SYDNEY what to see & do?

Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:30 pm

i really like this thread. I'm going to Sydney for work/elective in March-April (total time 25 days including flights). probably using wolfit for a place to stay as I would like it to be under 100/day. Am looking foward to weekends off and possibly several weekdays. I will be at the Campelltown USW campus. any advice for march-april (though its months away). Just so you know: either during weekends or my last week in australia i'm gonna try to hit up the GBR and Uluru also.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by will5404
I did it as a day trip last year, in retrospect would of preferred to spend the night there. If you have to do a same day return you don't really have enough time to explore the area.
I agree. I was in Sydney last month and hit up Katoomba as a day trip as well. The trails are great but you need to stay the night to cover the whole area.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:47 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Just as a counterpoint, I did a day trip to Katoomba in January and felt it was OK. I walked the Furber steps and 2.5 other trails (would have been 3 but thunder and lightning turned up in a big way) and was still back in the Rocks for 8pm. But that isn't to say I wouldn't have enjoyed overnighting and seeing even more of the area (I'll be going back there for another day trip in October, in fact)
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
We'll be staying in Sydney for two nights mid-October. Any suggestions for good excursions? I was thinking about the bridge climb, but it seems a bit more than I want to spend.. Any good companies for harbor tours?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Whale watching at that time of the year is also an option for a day trip.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Is there a particular reason why this thread is a sticky?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by bensyd
Is there a particular reason why this thread is a sticky?
Probably because this particular question (more than any other specific location question) gets asked every two weeks or so, by making it a sticky it might answer some questions before they get asked.

Dave
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:56 am
Suspended

I did a day trip to Port Stephens last year and I really enjoyed it. We did some sand boarding and we went on a cruise to see dolphins/whales. The scenery along the coast was spectacular.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Originally Posted by mcbg1
I did a day trip to Port Stephens last year and I really enjoyed it. We did some sand boarding and we went on a cruise to see dolphins/whales. The scenery along the coast was spectacular.
Hey McBG1,

This sounds awesome. Mind elaborating a little bit more? Did you rent a car and drive to Port Stephens? From there, did you take a tour for sand boarding or just drove to the dunes yourself somehow?

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by melampus83
Hey McBG1,

This sounds awesome. Mind elaborating a little bit more? Did you rent a car and drive to Port Stephens? From there, did you take a tour for sand boarding or just drove to the dunes yourself somehow?

Thanks!
We just went with a small group tour (maybe 6 persons total) but I'm sure you can do it yourself by renting a car. It's a long day though so I prefered to let someone take me around. Most people were sleeping on the drive back to the hotel.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
There are a lot of tour choices from Sydney to Port Stephens but here's one: http://www.viator.com/tours/Sydney/P...e/d357-2230S37
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:27 am
Suspended

Sydney is pretty easy to go around. Get a blue weekly (bus & ferry around cbd and eastern suburbs) or red weekly (Bus, Ferry and train). For sydney I'll be going to:

Watson's bay (the gap - best view in sydney)
Bondi Beach
Manly
Taronga zoo
Sydney fish market
Haymarket (flea market thursday to sunday)
La Perouse
Chatswood
Homebush/olympic ground

Near sydney:
Wollongong
Blue mountain
Jenolan caves.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by 9Benua
Sydney is pretty easy to go around. Get a blue weekly (bus & ferry around cbd and eastern suburbs) or red weekly (Bus, Ferry and train).
You really do need to update your info - those tickets have not been available for eleven months now.

To the OP, read back further in the thread for information which is actually useful.

Dave
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:05 am
Suspended

hahahahaha I agree!!! ;-)
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by mcbg1
+1 on Port Stephens, I was there a few weeks ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.