Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia/New Zealand Newbie

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Australia/New Zealand Newbie

We are planning a trip to Aus/NZ. We plane to fly from Chicago to Brisbane then to Cairns for 4 nights then on to Sydney to board a Celebrity Cruise to New Zealand for 12 days. Cruise ends in Auckland and we plan to fly to Queenstown for 3 nights then home.

If we land in Brisbane at 8am and out flight to Cairns is at 9:40am is that enought time to clear customs and make outr flight? Are the domestic and international flights in the the same terminal? If not how mauch time should be allow?

If I book economy through Kayak can I pay for upgarde thru Qantas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions -
Old May 7, 2014, 10:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If the flights are on one ticket then yes and if your inbound flight is delayed you will be re accommodated. If they are separate tickets then it is your risk.

QF does not offer discount cash upgrades. You can pay the fare difference to upgrade however it will be cheaper to do this when booking.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:24 am

I suppose you're trying to connect from QF16 onto VA779 (9:40 dep), in which case the connection time is tight to say the least because you will need to catch the T-bus to domestic terminal which takes on average 20min from the moment you clear customs until you reach domestic terminal check in including wait time for T-bus. You'll also need to factor in the cost of the transfer (5 dollars pp). Working back from that, 50min is ample of time if your flight arrives on time, immigration queues are at minimum, and you're carry-on only, AND you're checked in already for your flight to Cairns.

Unless it changed recently, the VA domestic transfer desk located in the international terminal arrivals only accepts baggage for domestic connections that are on the same itineraries.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:29 am

VA/DL have good through fares to CNS, you could consider those?
Old May 7, 2014, 12:53 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] As this thread is not QF specific I will move to the Oceania forum. [/mod hat]
Old May 11, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I think it's too tight if you're not able to have the BNE-CNS on the same PNR as ORD-xxx-BNE, i.e. if they are 2 separate tickets, particularly coming from LAX/AKL or some other long-haul destination it's very risky and a slight delay will mean you will lose your BNE-CNS ticket and be stumping up cash for a fully flexible ticket at the airport which will be hundreds of $$$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.