liquid/gel rules on Australian domestic flights

Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

liquid/gel rules on Australian domestic flights

Are there any rules regulated liquid and gels in carry-on luggage in Australia on domestic flights?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Provide that it is going from a domestic terminal, there is none!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:09 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
A few liquids are banned as inflammable or explosive (for example, camp gas -- non-trivial given preponderance of adventure tourism), and of course international flights have the standard liquid restriction, including domestic sectors of international flights (which generally leave from the international terminal instead of the domestic). Being able to carry wine on board is rather refreshing and seems to be just as safe as in the US where it is banned above 100ml.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

thank you for the details response, I was wondering why some flights on JetStar were labeled as leaving from the international terminal.

Originally Posted by number_6
A few liquids are banned as inflammable or explosive (for example, camp gas -- non-trivial given preponderance of adventure tourism), and of course international flights have the standard liquid restriction, including domestic sectors of international flights (which generally leave from the international terminal instead of the domestic). Being able to carry wine on board is rather refreshing and seems to be just as safe as in the US where it is banned above 100ml.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:22 am
Original Member

QF has mostly stopped running tag-ends of international flights (with international service level!) but JQ runs several. Also UA SYD-MEL-SYD is "international" with international rules (restricted liquids). At some airports the int and domestic terminals are far apart so it matters quite a bit which it is. A quaint legacy of the time when Australian airlines were split between domestic and international and never the twain shall meet. A bit like PanAm I suppose.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
QF has mostly stopped running tag-ends of international flights (with international service level!) but JQ runs several. Also UA SYD-MEL-SYD is "international" with international rules (restricted liquids). At some airports the int and domestic terminals are far apart so it matters quite a bit which it is. A quaint legacy of the time when Australian airlines were split between domestic and international and never the twain shall meet. A bit like PanAm I suppose.
But UA can't sell SYD-MEL on its own
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
And your point is?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
But pax can have a stopover in SYD, for example, before flying UA SYD-MEL ... so it feels like a domestic flight, but with international rules. I suppose those won't surprise any UA flyers

Within 2 years the EU will allow liquids on flights (with the installation of new scanner technology at all EU airports). Wonder if the US has a similar plan?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I was told at MEL that aerosols were not permitted in hand luggage. Other liquids were fine
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I was told at MEL that aerosols were not permitted in hand luggage. Other liquids were fine
They are permitted - but must have a lid/cap, and in some cases you will be asked to remove them and have them screened separately.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
They are permitted - but must have a lid/cap, and in some cases you will be asked to remove them and have them screened separately.

My shaving foam (with lid) was taken away. It wasn't a big deal but they were clear it wasn't allowed
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
My shaving foam (with lid) was taken away. It wasn't a big deal but they were clear it wasn't allowed
Very strange. It's not a prohibited item: Refer to:
http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dl...D::pc=PC_90372

Shaving foam fits under "Non-radioactive medicinal or toilet articles (including aerosols) such as hairsprays, perfumes, colognes and medicines containing alcohol. " and is allowed in carry-on baggage and checked baggage.

There are a couple of exclusions:
"Note - The total net quantity of aerosols, toiletries and medicinal articles must not exceed 2 kg or 2 litres, and the net quantity of each single article must not exceed 0.5 kg or 0.5L.
Note - Ensure the protective cap is fitted to aerosols in order to prevent inadvertent release of the contents."
Old Mar 20, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: QFF, HH
No problem taking my hairspray through - just put it in the tray with my laptop and all good (lid on, of course) !
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
So ... just to confirm, I am flying JQ 946 from Melbourne to Cairns this weekend. My itinerary shows it leaving from MEL T1 Domestic. So it sounds like I can carry on (in my hand luggage) a 750 mL bottle of wine ... correct?

Would appreciate if someone could confirm this still to be correct. Many thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: VA Gold; IHG Diamond Elite; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by catgirl
So ... just to confirm, I am flying JQ 946 from Melbourne to Cairns this weekend. My itinerary shows it leaving from MEL T1 Domestic. So it sounds like I can carry on (in my hand luggage) a 750 mL bottle of wine ... correct?

Would appreciate if someone could confirm this still to be correct. Many thanks!
Yes, you certainly can take a bottle of wine, or two with you. I've taken 9 on board once.

Thankfully CASA didn't implement the rest of the world's kneejerk reaction to liquids and gels for domestic flights. It's still a bain of contention for international flights, especially as a large number of pax coming to Australia have to go through somewhere else first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.