Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia - Visa requirements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Australia - Visa requirements

Thinking of visiting Sydney for about a week in June this year. Can I get visa on arrival - I have an American passport? Is there a visa fee?

Thanks in advance for posting here.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Technically, you will not need a visa. You will, however, need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). The distinction is mostly semantics. You must apply for the ETA before arriving in Australia.

Some airlines will get it for you, often free if you're in paid F/J. You can get it directly from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship online at http://www.eta.immi.gov.au , for a charge of A$20 (about US$18). If you're not in a last-minute rush, and you're not eligible for a free ETA through your airline (or even if you are), you might want to check out the "Free Australian ETA Visa Application" sticky thread at the top of this forum. The folks who run it provide a real service and have raised a lot of money for many worthwhile charities, including $20 last year from me.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this something that you simply print out and bring with you? or do you have to mail your passport to them?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
For you own peace of mind just print out and bring with you, however all the details from the ETA are sent electronically to Immigration here in Aus.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:33 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this something that you simply print out and bring with you? or do you have to mail your passport to them?
You can print it out if you like but that won't do you any good. If your ETA (or visa) is not valid, the airline won't put you on the plane - if they fly you in without a valid ETA/visa, they'll be fined and made to fly you straight back again.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
When you apply online at the above website, you enter you passport number and some additional information, then pay the fee. It is a very simple process. You will then receive an email comfirmation within 24 hours. You do not need to print anything out, it is all entered into the Australian immigration system online. Very slick system.

You can print out the confirmation for your own peace of mind, but like the OP said, it is not necessary at all
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Although you don't NEED to print out anything related to the ETA, I would strongly suggest that you do bring along a printed copy of your confirmation with you. Always better safe than sorry.

At least that was the case with my NZ flight last October - LAX-AKL-MEL. Upon checking in at LAX, there seemed to be some problem with my ETA and they were about to deny me boarding. I think some computer glitch had transposed the numbers or something like that - not really sure. Anyway...I fortunately had a copy of the confirmation, and one quick phone call by the NZ agent straightened everything out. Perhaps all this could have been accomplished without having my printed confirmation, but it sure seemed to make it easier.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Have you read the "sticky" thread by Guy Betsy at the top of this forum? Guy helped my family immensely for our trip to Australia last summer. Paying it forward is a great way to help out a charity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.