Wiki Posts
Search

ETA agencies for US citizen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel

I'm leaving in a few weeks for Australia, and am looking at my options for ETAs. Besides going through eta.immi.gov.au, I found several agencies. EasyETA.com offers A$9.95 ETAs. Are they reputable? Anybody have any other suggestions that would save me money? Or should I just go through the AU department of immigration?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Check out the sticky at the top of this forum.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I have. He is not issuing any new ETAs until Feb 1, 2013.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Go direct

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spicy B
... Besides going through eta.immi.gov.au, I found several agencies. ... Anybody have any other suggestions ...?
Originally Posted by scot-tex
???

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you booked your ticket through a travel agent, they should be able to help you with the ETA, but it probably will not be free. Otherwise, I would use the official government site rather than trusting information to an unknown website.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Aeroplan
Your airline can do it for you. If you are in business class or first, they will waive the fee. Air New Zealand economy charges you $14 if you are flying on Economy. I do not know if United will charge you if you are on economy... trying that one tomorrow. The airline is cheaper than the government website.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:41 am
Original Poster

I am flying VA J via DL Skymiles. Has anybody gotten a free ETA through VA or DL? Doesn't sound like something DL would pick up the tab for.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: QF Silver
I've used about 5-6 online ETA services & just wanted to confirm EasyETA.com worked fine for me. One thing I dislike about all the services (including the Aussie gov't immi site) is that you don't get any sort of official confirmation with a reference number. EasyETA will send you a scan with your name, passport #, etc. and a note saying your ETA was approved but it might as well be one you did yourself.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Zarf4
I've used about 5-6 online ETA services & just wanted to confirm EasyETA.com worked fine for me. One thing I dislike about all the services (including the Aussie gov't immi site) is that you don't get any sort of official confirmation with a reference number. EasyETA will send you a scan with your name, passport #, etc. and a note saying your ETA was approved but it might as well be one you did yourself.
I went direct. I figured it was the safest way to go (the "official" way) rather than possibly getting denied boarding on my flight over because I don't have my visas squared away. I don't have other experience using other sources, but the Aussie gov't immi does provide the reference number. You just need to go back on their site and check status (with the reference and passport info) to verify the status.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Australian site does give you a reference number.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Zarf4
Did it last night after United didn't do it right (25 minutes on the phone and the first 5 minutes were explaining what an ETA is. No in my case it is NOT estimated time of arrival!) they do give you a number and instant confirmation. It is $20 AUD. United charges $20 USD for non business flyers. Or the agent I was with was an idiot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.