Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 2, 13, 4:40 am   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
trains & busses from Sydney to Gold Coast

I'm stuck in Sydney with only a My Multi 2, weekly, student, public transportation ticket and no money. Does anyone know if I can use it to catch a bus/train from here to the Gold Coast? Or will I have to buy a completely different ticket?

And if I can use it, where do I go? Which train/stations/bus? I'm only new to Sydney but if someone could help me find out how to get home I would be forever greatful. Please and thankyou!
Nadia Whiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 13, 8:57 am   #2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,265
You will have to buy a new ticket. A MyMulti 2 won't even take you out of the Sydney metropolitan area.
Nugget_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 13, 1:08 pm   #3
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Katoomba (Blue Mountains)
Programs: Mucci
Posts: 7,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz View Post
You will have to buy a new ticket. A MyMulti 2 won't even take you out of the Sydney metropolitan area.
It will get you out of Sydney, providing you only use buses. Won't get you any firther north than about Newcastle though (or maybe Raymond Terrace) - that is assuming there is a network of local buses interconnecting between northern Sydney and the Mental Coast, and the Mental Coast and Newcastle.

Dave
__________________
Raising money for the Leukaemia Foundation, the World's Greatest Shave - sponsor me, every little bit helps!
thadocta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 13, 2:35 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,341
And where is the Mental Coast? Is this a sobriquet for the Central Coast?
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 13, 2:54 pm   #5
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Katoomba (Blue Mountains)
Programs: Mucci
Posts: 7,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
And where is the Mental Coast? Is this a sobriquet for the Central Coast?
Well, they are all strange up there, so Mental Coast is quite approriate. It is between Sydney and Newcastle.

Dave
__________________
Raising money for the Leukaemia Foundation, the World's Greatest Shave - sponsor me, every little bit helps!
thadocta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 13, 4:02 am   #6
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
Well, they are all strange up there, so Mental Coast is quite approriate. It is between Sydney and Newcastle.

Dave
From the OP's point of view, it's important then to note that this is not far from Sydney. Gosford, the main centre on the Central Coast (that is, the Central Coast of NSW) is only about 75 kilometres (ca. 45 miles) north of the middle of Sydney.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 13, 8:46 am   #7
:D!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LON
Programs: BA, A3
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
It will get you out of Sydney, providing you only use buses. Won't get you any firther north than about Newcastle though (or maybe Raymond Terrace) - that is assuming there is a network of local buses interconnecting between northern Sydney and the Mental Coast, and the Mental Coast and Newcastle.
Nope, the furthest north you can get on buses from Sydney CBD is to Mooney Mooney - and the final bus you need runs once a day from Berowra (twice on Saturdays apparently). If you manage to get from there to Kariong (possibly a good hike) then you should be able to make it up as far as Port Stephens by bus.

Going west you can get to Mt Victoria, and south to Kiama, relatively easily though you might as well just buy a MyMulti3 (which would let you travel further by bus to Jervis Bay on Tuesday and Friday)
:D! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 13, 10:53 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MEL
Programs: UA gold, AA gold, VA gold, AF gold, status matching is awesome
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
Well, they are all strange up there, so Mental Coast is quite approriate. It is between Sydney and Newcastle.

Dave
Not as strange as the OP, who wants to catch a bus from Sydney to the Gold Coast using a MyMulti and no money. I'm not sure why we're talking about the Central Coast at all.

A Greyhound on this route seems to cost about $99 each way, which is about the same as flying on a regular day. If you plan ahead you can get a flight on Tiger for $39.95, which is almost undoubtedly the cheapest you're going to get, short of hitchhiking. Of course you'll need to get to Sydney Airport, and away from Coolangatta Airport once you get there.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 13, 2:06 am   #9
:D!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LON
Programs: BA, A3
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Not as strange as the OP, who wants to catch a bus from Sydney to the Gold Coast using a MyMulti and no money. I'm not sure why we're talking about the Central Coast at all.
Well I did once see/overhear some touristy types at a suburban station looking for the Gold Coast on the Cityrail map, and the staff mentioned the area they were pointing at was the Central Coast, but they didn't quite get the point.

And another time someone asked me how they would get to Ayers Rock after taking the train to Lithgow. It's a bit like someone spending a week in New York who thinks of taking a day trip to Florida (by car).
:D! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 13, 4:01 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Well I did once see/overhear some touristy types at a suburban station looking for the Gold Coast on the Cityrail map, and the staff mentioned the area they were pointing at was the Central Coast, but they didn't quite get the point.

And another time someone asked me how they would get to Ayers Rock after taking the train to Lithgow. It's a bit like someone spending a week in New York who thinks of taking a day trip to Florida (by car).
Oh, well, I was once stopped by a pair of tourists in the City of London, who asked me, "Can you tell me the way to Wales?" I replied, "Well, it's west of here," and before I could get another word in they riposted with, "Can we walk there from here?"

And you do hear stories of tourists in, say, Sydney, suggesting that they might get the train to go and see Aunt Myrtle in Perth for tea and be back in Sydney time for a late dinner at their hotel...

Last edited by Christopher; Apr 11, 13 at 9:18 pm.. Reason: Corrected spelling mistake!
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 13, 3:15 am   #11
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SYD (usually), GVA (occasionally)
Programs: QF PS, EK-Silver, Security Theatre Critic
Posts: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Oh, well, I was once stopped by a pair of tourists in the City of London, who asked me, "Can you tell me the way to Wales?" I replied, "Well, it's west of here," and before I could get another word in they riposted with, "Can we walk there from here?"
Stephen Wright: "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

On clueless tourists, my friend once saw a tour group at the Rocks oohing and ahhing over calendars with Australian landscapes, then pass them up after a member of the group pointed out that the calendars wouldn't work in the US "because they'd be off by a day."
__________________
When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. - George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by RadioGirl; Apr 11, 13 at 3:27 am..
RadioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:25 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.