Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Australia Ernest Giles Road Conditions? [Alice Springs to Kings Canyon]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2013, 6:47 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt

If anyone has been on Ernest Giles Road in central Australia, I would like to know how long is the drive on the 100-KM unpaved portion (assuming dry weather)? Is two hours reasonable or will it take longer?

I am thinking of using that road as a short cut from Alice Springs to Kings Canyon. Thank you!
Old May 25, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google is your friend
http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadrepor...tral_australia
Clicking http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadrepor...uction_id=5130 shows
Type of Restriction Road Closed
http://www.macdonnellranges.com/Erne...tion-guide.htm shows
The Ernest Giles Road and access tracks are unsealed, sandy and occasionally closed following heavy rain. The tracks are 4WD only, due to their unstable and changing road surfaces.
Do you have real off road 4WD experience ?
If you are in rental vehicle check with rental company. And look at the fine print and tell them what roads/tracks you will drive on on
Short cuts in the outback can take a very long time.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 25, 2013 at 11:17 pm
Old May 26, 2013, 12:23 am
Community Director Emerita

I drove the reverse direction from Kings Canyon to Alice Springs last month. I asked on FlyerTalk about taking that road and was advised against it. I asked again when we were at Kings Canyon and was again advised against it. I stuck with the paved road. We were not driving 4WD. If you are, perhaps the decision could be different.
Old May 26, 2013, 2:48 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Ernest Giles is the fastest route when it is passable. The catch is the dry creek crossings which are sandy and will bog down a non-expert 4WD driver or any 2WD, and of course worse in the wet. Very different from 4WD touring in US. Rangers patrol it so you won't be stranded for more than a day, but pretty good chance of getting stuck unless you've driven over quicksand before, there is a technique to it.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:26 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Google is your friend
http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadrepor...tral_australia
Clicking http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadrepor...uction_id=5130 shows

http://www.macdonnellranges.com/Erne...tion-guide.htm shows

Do you have real off road 4WD experience ?
If you are in rental vehicle check with rental company. And look at the fine print and tell them what roads/tracks you will drive on on
Short cuts in the outback can take a very long time.

Thank you. I saw that the road is closed right now. We will be travelling in July when the rainfall is at is lowest. If we decide to travel that read, I'll be sure to check the condition before hand using the link above.

My car rental company does allow driving on unpaved roads and I have some 4WD outback type experience in Hawaii on roads that seemed in much worse condition than E.G., but I have no experience driving through sand...
Old May 26, 2013, 7:30 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I drove the reverse direction from Kings Canyon to Alice Springs last month. I asked on FlyerTalk about taking that road and was advised against it. I asked again when we were at Kings Canyon and was again advised against it. I stuck with the paved road. We were not driving 4WD. If you are, perhaps the decision could be different.
Thank you. What were the main reasons people were advising against it? I am trying to understand the risks.

I will also carry a satellite phone. If we get stuck, do you know how long it would take for help to arrive if we call?
Old May 26, 2013, 7:32 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Ernest Giles is the fastest route when it is passable. The catch is the dry creek crossings which are sandy and will bog down a non-expert 4WD driver or any 2WD, and of course worse in the wet. Very different from 4WD touring in US. Rangers patrol it so you won't be stranded for more than a day, but pretty good chance of getting stuck unless you've driven over quicksand before, there is a technique to it.
Thank you.

I understand about the wet. I will not attempt if there was rain in the past 72 hours or in the weather forecast calls for rain that day.

I am a bit more puzzled about the sandy parts. Where can I study the driving technique?

Thanks again!
Old May 26, 2013, 9:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following conditions are imposed on 4wd vehicles by Britz, the largest renter of this type of vehicle:

4WD vehicles may only travel to the following areas with the written permission of Britz:

Simpson Desert, Strzelecki Track, Gunbarrel Highway, Cape York, the Bungle Bungles, Oodnadatta Track, Birdsville Track, Tanami
Track, the Plenty Highway, Gibb River Road, Burke Development Road from Chillagoe to Normanton, Savannah Way from Normanton to Borroloola, Fraser Island*, Finke Road (between Alice Springs and Oodnadatta), Central Arnhem Road and Arnhem Land in general, and

Vehicles are not permitted on the Canning Stock Route, the Old Gunbarrel Hwy, the Lost City in Litchfield Park, the Telegraph section of the road to Cape York, Boggy Hole (Finke Gorge National Park) and the Old South Road from Maryvale to Finke at any time. Travel to Cape York between the months of December to May is not permitted.
This list seems to have gotten a lot longer since I rented (and in fact, I drove the entire Savannah Way between Normanton and Borroloola, which I thought was tolerable -- but I am an experienced off-road driver). However, the Ernest Giles road is not on the list so maybe it's reasonably doable in a 4wd vehicle when conditions are good. Never in 2wd.

My technique, if you can call it that, for driving on really sandy/muddy stuff is to keep going, no matter what!

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 26, 2013 at 10:14 am
Old May 26, 2013, 9:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If you have never driven 4WD in sand, then you need to practice and decide based on how well you do wether you can make it on this road. If you do get stranded, it will cost a few thousand dollars for the retrieval unless a fellow traveler pulls you out. Completely different from 4WD in Hawaii, there it is rock climbing
Old May 27, 2013, 8:55 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
If you have never driven 4WD in sand, then you need to practice and decide based on how well you do wether you can make it on this road. If you do get stranded, it will cost a few thousand dollars for the retrieval unless a fellow traveler pulls you out. Completely different from 4WD in Hawaii, there it is rock climbing
Thank you, this is an excellent idea. I think I will practice driving in sand on Texas' beaches, but I have to find a soft sand area. Most of the sand here is very hard; almost like a paved road.

You are right about Hawaii; lots of rock climbing!

Returning to Ernest Giles, and assuming one can get though the dry river beds, what is an approximate drive time for the 100-Km stretch? Is it reasonable to estimate an average of 50 Km/h (2 hour drive)? If I can't get 50 Km/h, I am probably better off going around on the paved roads and drive an extra 130 Km.
Old May 27, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by txp
I will also carry a satellite phone. If we get stuck, do you know how long it would take for help to arrive if we call?
Unless you in immediate danger eg sick / injured / out of water, expect help to take a really long time.

Not to put a too finer point on it, but many a tourist has died out in the outback / aussie bush from taking a overly relaxed attitude. Most people just don't expect how big and empty this country really is.

Unless you really know what you are doing, and have all of the right gear, stick to the paved roads.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:10 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by harvyk
Unless you in immediate danger eg sick / injured / out of water, expect help to take a really long time.

Not to put a too finer point on it, but many a tourist has died out in the outback / aussie bush from taking a overly relaxed attitude. Most people just don't expect how big and empty this country really is.

Unless you really know what you are doing, and have all of the right gear, stick to the paved roads.
Thank you. With all this "NO" advice, I am beginning to have second thoughts about driving on E.G. But... before I give up...

Is there *anyone* out there with a "YES" advice?

Thank you all!
Old May 28, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by txp
Thank you. With all this "NO" advice, I am beginning to have second thoughts about driving on E.G. But... before I give up...

Is there *anyone* out there with a "YES" advice?

Thank you all!
If you really want to do it, speak to the locals first and get their opinion on your skills and gear, they will be best placed to tell you your odds of getting into trouble and more importantly getting out of trouble. Just don't be surprised if they tell you not to do it, as they would have recused more than the one gunhoe person who did not realise what driving out there is like.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:17 am

Are you renting the vehicle? If so, do double-check with the rental company. In particular, if you are renting it somewhere like Sydney or Melbourne, a vague answer from them about "driving on an unsealed road" might not suffice, since they might assume that you will be driving on an unsealed road that is a completely different type of road from the one you are thinking of driving on. That shouldn't be the case, of course, but it can be.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
We did it years ago in our personal 4WD. Truthfully can't see why anyone would take the risk as it's not the scenery is spectacular or any better than what you will see on the paved road in the Kings Canyon area. If something goes wrong as it is not a heavily trafficked road you could spend a long time waiting for help. Driving the sand in Texas is nothing like driving in sand. What you have to remember is there are a lot of potholes as there is not a lot of maintenance done. You will not be driving very fast that's for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.