Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver for Swine Flu Infected States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Will NW issue a travel waiver for state affected by the swine flu? I am supposed to travel to LAX this weekend and would rather push it back till they are not in a state of emergency. Any input?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: DL Gold
I'm doubting it. The main reason they've been waiving fees on flights to MX is because the State department has posted an advisory strongly recommending US citizens from traveling to Mexico, as far as I know there’s no such advisory for southern California. Since so many states now have confirmed cases, I don’t see them waiving domestic fees unless things escalate quite a bit…most of this has been media hype anyways IMO. Particularly in these economic times, I think the airlines are going to want to protest as much revenue as possible and keep seats filled. Allowing such changes opens themselves up to the possibility of huge losses from people that will inevitably exploit the system.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by NWDLCOAAUA
Will NW issue a travel waiver for state affected by the swine flu? I am supposed to travel to LAX this weekend and would rather push it back till they are not in a state of emergency. Any input?
A little paranoid, no? California's a big state. There's probably plenty of Californians with rabies exposure, HIV, whooping cough, etc. walking around right now. Would you postpone your trip because of them?

Resist the media frenzy.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by BearX220
A little paranoid, no? California's a big state. There's probably plenty of Californians with rabies exposure, HIV, whooping cough, etc. walking around right now. Would you postpone your trip because of them?

Resist the media frenzy.
Yeah, we're a veritable petri dish of things you don't want to be exposed to
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
In fact, I myself have rabies right now, and you don't read about travel advisories for SEA. There's nothing wrong with me at fjkl;gjgkrtl;jek[adfzf 34554 blaaargh.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I just thought I'd ask because my wife doesn't want me to do my MR to LAX.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:33 pm

Will NW issue a travel waiver for state affected by the swine flu?
For states in the United Mexican States, yes, there is a travel waiver in place. For states in the United States of America, no, there is no waiver.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Only a guess, but I would suspect the travel industry might be issuing waivers within the coming days for all travel. One can argue that it is overkill, but when schools start closing i.e.all Texas high school sporting events cancelled for next two weeks, businesses stop any unnecessary travel from reccomendation from the govt, etc.. (long list)
Things might come to a screeching halt and everyone is blindsided.

Look at it as a good reason to take a month long fishing trip at a cabin in the woods (something I would welcome).
Just my opinion. I hope it doesn't come to this but I think we have a good chance of it happening.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
My guess: Waiver limited to travelers to US and Mexico only

I'd suspect that there will be a waiver, not specific to any states, but for international travelers visiting US to rebook for a later travel, providing relief for international travelers. This summer is likely going to be hurt by this outbreak however. Travelers within the US are probably excluded as it's likely all states will be impacted in some way.

I know that some Japanese travel companies have already begun delaying their customer's travel....... It's unfortunate.

Jiburi
Old May 1, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
State of emergency? Wow...what news are you watching?
Old May 1, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's gonna be a little difficult since MEM found its first case yesterday. So should NW shut down the entire hublet?

So far, it doesn't seem to be much more (if any) than the normal flu.

A mountain out of a mole hill IMHO.

In MEM, no hand santitizer anywhere, no face masks anywhere. But some restaurants seem to have antibacterial wipes
Old May 1, 2009, 11:16 pm

Saying California is in a state of emergency is a bit of an overstatement.
Old May 2, 2009, 2:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by hur88
Saying California is in a state of emergency is a bit of an overstatement.
Well, we're always in a state of something... crisis, panic, disaster. But hey, roll with the punches. What else is there to do when a chunk of the State sits on a fault line that will cause half of it to drop into the ocean
Old May 2, 2009, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Well, we're always in a state of something... crisis, panic, disaster. But hey, roll with the punches. What else is there to do when a chunk of the State sits on a fault line that will cause half of it to drop into the ocean
If you're referring to the San Andreas Fault, it is a 'strike-slip' fault in which both plates involved are moving horizontally, not vertically, so it will not cause any portion of the state to drop into the ocean.
Old May 2, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
This morning, someone sitting across the aisle from me was wearing a mask, which i found particularly odd, considering there have been no reported cases in Georgia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.