Wiki Posts
Search

Australia/NZ Minimum Connect Times for Principal Airports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by number_6
MCT is airline specific and rarely varies by airport; as you have found out, elite status allows for shorter MCT sometimes. QF publishes the MCT in the GDS used by agents, so that is the definitive source (I don't have access to that directly). I've seen QF pubs that specify domestic MCT of 60 min and international MCT of 120 min within Australia. My own experience is that those times are sufficient in normal conditions.
That matches my limited experience.

Originally Posted by thewinchester
Elite status has no bearing on the MCT for a flight.
That is true as a technical matter - MCT is published for flights.

However as a practical matter your cabin and elite status may be an important factor in determining whether you can make a short connection particularly when your initial flight is delayed. For example, business and first class passengers disembark first and receive preferential treatment at SYD immigration (and maybe other locations?) So someone flying business class and transiting from international arrival to domestic departure at SYD has a much better chance of making a short connection than someone in the cattle car.

MCT is not a guarantee and doesn't help you if you miss your connection (though presumably passengers who comply with MCT will have no trouble being accommodated on missed connections, particularly when flying the same airline through).
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boraxo

MCT is not a guarantee and doesn't help you if you miss your connection (though presumably passengers who comply with MCT will have no trouble being accommodated on missed connections, particularly when flying the same airline through).
It is only a connection if it is on the same ticket. If on the same ticket and miss the flight, then the airline is obligated to get you to the onward destination. If on different tickets, then you just become a now show for the onward flight and may be subject to any penalties for no show

Anything that an airline does beyond that is purely at their generosity

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
Would an extra half hour--arriving at 8:35--give us enough time?
I think that it is still too close for a separate booking. There is no amount of time that can be a guarantee of meeting the connection , but 2.5 hours would sill be far too close for comfort for me
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Ended up taking the earlier flight arriving at 8:00, so three hours connection time. As it worked out, the very helpful ticket agent in Sydney interlined our bags to PX, so we had more than enough time. Had we had to collect bags in BNE, three hours would have been barely sufficient.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:12 am

I have also had QF interline PX on separate tickets. Strangely, the one time they were unable to interline was when I had the flights on the same ticket and was even on the QF codeshare part of the PX leg.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Rather then start something new... the topic is the same..
I have a booking on awards on CX for C class from HKG-AKL on waitlest but it just seems like mission impossible 20... so need back up plans..
I need to be flying from HKG-ZQN via SYD... the only problem is QF128-QF121 is 55mins.... just miss the legal connection limit by 5mins... Will QF agents let me book this? Such a pain in the butt if they rejected my request... sigh..
Am I out of luck?
Cheers in advance...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:49 am

Ifit is not a legal connection, they will not allow it to be booked
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Ifit is not a legal connection, they will not allow it to be booked
Cheers Dave... No way to cheat it? Dam... Looks like have to have other plans... sigh.. cos it all started here... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...d-success.html
Looking into award options of CX or QF from HKG-AKL but really need to be in ZQN... but getting to AKL with 1hr 20min sprint from getting off to Domestic... a wake up call time to get my new NZ new passport as well... The beep test of 10 should be ok to push luggage and run from Int-Dom in 10mins
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Wongo
No way to cheat it?
I suspect that the only way is to do it on two separate tickets. But then you incur a whole new pile of risk arising out of a misconnect, if it happens.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I suspect that the only way is to do it on two separate tickets. But then you incur a whole new pile of risk arising out of a misconnect, if it happens.
In truth.. thought of it... reality.. if I try to check it in all the way HKG-AKL... chances are they will still refused to check me all the way... unless I travel with no luggage then I might still have to count my lucky stars....
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wongo
... reality.. if I try to check it in all the way HKG-AKL... chances are they will still refused to check me all the way...
Checked luggage is definitely not a good idea if you're trying to gamble on making an illegal connection!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Checked luggage is definitely not a good idea if you're trying to gamble on making an illegal connection!
Back to drawing board... what to do with 260k QF or 140K AM... without wasting it on routes you don't really need... arg
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:08 pm

Connection time at MEL

Am flying int MEL from SIN on QF0010. The flight arrives at 6.30 am and I need to connect to a flight to SYD. They have suggested I go for the 8.30am flight. Is this enough time to connect and can I check my bags through (Qantas themselves are not sure??)
Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by amit1978
Am flying int MEL from SIN on QF0010. The flight arrives at 6.30 am and I need to connect to a flight to SYD. They have suggested I go for the 8.30am flight. Is this enough time to connect and can I check my bags through (Qantas themselves are not sure??)
Thanks
Sounds quite legal; if you are delayed, they will just put you on the next flight

Given how frequent flights are between Sydney and Melbourne , I wouldn't be worried
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amit1978
... can I check my bags through (Qantas themselves are not sure??)
If you're flying SIN-MEL-SYD and the MEL-SYD flight is domestic (ie operates between the domestic terminals), then you'll have to clear immigration, collect your bags and clear customs at MEL anyway before going to drop the bags at the domestic terminal. But as the "terminals" are all in one contiguous building, that's not nearly as much of a problem as an international -> domestic connection at (say) SYD.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:55 pm

What's MCT for CNS international to domestic QF to QF? The flight I want leaves an hour after arrival but doesn't appear to be allowed. It would be unfortunate if it's not allowed as I tend to get through CNS in less than 15 minutes even with checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.