Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 23, 11, 5:03 pm   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Benua View Post
Sydney is pretty easy to go around. Get a blue weekly (bus & ferry around cbd and eastern suburbs) or red weekly (Bus, Ferry and train). For sydney I'll be going to:

Watson's bay (the gap - best view in sydney)
Bondi Beach
Manly
Taronga zoo
Sydney fish market
Haymarket (flea market thursday to sunday)
La Perouse
Chatswood
Homebush/olympic ground

Near sydney:
Wollongong
Blue mountain
Jenolan caves.
It's call MyMulti zone 1,2 or 3 now. I got the MyMulti 3, week pass and went everywhere.
Denont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 11, 5:10 am   #47

Programs: Mucci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denont View Post
It's call MyMulti zone 1,2 or 3 now. I got the MyMulti 3, week pass and went everywhere.
Which is exactly what I said, quite a few months ago now.

Dave
Old Jul 4, 11, 1:30 am   #48

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
We just returned from a week in Sydney.

The highlight of our stay was a day excursion to the Hunter Valley for wine tasting with Kangariffic Tours. www.kangariffictours.com

The minibus holds 12 passengers plus Sam Collins the tour guide and driver.

On the way is a stop at a small wildlife foundation for tea, biscuits, and face time with kangaroos, wallabies, and koalas. We even got to pet a baby koala!

We also stopped at a chocolate factory for tastes and at the Smelly Cheese Shop for cheese and olive oil tastings in addition to three winery visits. At the 2nd winery are assorted food establishments in all price ranges and you are on your own for lunch but the food is very reasonable, especially compared to Sydney prices .

The wineries were lovely and all produced excellent wines, most of which were only available at the wineries. All three had different wine styles and had very generous pours.

On the return was a brewery stop for an optional pint.

Sam picked us up and returned us to our hotel. The cost was $99 AUD which we felt was a bargain. Sam is a funny, personable guy and the group we were with was an international mix who all shared a passion for wine!

Highly recommended.

FrAAmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 11, 1:53 am   #49

Programs: QFF, Flying Blue, Enrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by *A Flyer View Post
10 days is a long time in Sydney. I would think about possibly splitting it 5/5 with Melbourne or 7/3 with Canberra. Neither of those should add much in travel cost (about $150 return by air with QF at the moment) and each has its own charms and attractions. The Hunter Valley is one option people haven't mentioned yet. It is the premier wine region in NSW and there are a number of operators that run day trips to the area.
five days is not enough time for Sydney. The Canberra split 7/3 would be a better idea, but there is certainly enough in Sydney to fill in 10 days. Save Melbourne for another trip.
BadgerBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 11, 8:01 am   #50

Programs: QF|UA|DJ|AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAAmer View Post
On the way is a stop at a small wildlife foundation for tea, biscuits, and face time with kangaroos, wallabies, and koalas. We even got to pet a baby koala!
It's illegal in NSW to handle koalas, so the wildlife sanctuary was actually breaking the law.
bensyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 11, 9:03 am   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
It's illegal in NSW to handle koalas, so the wildlife sanctuary was actually breaking the law.
They didn't say they handled a koala, they just petted one. An employee was probably holding the koala while other people posed next to it (and possibly petting it in this case).

Last edited by mcbg1; Jul 6, 11 at 1:23 pm..
mcbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 11, 10:32 am   #52

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
They didn't say they handled a koala, they just petted one. An employee was probably holding the koala while other people posed next to it (and possibly petting it in this case).
Quite right - we didn't "handle" the Koala, the keeper held him and we were allowed to get up close and even pet him, albeit briefly. He certainly didn't seem to mind. In fact, the other Koalas were the most active in any place I have ever seen them. (San Diego has a large collection) Most of the time they are just sleeping. When the keeper entered the compound to pick one up, several came to him to be "selected."

This is a well respected sanctuary and I doubt they would ever do anything to compromise the safety of the animals. They all appeared to be very well cared for and the Kangaroos and Wallabies run free on the property choosing whether or not to interact with visitors. Some were very friendly and came right over, others were aloof and wanted nothing to do with us. They came and went on their own.

The father of the baby is a wild Koala that was hit by a car and had a shattered kneecap. He could not be returned to the wild and is prized for his dna/breeding ability so captive Koalas are not inbred. The mother was brought in from Darwin and was returned after the baby left the pouch.

This is not a "tourist trap" where busloads of tourists are paraded through, but a small, family run place that derives a portion of their income by allowing small groups to come into the park. I was happy that we could be there and think others would also enjoy the experience.
FrAAmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 11, 6:37 pm   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
By handling I meant making contact with the koala.
Old Jul 6, 11, 7:18 pm   #54

Quote:
By handling I meant making contact with the koala.
Petting koalas appears to be illegal in NSW (but not in other States) - and if it isn't then it should be. They are wild animals and don't deserve to be molested by photo-opportunity hungry tourists.
Old Jul 6, 11, 7:41 pm   #55

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post
Petting koalas appears to be illegal in NSW (but not in other States) - and if it isn't then it should be. They are wild animals and don't deserve to be molested by photo-opportunity hungry tourists.

Petting Koalas is not illegal, providing there is a qualified attendant there.
The Koala Park at West Pennant Hills, Featherdale Wildlife Park come to mind where this is legal and in fact encouraged.
Blackadder1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 11, 8:03 pm   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder1402 View Post
The Koala Park at West Pennant Hills, Featherdale Wildlife Park come to mind where this is legal and in fact encouraged.
I can't find any citation says that poking at koalas (or petting or whatever they might call it) by unlicensed people is legal in NSW.

I stand by my comment that if it isn't illegal then it should be.
Old Jul 6, 11, 9:01 pm   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder1402 View Post
Then I stand corrected.
Old Jul 6, 11, 10:24 pm   #58

Quote:
Then I stand corrected.
You needn't; it's only hearsay that it's either legal or encouraged.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Jul 6, 11 at 10:24 pm.. Reason: typo
Old Jul 28, 11, 7:56 pm   #59

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Ex Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., SPG Plat, Priority Club RA
Update on Sydney Travel passes

Just to let our visitors know - I have updated the travel pass information at the following link - Which travel pass in Sydney?
Happy travels. JohnSydney2000.
JohnSydney2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 11, 8:16 pm   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSydney2000 View Post
Just to let our visitors know - I have updated the travel pass information at the following link - Which travel pass in Sydney?
Happy travels. JohnSydney2000.
Great post, thanks for going to the trouble of updating it - it's also handy for those of us who live here.

Frighteningly we hit $1.10 US again yesterday, and it's hovering above that level today. not good news for our visitors.