Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They tend to have 1 main phone number that then gets redirected.
Do not like your chances of making phone contact. Finding out the normal non 13 number is hard

From https://www.border.gov.au/about/cont...ions/australia
Do you have a question regarding visa, citizenship, travel or trade, including bringing goods in and out of Australia? Let us help you find the right answer.

Find the answer to your query by using our webform.

If your query is still unanswered you can contact us by phone, Monday – Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm on 131 881 in Australia, except public holidays.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/cont...ions/australia
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
They tend to have 1 main phone number that then gets redirected.
Do not like your chances of making phone contact. Finding out the normal non 13 number is hard
I managed to dig the number out of virtualtourist forum and after a short call with super nice front office personnel early this morning got my visa granted in less than 3 hours. All finally solved.

That front office guy mentioned that when you are under time pressure and cannot call them from outside Australia, in order to better your chances for quick finalization you should include word "URGENT" in the subject line of your e-mail sent to eVisitor Helpdesk mailbox. They apparently have a filter set that filters out those e-mails every morning and those are then treated with highest priority each working day.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, VA Velocity
Really pleased you got a result. Hope you have a great trip to Oz!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
As an aside your plan for making Oz a transit if not having visa to enter is sound, it would have worked but limited international arrivals available for your PER leg (so SYD-AKL-PER would have to have been on NZ not QF for example to avoid a domestic leg in Oz). Plus you lose the booked SYD-PER leg which could have created other problems (e.g. repricing of your QR ticket to be much more expensive). Visitor numbers have surged into Oz at a time when the visa processors are striking for better pay which undoubtedly adds to these delays.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Reading some older posts I'm seeing mixed outcomes of getting a passport stamp upon entering Oz. Have they completely done away with them now?

Going for leisure and like to collect the stamps as souvenirs, so an extra little while in line is not a big deal for us.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Reading some older posts I'm seeing mixed outcomes of getting a passport stamp upon entering Oz. Have they completely done away with them now?

Going for leisure and like to collect the stamps as souvenirs, so an extra little while in line is not a big deal for us.
I would love to know too as we are flying into Brisbane ...if we use Smartgate would our passports get stamped?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: NW/CO, DL Silver, SPG Gold
We arrived in MEL on June 5, so I can definitely say that yes, you can still get your passport stamped after using Smartgate. We scanned our passports, answered the 3 questions at the kiosk (took less than a minute; the wait in line was longer), then took the tickets that printed out and went through the facial recognition line with no wait (my s.o. forgot to take off his glasses and had to redo his). After standing around for a few minutes bewildered that the whole process took less time than toasting a bagel but still coveting inky proof that we had entered the country, we went over to the Australian Border Force desk to the right of the hallway leading to baggage claim and asked the woman sitting there where we could get our passports stamped. She smiled, took our passports, stamped the pages, and returned them to us without saying a word. We thanked her profusely and went on our way. This almost made up for the previous day's travel from hell (bad storms at IAH delayed our flight from ATL for 3 hours, so we missed our connection to LAX and onward to MEL and had to reschedule for the next day, barely escaping Houston's crappy weather as the last 2 standbys on that day's long-delayed last flight out, arriving at LAX at 3 am local time). Almost. All this is to say that yes, you can go through Smartgate and still get your passport stamped if you ask the Australian Border Force official politely.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by chilltheham
We arrived in MEL on June 5, so I can definitely say that yes, you can still get your passport stamped after using Smartgate. We scanned our passports, answered the 3 questions at the kiosk (took less than a minute; the wait in line was longer), then took the tickets that printed out and went through the facial recognition line with no wait (my s.o. forgot to take off his glasses and had to redo his). After standing around for a few minutes bewildered that the whole process took less time than toasting a bagel but still coveting inky proof that we had entered the country, we went over to the Australian Border Force desk to the right of the hallway leading to baggage claim and asked the woman sitting there where we could get our passports stamped. She smiled, took our passports, stamped the pages, and returned them to us without saying a word. We thanked her profusely and went on our way. This almost made up for the previous day's travel from hell (bad storms at IAH delayed our flight from ATL for 3 hours, so we missed our connection to LAX and onward to MEL and had to reschedule for the next day, barely escaping Houston's crappy weather as the last 2 standbys on that day's long-delayed last flight out, arriving at LAX at 3 am local time). Almost. All this is to say that yes, you can go through Smartgate and still get your passport stamped if you ask the Australian Border Force official politely.
Thanks for update. My only issue is my daughter would be 12 years old and per Smartgate website kids have to be at least 18 years to use it. What is not clear is since she is coming with us, can she use smartgate ?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
as a data point, I cleared customs and immigration in ~20 minutes on March 12 2016. F cabin off QF 007... GE/Smart gate... one checked bag off quickly and then customs just looked at our forms and said 'you can go'. Nothing to declare- we were incoming customers.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by MileStalker
I managed to dig the number out of virtualtourist forum and after a short call with super nice front office personnel early this morning got my visa granted in less than 3 hours. All finally solved.

That front office guy mentioned that when you are under time pressure and cannot call them from outside Australia, in order to better your chances for quick finalization you should include word "URGENT" in the subject line of your e-mail sent to eVisitor Helpdesk mailbox. They apparently have a filter set that filters out those e-mails every morning and those are then treated with highest priority each working day.
Hello

Please can you give me the number that you have called? Because I have the same problem that you have and I couldn't find any number to call them.
I really need it
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: NW/CO, DL Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Thanks for update. My only issue is my daughter would be 12 years old and per Smartgate website kids have to be at least 18 years to use it. What is not clear is since she is coming with us, can she use smartgate ?
Looks like you may have to go through the regular non-Smartgate line with her, sorry. According to this (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/...teor-ePassport), "only Australian children aged 10 to 15 years (inclusive) can use arrivals SmartGate if they are accompanied by a minimum of two adults." Nothing about the other Smartgate non-Australian minors; it looks like they're considering expanding the age eligibility in the future, just not now. On the bright side, you can get your passports stamped easily in the regular line, and from what I could see, the regular lines weren't too terribly long in MEL if that's your arrival airport. Good luck!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by chilltheham
Looks like you may have to go through the regular non-Smartgate line with her, sorry. According to this (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/...teor-ePassport), "only Australian children aged 10 to 15 years (inclusive) can use arrivals SmartGate if they are accompanied by a minimum of two adults." Nothing about the other Smartgate non-Australian minors; it looks like they're considering expanding the age eligibility in the future, just not now. On the bright side, you can get your passports stamped easily in the regular line, and from what I could see, the regular lines weren't too terribly long in MEL if that's your arrival airport. Good luck!
Thanks. We are arriving in Brisbane (BNE) at around 6.30 am in the morning...are there crowds at that time?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. We are arriving in Brisbane (BNE) at around 6.30 am in the morning...are there crowds at that time?
Look here http://www.bne.com.au/arrivals-depar...als-departures
Today:-
7 landing from 06:00 to 07:00. Long haul and wide body as a guess.
3 landing from 07:00 to 08:00. 2 are narrow body from NZ (B737 A320 type).
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:32 pm

IME both Smartgate and Non-Smartgate are a zoo at that time of the day.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:19 am

i don't fly into Brisbane often but would certainly agree with the zoo comment. Last time I came through it took me over an hour and that was being pretty rude with cutting the informal queues/mobs before the immigration hall, my brother and his family on the same flight were more polite and it took them 2 1/2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.