Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Private yacht in Bora Bora? (AmEx trip of a lifetime winner, can spend up to $20k)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Private yacht in Bora Bora? (AmEx trip of a lifetime winner, can spend up to $20k)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Talking Private yacht in Bora Bora? (AmEx trip of a lifetime winner, can spend up to $20k)

Hi, all; we're in the process of planning our $20k AmEx "Trip of a Lifetime" trip. If you'd like to catch up on how we ended up selecting Bora Bora and/or what this trip is about, feel free to read the thread at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...uld-we-go.html

(But long story short: we won a sweepstakes, can go anywhere in the world, we picked Bora Bora and now we have to finalize details so trip completes by 5/16/2012...)

Now that our decision has been made, we are working with a travel agent (they provided her) and asked them to look into both overwater bungalows and private yachts. On the yacht front, they came up with the "Tahiti Twosome Cruise":

http://www.tahitiyachtcharter.com/in...twosome-cruise

It looks OK, but just...OK. Is it our best option? We can't find a better one googling around and travel agent knowledge is limited (this is the only yacht option they came up with).

If it were you, would you take this or a week at the Four Seasons or St. Regis? They're about the same price. Or some other, nicer yacht? We've never been on a yacht so we're kind of groping in the dark here. Help!

Regards,
Katherine
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:30 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
That price is for their smallest cat (12m); since you are asking then you aren't boat people, in which case a week cruising this way is not for you. Certainly a different kind of luxury than you get at the FS or any of the land resorts. This is fun if you sail, but not as pax. The food will be dismal after the first day. If you do this, at least get their 17m boat, but that is out of your price range. In general a first trip on a yacht is best done overnight -- at anchor -- and then build up from their, for an enjoyable vacation!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
That price is for their smallest cat (12m); since you are asking then you aren't boat people, in which case a week cruising this way is not for you. Certainly a different kind of luxury than you get at the FS or any of the land resorts. This is fun if you sail, but not as pax. The food will be dismal after the first day. If you do this, at least get their 17m boat, but that is out of your price range. In general a first trip on a yacht is best done overnight -- at anchor -- and then build up from their, for an enjoyable vacation!
Correct, we aren't boat people (meaning, we have no substantial experience on boats)...our thinking was just, what can we do that's "once in a lifetime," unique, something we could never otherwise afford?

The food didn't even occur to me but you're probably right. After reviewing the itinerary, the main thing we thought is, we can do all those things and more with the Four Seasons or the St. Regis as our base.

I just didn't want to pass up a unique opportunity...if lots of "boat people" said "that looks amazing!" then I'd start to feel differently. That does not seem to be the case....
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:53 pm
Original Member

You could rent that same boat for an overnight trip, if you really wanted to, but I suspect a half-day sail would be plenty
The over-water bungalows with views of fish swimming below your bed are pretty "once in a lifetime" though lack privacy for the most part. I just spent $20K for a week at Christmas (but that was for a "normal" annual christmas break) at Langkawi, and included charter of a boat for half-day (that cost $1500, it was a nicer boat than you can get in Tahiti). Special is what you make of it, you can have "once in a lifetime" memories from very cheap trips too. You've picked a "chill out" vacation spot, priced high for the exclusivity and not so much because it is that good (most of Asia would have it beat on service and amenities, but not on that "Blue Pacific Lagoon" location. Also be aware of the exteme weight limits on the flight to Bora Bora -- pack half a bag, maximum. You only need a swimsuit, and that only for formal dress.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

You could rent that same boat for an overnight trip, if you really wanted to, but I suspect a half-day sail would be plenty
The over-water bungalows with views of fish swimming below your bed are pretty "once in a lifetime" though lack privacy for the most part. I just spent $20K for a week at Christmas (but that was for a "normal" annual christmas break) at Langkawi, and included charter of a boat for half-day (that cost $1500, it was a nicer boat than you can get in Tahiti). Special is what you make of it, you can have "once in a lifetime" memories from very cheap trips too. You've picked a "chill out" vacation spot, priced high for the exclusivity and not so much because it is that good (most of Asia would have it beat on service and amenities, but not on that "Blue Pacific Lagoon" location. Also be aware of the exteme weight limits on the flight to Bora Bora -- pack half a bag, maximum. You only need a swimsuit, and that only for formal dress.
i saw something about the weight limits on that flight...i just assumed (maybe i gave up too easily) we'll have to pay extra...because how in the hell can anyone meet that requirement??

we are talking about going for a week (7 nights). i mean i realize we don't need suits or formal attire but a few swimsuits, shorts, bras, tshirts, underwear, socks, sundresses, sunscreen and toiletries, shoes and a netbook must exceed it.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:43 pm

I was looking to rent yachts, and a nice one with crew and fuel was costing over $20k a day!

Don't bother with a yacht; you are going to such a beautiful place already Get a really nice villa and enjoy!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:44 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by BettyKat
i saw something about the weight limits on that flight...i just assumed (maybe i gave up too easily) we'll have to pay extra...because how in the hell can anyone meet that requirement??

we are talking about going for a week (7 nights). i mean i realize we don't need suits or formal attire but a few swimsuits, shorts, bras, tshirts, underwear, socks, sundresses, sunscreen and toiletries, shoes and a netbook must exceed it.
How strict the weight limit is enforced varies with flight conditions that day (wind, temperature and weight of pax being carried). When enforced there is no extra payment -- the excess weight is left behind (or you can choose to try for a different flight, or buy an extra pax ticket). It isn't a revenue measure, but safety related. You don't need most of the things you mentioned!!!! Or can buy them at Bora Bora (for a very high price).
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:09 am
Original Poster

How strict the weight limit is enforced varies with flight conditions that day (wind, temperature and weight of pax being carried). When enforced there is no extra payment -- the excess weight is left behind (or you can choose to try for a different flight, or buy an extra pax ticket). It isn't a revenue measure, but safety related. You don't need most of the things you mentioned!!!! Or can buy them at Bora Bora (for a very high price).
well, i certainly don't want to buy an extra pax ticket (the tickets from PPT-BOB are expensive) or leave my stuff behind...so i guess i'll be sticking to the weight limits.

i'm not a crazy overpacker -and for beach vacations like this i usually refuse to be dressed at any point (i don't need even one 'fancy dinner' out) - so i'm sure i can do it. it's just going to require a higher level of mindfulness than usual.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:58 pm

Bora Bora

WE just returned three weeks ago from the region for our second time and it is spectacular. I would suggest you consider combining a Paul Gauguin cruise with a land based vacation, presuming you have the time for both.

The PG is an upscale small cruise ship based in Tahiti that sails the region on 7, 10, 11, and 14 night trips. I would couple with this, with your budget, about 5 nights in Moorea at the Hilton in an overwater bungalow and another 5 nights in Bora Bora at the Four Seasons or one of the other top resorts also in an overwater bungalow. The cruise price includes air from LAX but Air Taiti Nui is an uncomfortable coach seat and upgrading to business (a recliner, not a nice lie flat bed) will cost an extra $3,000 or so per person roundtrip.

On the ship you could blow your budget on a higher level cabin but all of the basic cabins are 200 square feet and identical except that some has two portholes, some a window and some a small balcony. For a 7 night cruise the price per person will range from about $4,000 per person to about $7,000 per person for this range of cabin. IMHO unless you have the budget to blow stick with the two porthole cabin. The ship was refurbished last month and we were on the first cruise after drydock from Australia to Tahiti. Except for the weather it was great.

If you do go to this region and upgrade to business class most of your budget will be gone. For a cruise figure $10,000 for two plus $6,000 if you upgrade. If you do not upgrade you have the $$$ to do both Moorea and Bora Bora.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flightmedic
WE just returned three weeks ago from the region for our second time and it is spectacular. I would suggest you consider combining a Paul Gauguin cruise with a land based vacation, presuming you have the time for both.

The PG is an upscale small cruise ship based in Tahiti that sails the region on 7, 10, 11, and 14 night trips. I would couple with this, with your budget, about 5 nights in Moorea at the Hilton in an overwater bungalow and another 5 nights in Bora Bora at the Four Seasons or one of the other top resorts also in an overwater bungalow. The cruise price includes air from LAX but Air Taiti Nui is an uncomfortable coach seat and upgrading to business (a recliner, not a nice lie flat bed) will cost an extra $3,000 or so per person roundtrip.

On the ship you could blow your budget on a higher level cabin but all of the basic cabins are 200 square feet and identical except that some has two portholes, some a window and some a small balcony. For a 7 night cruise the price per person will range from about $4,000 per person to about $7,000 per person for this range of cabin. IMHO unless you have the budget to blow stick with the two porthole cabin. The ship was refurbished last month and we were on the first cruise after drydock from Australia to Tahiti. Except for the weather it was great.

If you do go to this region and upgrade to business class most of your budget will be gone. For a cruise figure $10,000 for two plus $6,000 if you upgrade. If you do not upgrade you have the $$$ to do both Moorea and Bora Bora.
i looked into gaugin and they look nice but a bit risky, to pin us to a ship (and we don't want to be around other people).

the bigger issue though is max 7 nights, so we can't do a cruise and then spend 5 or whatever nights in a hotel....we are better off IMO with 7 nights in a resort. or at least that's my preference. but thanks for sharing your experience, good to know the ship is a pleasure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.