Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Post Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Dual citizen (of US and AUstralia) wanting to travel to Australia.

Can the travel be made with one passport, ie US Passport? If so what do u say on arrival in AU? Should u get a visa before leaving? Have AU citizenship certificate.

Anyone traveled on one passport?

Should u apply for an ETA - is ETA or renewing an AU passport is cheaper:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/visa-...lia-21082.html
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by sciconf
Dual citizen (of US and AUstralia) wanting to travel to Australia.

Can the travel be made with one passport, ie US Passport? If so what do u say on arrival in AU? Should u get a visa before leaving? Have AU citizenship certificate.

Anyone traveled on one passport?

Should u apply for an ETA - is ETA or renewing an AU passport is cheaper:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/visa-...lia-21082.html
As an Australian you must use your Australian passport to enter and leave the country (as you cannot be issued a visa as an Australian citizen). You're going to need your US passport to enter the US as well. One of the "burdens" of dual citizenship.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Departing USA:
Check in with your Australian Passport

Arriving Australia:
Arrival immigration check using your Australian passport

Departing Australia:
Check in with your US passport.
Departure immigration check using your Australian passport

Arriving USA:
Arrival immigration check using your US passport.
scj likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
if you don't have your Australian passport:
Get an ETA on your US passport so the airline will let you check in.
Show your citizenship certificate to Immigration when you enter Australia.

You could then renew your Australian passport while in Australia.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
As an Australian you must use your Australian passport to enter and leave the country (as you cannot be issued a visa as an Australian citizen). You're going to need your US passport to enter the US as well. One of the "burdens" of dual citizenship.
Strictly speaking I don't think they can deny you entry (you're an Australian citizen after all) but they can make it more trouble than it's worth. Direct quote from citizenship.gov.au:

> People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays

Given what the government considers "normal", I'd hate to see what they consider "difficulties and delays".
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - I am seeking practical tips here.

A friend of mine holding UK passport and Canadian citizenship travels on one passport, UK one. So I am wondering what would be practical? Renewing AU passport is - $218 in fees.

Curious, is Canada more lenient than AU?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by sciconf
Thanks all - I am seeking practical tips here.

A friend of mine holding UK passport and Canadian citizenship travels on one passport, UK one. So I am wondering what would be practical? Renewing AU passport is - $218 in fees.

Curious, is Canada more lenient than AU?
Yes, Canada doesn't have a no visa to citizens requirement plus the British passport helps in that you don't need a visa to enter Canada on a British passport.

The Australian issue is that the ETA can't technically be issued to the US passport, however, most issuers don't pass through this protocol.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Despite my advice to the contrary, a friend who is dual recently got an ETA in her US passport and had no issues in/out.

I always do what wallaby suggested.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Despite my advice to the contrary, a friend who is dual recently got an ETA in her US passport and had no issues in/out.

Thanks @stevenshev - great tip.

ETA is $20 for a 12 month period
10yr passport is $218 = $21.8/yr

I have 4 people at home with dual => 4 x $218 => I can buy 4 Samsung S4 mini! Australian politicians are like US CEOs - they give themselves surprise pay rises, occasionally ended up in backtracking.

Mine is expired - I am not going to renew it but try the ETA, which is mostly instant.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevenshev

Thanks @stevenshev - great tip.

10yr passport is $218 = $21.8/yr

I have 4 people at home with dual => 4 x $218 (twice as much as US passport) => I can buy 4 Samsung S4 mini! Australian politicians are like US CEOs - they give themselves surprise pay rises, occasionally ended up in backtracking.

Mine is expired - I am not going to renew it but try the ETA, which is mostly instant.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Strictly speaking I don't think they can deny you entry (you're an Australian citizen after all) but they can make it more trouble than it's worth. Direct quote from citizenship.gov.au:

> People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays

Given what the government considers "normal", I'd hate to see what they consider "difficulties and delays".
The problem wouldn't be entering Australia, but getting checked in in the first place, before you leave USA.

I've entered Australia as a citizen without passport (Immigration confiscated it but told me they could not deny me entry)
That is OK as long as you don't want to stay more than 90 days at any time. It's also possible that they can change the fee at any time - quite possible given the current volatile security environment.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: AA
ETA did I get scammed?

I feel so stupid.

Before I found this site I applied for an ETA to visit Australia in July. I am a US citizen and applied at Visa Travel Australia (visatravelaustralia.com) which I presumed was the Australian government website. I obviously was not paying attention. I received an approval letter but cannot find an ETA number. Plus I was charged double the correct rate. I feel really stupid...did I get scammed or just overcharged?

I guess I should apply through the official government channels?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by ovenbird
Before I found this site I applied for an ETA to visit Australia in July. I am a US citizen and applied at Visa Travel Australia (visatravelaustralia.com) which I presumed was the Australian government website.
Without addressing the rest of your question, why would you assume that a website which did not have a .gov.au address was an official Australian government website?

Dave
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA
Sorry...too much coffee. I will deal with this on my own since I'm the one who created the mess.

thadocta: Did you not read the part where I said "I feel stupid"? Actually, it should have read "I am stupid". You are absolutely correct about looking at the address before proceeding...which I didn't do. Lesson learned.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by ovenbird
I guess I should apply through the official government channels?
Try here mate
https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

I would be more concerned about who you've given your passport and travel details to.....

I can't even find the fake website on a google search.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.