Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 20, 10, 12:10 pm   #1

Verizon in Bora Bora?

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has tried using their VZW phone(s) in Bora Bora. Apparently, there's GSM voice coverage on most of Tahiti and a portion of Moorea (according to VZW's map of coverage). I don't see Bora Bora on the map so I assume it's not covered.

In either case, what's the least expensive SIM/service if I want to just make emergency calls while in Bora Bora, etc?

I know there's VINI, but I don't want to pay $50 as I'd intend for this to be strictly an emergency/short contact type of thing.

I've stumbled across Mobal and that seems like a pretty decent option. I have the HTC Ozone, so I should be good on the phone-side.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks!
jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 10, 11:05 pm   #2

I often use my Australian phone in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, etc) and have coverage everywhere. Occasionally the signal strength fluctuates but no more/less than any main city.

Looking at the VZW website they do have coverage in French Polynesia so I would say you would be fine in Bora Bora.
vecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 10, 2:15 pm   #3

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
My GSM phone works phone in both Papeete and Bora Bora. Didn't try using data but voice and txt are fine. Enjoy your trip!