Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb

Has anybody even gone on this bridge climb? The Marriott is recommending it for our stay in October... How's the weather around the middle of October?

http://www.bridgeclimb.com/
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
A few people here have, and most people rate it highly, if a bit expensive.

The weather in October is generally quite good, not too hot, not too cold, and not usually wet.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Thumbs up Harbor BridgeClimb experience

I took the twilight Harbor Bridge Climb on my last trip to Sydney. Yes, it is expensive, but it is fantastic experience, fun and totally worth the cost, in my opinion.

As a matter of fact, I was the only "tourist" on my Climb. All the others were Australians, most from the Sydney vicinity. For some it was because of a birthday or some other life event. Everyone had a blast, the guide was superb, very personable and the entire experience was exceptionally professional.

I would do it again on another trip to Sydney.

The views from the top of the bridge at dusk were spectacular, and then we finished the Climb at night with the city lights twinkling all around.

^
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by secretsea18
I took the twilight Harbor Bridge Climb on my last trip to Sydney. Yes, it is expensive, but it is fantastic experience, fun and totally worth the cost, in my opinion.

As a matter of fact, I was the only "tourist" on my Climb. All the others were Australians, most from the Sydney vicinity. For some it was because of a birthday or some other life event. Everyone had a blast, the guide was superb, very personable and the entire experience was exceptionally professional.

I would do it again on another trip to Sydney.

The views from the top of the bridge at dusk were spectacular, and then we finished the Climb at night with the city lights twinkling all around.

^
Were you able to bring a camera on the tour?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:40 pm

Yes u can bring your own camera on the bridge climb.
They tie it to your body so it wouldnt accidentally drop below.

Personally, I think it's overrated as it's quite pricey.
It's an ok attraction but if u miss it, it's no big deal.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Were you able to bring a camera on the tour?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:57 pm

Please note...

...the last paragraph here.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlhall
...the last paragraph here.
I wondered about that, which is why I also asked. My DSLR has a strap that goes around my neck, which I could definitely attach to me if needed..
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:06 pm

We weren't allowed cameras

We did the twilight climb as well this past April and loved it ... a highlight of our 3 week trip to OZ. It was a full moon on the night we went which added to the fun! However, we were not allowed to bring any type of camera. As a matter of fact, they don't let you carry anything besides glasses (attached with strap) and approved gear. Yes, they do take a photo and yes, it's expensive ... that's why some folks feel no cameras are allowed. Once up on the bridge, I could understand the rationale ... having folks stop to take photos would be terribly disruptive and time consuming on an already long tour and if perchance a camera were to fall (even if clipped on) from those heights, it would be extremely dangerous to traffic and pedestrians below.

If you are considering the Marriott by the Harbour, we stayed there at the end of our trip and felt it was a good option. We choose the concierge level to enjoy the added amenities offered. The location was perfect!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:07 pm
Suspended

I did it and it was great. As I recall they have photogs and they sell you pics after.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I wondered about that, which is why I also asked. My DSLR has a strap that goes around my neck, which I could definitely attach to me if needed..
Doesn't matter - regardless of how safe your strap is, you won't be able to take your camera up.

As the page showed, you'll be issued an overall to wear. They even breath test you for alcohol.

The whole thing isn't rushed, while you do have to keep moving, the group doesn't move very quickly. They'll take 2 photos for you. One is of you (can include your partner) and the other is of the entire group. You'll be able to purchase it afterwards.

There will be many production-ised photos of the scenrey for your purchase too.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:08 am

Has anybody even gone on this bridge climb? The Marriott is recommending it for our stay in October... How's the weather around the middle of October?

http://www.bridgeclimb.com/
I'd rate it as one of the top 5 things to do in Sydney for sure.

When I was a concierge in Sydney it was the first thing I would recommend for tourists to do, you just have to cross it off your list. Twighlight climb is best for obvious reasons but no matter what time you go up you will appreciate the experience.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:46 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by vecta
...When I was a concierge in Sydney it was the first thing I would recommend for tourists to do....
The 10% kickback, errrr joint marketing allowance, undoubtedly helped too

Of course tourists are cash cows, and the Bridge Climb is the prime milking shed in SYD. Happy cows give the best milk.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: QFF, HH
I did the bridge climb a couple of years ago with a conference group, and it's quite a lengthy exercise and no, we were not allowed to take camera's or anything else.

From memory it took the better part of an hour for us to change into overalls, have the safety demo and be screened for the climb, before we even started,

The climb itself was pretty easy and the view spectacular ... unfortunately we only made it to about 10m to the actual top, as we were almost there when an electrical storm hit and we all had to get off the bridge v quickly ! (that was speccy from up so high too, though !)

I'd say it is worth the effort, although it is pricey, but it's a fantastic way to see Sydney !
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:21 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
They now offer a new "Express" climb which takes 2 hours (vs 3-4 hours for the regular climb), so the tour company has realized the need for a faster climb. There is a breathalyzer test, so no drink and climbing!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:51 pm

We did it during our last visit to Sydney and it was definitely a highlight. My wife, who is terrified of heights and was very apprehensive about the whole idea, absolutely loved it once she was out there.

Yes it's expensive, and you do have to buy their photos (the only personal item you can take are sunglasses) but where else can you get such a view of one of the prettiest harbours and cities in the world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.