Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long to stay in Australia 4 Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

How long to stay in Australia 4 Vacation

I am planning a trip to Australia with my wife and flying into Sydney, I don't really have any time constraints and this will be our first time there. We were planning a week to explore the country but how long is an ideal amount of time to spend exploring Australia without getting bored?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL
If you're from the US, my understanding is that Australia is roughly about the same size minus Alaska or about there. I was told a month minimum but realistically, it isn't uncommon for people to get temporary work visas and spend a few months from what I understand.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Well the most we can be there for is about 8 days so anyone got any suggestions on what to do there?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
If you're from the US, my understanding is that Australia is roughly about the same size minus Alaska or about there. I was told a month minimum but realistically, it isn't uncommon for people to get temporary work visas and spend a few months from what I understand.
Yes Aust is about the same size as the 48 staes
SYD-PER = 2410 miles compre with NYC-LAX = 2463 miles
MEL-DRW = 1941 miles compare with MIA-ORD = 1197 miles
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ared_to_the_US
http://www.anbg.gov.au/maps/aust-usa-map.jpg

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 2, 2011 at 3:12 am
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
A lot of variables but not a lot in 8 days! What do you like to do? Beach? Mountains? Cities? Country towns? Wineries? Food?

With that amount of time really have to pick a couple of things and minimise the travel.

Where are you coming from as jet lag can eat up a day or two as well.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
We were planning a week to explore the country but how long is an ideal amount of time to spend exploring Australia without getting bored?
Um, really?

Do you just mean around Sydney, or do you really mean the country of Australia?

As stated, it's a massive country. You could spend 6 months there without getting bored, as long as you kept moving.

I think 4 weeks is a nice number to see the major sites and take a few detours along the way.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Too many
As he said he has 8 days.

A couple of options.

3 nights in Melbourne (good food, shopping, some scenic tours?
3 nights in Sydney (bridge climb, harbor, zoo, cruising)
And then maybe 2 nights at Uluru if you like sacred sights in the dessert, the 2 nights in the great barrier reef.

You will need to take internal flights to all these places which is easy to do.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: Too many
And as an after thought... I have lived here for 30 years. There is always somewhere to go, something to see and is not a boring country like some others.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jinxy
As he said he has 8 days.

A couple of options.

3 nights in Melbourne (good food, shopping, some scenic tours?
3 nights in Sydney (bridge climb, harbor, zoo, cruising)
And then maybe 2 nights at Uluru if you like sacred sights in the dessert, the 2 nights in the great barrier reef.

You will need to take internal flights to all these places which is easy to do.
Thanks for that! That's pretty much what we're going to do.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:15 am
Original Poster

On another note:

We're used to hotels in the US asking to see an ID upon checking in. But what about in Australia?

What do AU hotels usually ask for during check-in : some form of ID, passport, or even ask to make photocopies of it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:48 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
On another note:

We're used to hotels in the US asking to see an ID upon checking in. But what about in Australia?

What do AU hotels usually ask for during check-in : some form of ID, passport, or even ask to make photocopies of it?
There is no national policy, so it varies from hotel to hotel. Most are happy with no ID as long as there is some assurance to cover damages from your stay (such as credit card). The major US chains (Hilton, Starwood, Hyatt, etc.) require ID as per their US policies, but Australian chains do not. Passports are never required (unlike some countries in Europe).
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:12 am
Suspended

I am planning a trip to Australia with my wife and flying into Sydney, I don't really have any time constraints and this will be our first time there. We were planning a week to explore the country but how long is an ideal amount of time to spend exploring Australia without getting bored?
I visited this countries last year for 10 days, it was a so nice tour, i have reserved in a nice hotel in Sydney; it really known for its splendid beauty and rugged charm.
There is a vaied business directories which can help australian visitors to find their suitable ways in all over the world
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.