeing a show. You'll probably see several of the halls and get a great feel of the place and its story. The Australian Opera is world class, but the halls are a bit ordinary as performance spaces

The State Theatre in Market Street is a beautiful old building that sometimes has tours, well worth a look. It used to have a wonderful cocktail bar, I don't know if it's still operating, but well worth popping in for a drink if it is, it's a trip back to the 1920s.

I love the zoo and also the aquarium, we always take visitors there. The ferry ride to the zoo has great views of the Opera House.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

I need experts to review my tentative itinerary:

Sydney - 4 days
SYD-Alice Springs Flight - 1-2 days
Rent a car drive to Uluru - 2 days
Drive back to Alice Springs - fly to Darwin
Darwin - Kakadu NP - 3 days
Fly Darwin - Cairns - 2-3 days
Cairns - MEL - spend 2 days

I want to ask about availability of Vegetarian food. Do we have choices esp at Uluru/Kakadu NP etc?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF

Sydney - 4 days

I want to ask about availability of Vegetarian food. Do we have choices esp at Uluru/Kakadu NP etc?
You've certainly packed the trip in.

SYD to Alice Springs is about a day, Alice Springs is interesting enough (I've spent a couple of days there) but on a tight time frame I'd plan on landing, getting a car and driving out to Uluru on the same day as the Alice is not that interesting.

Can't tell you for sure about vegetarian food as I'm not a vego, but you'd probably be able to find it at both Uluru and Kakadu as both are pretty big tourist spots.

I'd suggest taking your own food for the drives though as you may be very limited along the way.

The other thing, make sure you are well rested before doing the drive. Having driven along the absolute flat boring roads you get out there it does not take much for the mind to wander (and the speed to creep up if not using cruise control).

Also be careful overtaking road trains (really large trucks with up to 3 full sized trailers), what ever distance you expect you'll need, double it (if not triple it) esp as there is now speed limits out there. (130km/h) Also be careful around the 3rd trailer as that thing can swing around wildly and can catch ppl unaware.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:30 am

Sydney - 4 days

Be aware that Alice to Uluru is about a 6 hour trip one way (its over 600kms). There is the odd roadhouse along the way. This link provides some useful info. http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/dr...ers-rock.html/. Its a lot of time on the road given the length of your trip. As an alternative, there are 4wd/camping tours that run out of Alice that do a loop including Uluru but taking in the back way, which would let you relax and enjoy the trip with your kids but still see the country. Another alternative is to fly direct to Uluru (forget Alice), and hire a car(4wd) or take a tour out of there. Depends how far the budget stretches I guess.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by PICA
Personally i'd skip Melbourne, I found it a disappointment. I would definitely go to Sydney and then spend a few days in Port Douglas, from where you can explore the GBR. You may also want to think about Brisbane and the Gold Coast (less than an hour away from each other). I found Brisbane really nice for a few days and the Gold Coast also has theme parks etc which the kids would enjoy
FINALLY!

I've always wondered who thought that Sydney was superior to Melbourne - now I know the one person on the planet with this view. Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Dianne47
I lived in Sydney for three years, so am prejudiced, but have to agree with Pica. MEL will be colder, too. Weather will be even colder in July and the first half of August. Think June in Australia = December, July = January, August = February in the northern hemisphere.

Pack layers, be sure to have a mid-weight rain jacket or trenchcoat for SYD. Don't forget an umbrella. If you venture to Queensland it will be warmer.

Lies.

Nobody "lives" in Sydney.

People may exist there, but nobody "lives" there.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by shillard
Lies.

Nobody "lives" in Sydney.

People may exist there, but nobody "lives" there.
Err, actually I live here, and quite happily, as do another 4 million or so other people. Sorry you don't get Sydney, but that's just your loss I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.