Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic flight leaving SYD T1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Domestic flight leaving SYD T1

On an upcoming trip to Australia in June I have a domestic flight SYD-MEL that leaves from T1 (JQ35). It appears that based on information gleaned from the Sydney Airport website that I'll have to clear customs and immigration for this flight as it leaves from the international terminal.

I'm trying to figure out what time I should arrive at the airport for this flight. JQ35 is scheduled to leave at 1500. I'll be coming from the CBD.

Is there anything else I should be aware of in regards to this flight? Any advice will be gladly accepted. Hopefully I won't regret picking this particular flight.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:02 am
tt7

I can't really answer the specifics of your question - JQ 35 goes to Bali (via MEL) hence its departure from the international terminal. In my limited experience of such flights, if you're on the purely-domestic leg of an international flight, your boarding pass will have a big "D" (= domestic) printed on it, which is what will get you out of immigration etc. in MEL without all the usual questions. Hopefully, others who have more familiarity with such flights, particularly out of Sydney, can provide input.

As to whether you'll "regret picking this particular flight", SYD-MEL is probably one of the most frequent/heavily travelled routes in existence (anywhere). Qantas flies every half hour during the morning and afternoon/evening peak and every hour the rest of the day. Virgin Blue does likewise. Why one would pick a Jetstar flight leaving from the international terminal, only you know!

As for check-in times, I assume this would qualify as a "domestic flight departing international terminals". As it says "For domestic flights departing international terminals we recommend arriving at the Airport no less than two hours prior to departure. Check-in closes strictly 60 minutes before the scheduled departure."
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing out the "no less than two hours prior to departure". I had missed that on earlier readings of the JQ web page.

I ended up on on JQ35 as JQ informed me a of schedule change on my original flight. Surprising I was offered the choice as the schedule change on my original flight was only 10 minutes. Given the choice to leave SYD at 1500 instead of 1210 sounded appealing. After I selected JQ35 I discovered it left from the International terminal.

Thanks for the information about the red D. I'm really not worried about it but I like to know ahead of time about potential problems.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
If you have OW status, you will get to experience the international lounge, which has better offerings than the domestic lounge. Everything you purchase airside will also be GST free - although you won't be able to purchase larger items (like cameras and so on) smaller items - food and bev, newspapers and so on - will all be tax-free (not a big reduction, but as an example, a newspaper costing $1 will instead be 91c, rounded down to 90c).

You'll also get out at MEL fairly quickly with the bright orange D sticker, as you'll normally by-pass the checking stations.

Do bear in mind though that you can be selected for the full customs screening, even though you are a domestic passenger. This is because you have had the opportunity to mix with passengers who are subhect to immigration and customs control, in Sydney, on the flight, and on arrival in Melbourne, who would have had the opportunity to pass any contraband to you to avoid detection. It rarely happens, but it can. I've had it twice from about 40 such flights.

You will also need to retain your boarding pass, as this will get you through immigration and then customs on arrival (it will be taken from you by customs).

And you will need photo ID for this flight, rather than whatever ID they decide to accept for a normal domestic flight. This is a customs requirement, not an airline requirement.

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful information! I currently do not have OW status but maybe I'll luck out and get guested in. As this particular flight is around the mid point of my trip from the US I'll have my passport with me for photo id.

It sounds like this flight should work out just fine.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Let us know how it all worked out.

Thanks for the donation, btw, it all helps, and it is a great cause.

Dave
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
You are also swubject to international screening requirements instead of domestic. So no liquids over 100mls (allowed on domestic in Aus). Though I believe new scaners in international will be overcoming this shortly.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Sorry to dig up an old thread (but could not find answer elsewhere) -- are there any SYD-MEL flights currently departing from T1? I'd love to sample the QF first lounge on departure from SYD if I can pull it off!

[Edited to add: Based on my research, it seems like some Jetstar flights do depart from the T1 international terminal, but since it is not part of oneworld, would not afford an AA EXP access to the QF First lounge, although QF Platinums can avail themselves. Please correct me if I've missed a secret QF MEL-SYD flight or other carrier!]

Last edited by JohnnyP; Aug 30, 2015 at 9:30 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:24 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You are correct, it is a QFF-only benefit at the moment as only JQ and no QF domestic flights from T1. Hence why I keep WP status as well as EXP even though I never fly JQ if I can avoid it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.