Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in Guam?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, AS,
What to do in Guam?

On an upcoming itinerary to Cairns Australia I have a one day layover in Guam. Is there anything that is a must see/do while I am there?
Jim
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I have not been there in 30+ years (used to go 6-8 times a year) but other than golf or scuba diving I seem to remember a drive around the island was rather interesting. One thing you will notice, unless they improved things, is that anything parked for a day or two gets absorbed into the jungle.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:53 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Since you are flying in 24 hours, you can't dive.

If you are staying in a hotel in the main tourist area of Tumon, there are swimming beaches right there, a shopping area which caters to Japanese, including restaurants, an arcade and large aquarium.

If you rent a car, you might drive north to Ritidian Beach, a national seashore where you can walk for miles on a desolate beach. Another option depending on how many hours you actually have, is to circumnavigate the island in a car. Lots of historic sites, beaches and small villages.

FWIW, Cairns is lovely, they have done so much to improve the waterfront/ marinas, etc. Be sure to check out the Cock n Bull Pub if you like pubs.

Last edited by donnyb; Sep 27, 2008 at 7:57 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 28, 2008, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by donnyb
Since you are flying in 24 hours, you can't dive.

If you are staying in a hotel in the main tourist area of Tumon, there are swimming beaches right there, a shopping area which caters to Japanese, including restaurants, an arcade and large aquarium.

If you rent a car, you might drive north to Ritidian Beach, a national seashore where you can walk for miles on a desolate beach. Another option depending on how many hours you actually have, is to circumnavigate the island in a car. Lots of historic sites, beaches and small villages.

FWIW, Cairns is lovely, they have done so much to improve the waterfront/ marinas, etc. Be sure to check out the Cock n Bull Pub if you like pubs.
For Guam the south part of the island is nice, with a few good viewpoints and the old fort. They did a pretty good job with the War in the Pacific national park/monument near the middle of the west coast, though it takes some imagination to envision the battle. They did try to preserve a couple of places where the Japanese were dug in.

The main bay arc with the swimming beaches is nice, and you can go out quite some distance in spots and just be waist deep. Lots of sea cucumbers. That Two Lovers point at one end of the bay is quite a spectacular view.

As for Cairns, it's hard to beat the Woolshed for irrational energy late at night.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, AS,
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I wish we could dive, but we probably will do some snorkeling. We are renting a car and will drive around and see what we can with the little time that we have. Haven't been to the cock n bull, but have been to the woolshed several times.
Jim
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Does anyone have experience with the Guam public bus system? a map? I understand the routes/schedules serve the working residents, but it's my only option. Wondering if I can get to any interesting sites via bus. Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: NWA/DL
The island is beautiful...lived there for two years as a child. The drive around the island is beautiful and well worth it. Check out Talafofo Falls if it is still open to the public (I remembered it closed then opened several times). Tumon Bay is pretty and Two Lovers Leap is nice to visit too. You can see some beautiful ocean sunsets on the island....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.