FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   What is the rationale for SYD movement caps? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1259540-what-rationale-syd-movement-caps.html)

JDiver Sep 16, 2011 6:51 am

What is the rationale for SYD movement caps?

For some inane reason, SYD / Kingsford Smith has an aircrafts movements cap - only a certain number of movements is allowed per unit of time, regardless of the actual airport / ATC capacity. Check this audio tape* of ATC and Ground Control - aircraft must go out and park whilst waiting for the right time slot to be opened, not because of stotms, traffic capacity, but because of some possibly pilitical decision to establish these limitations?

Related article. Hair raising, if I had any. "The debacle is putting pressure on Sydney Airport, which in its submissions to the Productivity Commission, says the 80 landings plus takeoffs limit per hour places an artificial limit on the capacity of the runways and navigation technology to handle substantially more flights.

It has lobbied hard to have that cap lifted, but publicly acknowledges that the limits are engraved in stone for political reasons."

*Start at about 18:25 and take some time to listen how pilots are being directed to park it until the right time opens... 23:30 and on the airport movement cap is discussed... What on earth are my cousins in Godzone doing? Please forgive my incredulousness, but crikey! :confused:

How is this affecting people travelling in and out of SYD?

Nugget_Oz Sep 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 17119532)
For some inane reason, SYD / Kingsford Smith has an aircrafts movements cap - only a certain number of movements is allowed per unit of time, regardless of the actual airport / ATC capacity. Check this audio tape* of ATC and Ground Control - aircraft must go out and park whilst waiting for the right time slot to be opened, not because of stotms, traffic capacity, but because of some possibly pilitical decision to establish these limitations?

Related article. Hair raising, if I had any. "The debacle is putting pressure on Sydney Airport, which in its submissions to the Productivity Commission, says the 80 landings plus takeoffs limit per hour places an artificial limit on the capacity of the runways and navigation technology to handle substantially more flights.

It has lobbied hard to have that cap lifted, but publicly acknowledges that the limits are engraved in stone for political reasons."

*Start at about 18:25 and take some time to listen how pilots are being directed to park it until the right time opens... 23:30 and on the airport movement cap is discussed... What on earth are my cousins in Godzone doing? Please forgive my incredulousness, but crikey! :confused:

How is this affecting people travelling in and out of SYD?

As the airport has acknowledged the cap is there for political reasons. SYD/YSSY is in an area where there is a significant population and a large number of electorates electing powerful members. This is why the E/W is rarely used and the airport operating plan requires (weather permitting) take-offs into Botany Bay. The movement restriction is for the same reason there is one at SNA although admitted SNA does not serve the major city of a country.

As for your second question as to how it is affecting travelers, it costs a lot more to get a plane in to SYD/YSSY and it's the travelers who will pay.

bensyd Sep 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz (Post 17121519)
This is why the E/W is rarely used and the airport operating plan requires (weather permitting) take-offs into Botany Bay.

Just an observation, but over the past few months I've notice the E/W runway being used a lot more than usual. I work out in Alexandria and this is purely observational. Maybe now that the Libs are in they're punishing Kristina!

number_6 Sep 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Dozens of airports have past or present aircraft movement limitations, in lots of different countries, so it is hardly unique to SYD! As for the OP's somewhat rhetorical question, the answer is almost always the same: it is part of a noise abatement or pollution abatement plan! Capping plane movements is not the only way to accomplish the same thing; LAX is a great example, where the plan has not capped aircraft movements but instead has capped gates and even car/bus movements (forcing deliberate traffic bottlenecks and consolidation of shuttle bus service). Which is less convenient for pax is a good question.