Wiki Posts
Search

Australian Dollar

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
USD finally gaining ground on AUD and NZD ... just in time for my Fall trip

Love to see the AUD back in low 90s and NZD back in the mid 70s !
^^^
Old May 20, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: QF, HH
Hmm, what a pity we're goin' down again. Just when I start thinking about purchasing some NZ$$. True, not pounds or euros, but you know what they say - every little cent adds up in the end!

Something tells me the Australian dollar may stick around below US$1 for a while now, what do you reckon?
Old May 22, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Something tells me the Australian dollar may stick around below US$1 for a while now, what do you reckon?
I reckon it's a gamble, like it always is.

If anyone thinks otherwise, then I'm taking doubles bets on More Joyous for the Cup and Collingwood for the Flag.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mandolino
I reckon it's a gamble, like it always is.

Yep ... currencies rarely stay the same for very long.

US Funds interest rates have been near 0% since 2008 ? ... but when they start to rise I think many things will change.

Last edited by im-headed-west; May 22, 2013 at 5:28 am
Old May 24, 2013, 2:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
If anyone thinks otherwise, then I'm taking doubles bets on More Joyous for the Cup and Collingwood for the Flag.
How do Collingwood supporters celebrate a win? They go home and brush their tooth.

Apparently, the toothbrush was invented by the Collingwood Football Club. Anyone else would have called it a "teethbrush"!

Any more jokes about the most despised club in the AFL?

Dave
Old May 25, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Gold
Hoping the AUD drop continues into August! Would be a nice 5-10% discount off what I expected when booking.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Hoping the AUD drop continues into August! Would be a nice 5-10% discount off what I expected when booking.
Yep ... need to increase my nights in Sydney this Fall. Might actually be able to afford a few non-Hungry Jack meals

AUD at a 52 week low !
Old May 29, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Interesting to compare the last eight weeks with the same eight weeks last year:

Old May 30, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by serfty
Interesting to compare the last eight weeks with the same eight weeks last year:

Hey, nice work Serfty, that's really interesting.

As an aside, as someone who spent much time traveling when the AUD was worth in the 60 cent range USD (and even less) I can see where foreigners are coming from when they're feeling that Oz is expensive, but I really can't have any sympathy. Them's the breaks, and now it's our turn to feel wealthy when we travel overseas.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:14 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by thadocta
How do Collingwood supporters celebrate a win? They go home and brush their tooth.

Apparently, the toothbrush was invented by the Collingwood Football Club. Anyone else would have called it a "teethbrush"!

Any more jokes about the most despised club in the AFL?

Dave
Here's one: "Eddie McGuire".
Old May 30, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
...Them's the breaks, and now it's our turn to feel wealthy when we travel overseas.
I like it better the other way !!!

Old May 31, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Me, too! My wife and I have been to Australia several times, but not in more than a decade. The poor exchange rate, distance and unexciting ff mile redemptions have kept us away. We're finally taking the kids this (northern) summer on a multi-week trip. It looks expensive, so every bit helps. I still don't think we'll be doing much "fine dining." I see a lot of takeaway, pub and supermarket food in my future.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:40 am

I see a lot of takeaway, pub and supermarket food in my future.
Pub food isn't that cheap in Australia any more.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pub food isn't that cheap in Australia any more.
Aw, we're gonna starve.

If I have access to a grill, can I at least buy some affordable steaks at the supermarket? I assume beef is still cheap; they sell the Australian ribeyes cheaper than the American ones at my local USA supermarket. And it's a long, expensive journey for those Aussie steaks to make, so I assume (hope?) they're even cheaper in their home country.

I remember that chicken tends to be expensive in Australia. That's OK; we were in India earlier this year, and haven't fully recovered from having chicken be the only meat we could get.

The only place I've ever really suffered sticker shock in a supermarket was in Scandinavia.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:15 pm

Beef and mutton/lamb is certainly affordable, but I wouldn't say "cheap".

I'm coming from the perspective of a UK resident who visits Australia twice a year, most recently returned two weeks ago. The last week was spent in a self-catering apartment in Perth, cooking for myself in the evening. The previous two weeks, I was eating out. You can still get surprisingly good wine for under $15/bottle and plenty of drinkable wine under $10, with the odd very good bargain in that range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.